Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com to go out of business soon?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-01, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

A friend of mine who worked for them for a year just got laid off along with about a hundred other people.

He swears that they will go under by the end of the year.

What do you all think?
Old 09-21-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Buy.com to go out of business soon?

Originally posted by slop101
A friend of mine who worked for them for a year just got laid off along with about a hundred other people.

He swears that they will go under by the end of the year.

What do you all think?
Many companies are laying off people.

Some will go out of business this year. Some won't.

Unless your friend is a market analyst or has some inside information, I wouldn't take his opinion any more or less seriously than the average person who is vaguely aware that buy.com laid people off.
Old 09-21-01, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would it surprise anyone if they did go under? I mean... they have the nerve to charge me sales tax! Those punks!

In all fairness, in my experience they are one of the most reliable companies online. Sure, they've had inventory and CSR problems in the past, but considering their expansive catalog of products and the average sales volume in comparison to other onliners, you've gotta be impressed with Buy. If it wasn't for the sales tax (for Indiana residence) and the lack of coupons, they'd be right up there with Amazon (yes, that's a compliment).
Old 09-21-01, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't think they've ever been profitable. Recently they raised pricing and elimiated coupons to make some money, and now people aren't buying anymore.
Bye-bye.
Old 09-21-01, 07:54 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Wouldn't surprise me. I don't think they've ever been profitable. Recently they raised pricing and elimiated coupons to make some money, and now people aren't buying anymore.
Bye-bye.

I used to shop with them quite a bit but they've priced themselves too high now.

I did notice though that they've got free shipping going right now, along with a 'not going out of business' sale.

Another thread around here mentions a good deal on the Simpsons box set and Citizen Kane. Too bad I already ordered these elsewhere.
Old 09-21-01, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
A few years back I ordered a few hundred dollars worth of music cds from them. They were having a sale that was good, but when they charged me it was even better. Each title was an average of 80 percent off!!!! If I knew that would happen, I would have gotten more.

That couldn't have helped their bottom line.
Old 09-21-01, 10:09 PM

See ya later bye.com, sooner the better.

saintsfan
Old 09-23-01, 02:47 PM

Yes, the sooner buy.com goes out of business the better! It is inefficient to have all these different companies with various degrees of inefficiency. We need only one operating system in this country as well (microsoft). That would be more efficent and save a LOT of people's time from arguing about different O/S. Only one type of single-cpu motherboard with SDMI driver chips. We would save a lot of non-productive time from pirated music and of course, without competition from bootlegs, the music companies would lower their music prices out of pure goodness of their hearts. Only one type of CDRW with SDMI controller chip because drive prices would be lower if no competition was allowed.

I actually hope that buy.com survives as long as it can. The more competition out there the better. Buy.com has been good to me and has delivered things in good time.

With regards to competition with buy.com and other places, for example, DDD/bestprices has an initial price when it starts selling a title and I've seen the prices change over time to beat their competitors as soon as the competitor started to stock that title. If there hadn't been a competitor to stock that title, then DDD/bestprices might have kept the price at its original higher price because they had no one else to beat.
Old 09-23-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by saintsfan
See ya later bye.com, sooner the better.

saintsfan
I have to disagree there. Buy.com has some of the best prices around as far as the major internet retailers, and I have always had good experience with their shipping and service. I like Buy.com.
Old 09-23-01, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always liked buy.com, I hope they stick around never had 1 complaint even when I accently ordered the same DVD twice they setn me a prepaid return envelope no questions asked.
Old 09-24-01, 09:21 AM

Last night while watching the LA local news (channel 7) I actually saw a advert. for Buy.com !

I bet they paid up front for it...
Old 09-24-01, 12:55 PM

Buy.com was a good retailer after reel.com went down. Coupons were everywhere and it made teh transition of looking for a new place to shop a lot easier.

A few months ago they started having some problems with them shipping orders that were not charged for. People like me that order a lot online did not notice so a few months later they send you an email to contact them for items that were already sent.

I think a bit after that is when the beginning of the end started. That and the fact that they show having an item on inventory when they really don't. Or that you can't cancel an order from them once it is placed.

They did provide some competition and kept things in check with other etailers like amazon and such so thats why there are still some coupons around at this day and age. They will be missed.
Old 09-24-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Reel.com now partnered with 800 instead of buy.com as of today

It's looking like Buy.com is going away.
Old 09-25-01, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So one out of business etailer (reel) teaming up with another has been etailer (800) signals the end of Buy?? How so?? I have several pre-orders with Buy that I have been getting by street dates on a regular basis with no problems whatsoever..doesnt look to me to be a sign of someone going out of businesss ..also they have never let you cancel orders easily..i know thats not good but it isnt something new thats signalling some type of downfall for them
Old 09-25-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be odd that buy.com would go out of business right now. The ex-founder recently (8/10) started the acquistion process and managed to get some financing. Since then the site has seen a redesign (today), renewal of credit card processing agreement, and the hiring of a new marketing firm for the next quarter.

Is it the death rattle, or is this the signs of Buy.com struggling through another xmas? Only time will tell.

The stock is at about 10 cents today. Snicker.

-Beebs