Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HKFlix Jackie Chan movies deal...opinions?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-01, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone....what are your opinions on the current Jackie Chan DVD blowout at HKFlix? Are these DVDs worth getting, both for the movies and the transfers? And they should be all region-coded 0 or 1, right?

Any and all comments appreciated as usual. I may consider buying some of them, or maybe even taking the combined deal if people think it is worth it.

Thanks,
David
Old 09-20-01, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The main problem I see with these is that they all contain the Mandarin dub, and not the original language soundtrack (Cantonese).
Old 09-20-01, 11:29 AM
Cool New Member

Not sure anything can be considered a "blow-out" at HKFlicks. They have some of the highest prices around. Not a bad selection though.

As for Jackie Chan DVD's, please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't many of the Cantonese versions essentially dubs too? Not always original Jackie's voice or the other characters.
Old 09-20-01, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say I'm tempted. I already have the American version of all of these (and the import of Who Am I?) but... it's Jackie so Does anyone else have any opinions? Has anyone actually seen any of these DVDs? How do they compare to the American ones? Are the imports of any of these available (it's been awhile since I've looked but I never had much luck in finding them)?

TIA
Old 09-20-01, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
All I know is I just ordered the THunderbolt VCD from DDDHouse - and then this comes out... grrr... I'd get the box set if it were 50 bucks shipped.
Old 09-20-01, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered the Region 2 version of Thunderbolt last month from www.dvdgo.com.

It's released by Columbia Tristar in Spain: 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, with 2.0 Cantonese soundtrack and English subtitles. IMHO, it's probably the best version out there.

And if anyone's interested, I've got the R0 widescreen version available to trade.
Old 09-21-01, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by RichardW

And if anyone's interested, I've got the R0 widescreen version available to trade.
I'm interested in this. Can you drop me an email ([email protected]) I tried sending one to you but it bounced...
Old 09-24-01, 06:43 PM

The pictures on the back of the Police Story 4: First Strike disc are actually pictures from Mr. Nice Guy. Anyone know if this is a packaging error or if the wrong movie is being sold as PS4?
Old 09-24-01, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by dvdguy
The pictures on the back of the Police Story 4: First Strike disc are actually pictures from Mr. Nice Guy. Anyone know if this is a packaging error or if the wrong movie is being sold as PS4?
The pictures on the back of the PS4: FS disc are from that movie, not Mr. Nice guy. Where did you see these pictures from the back of the disc?
Old 09-25-01, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by HKFlix

The pictures on the back of the PS4: FS disc are from that movie, not Mr. Nice guy. Where did you see these pictures from the back of the disc?
I got my copy yesterday and the pictures on mine are from Mr. Nice Guy too. I don't have it in front of me but one of the pictures is from the scene where Jackie is on the buzz saw table. I believe another pic is of Jackie running down the street, maybe another of Jackie's girlfriend Miki, I can't be sure. I am sure these are pictures from Mr. Nice Guy though.
Old 09-25-01, 03:51 PM

That's really weird. I'm looking at my copy now, and here are the 4 pictures on the back, going clockwise from top left:

1) Jackie and the girl sitting at a table with a large penguin behind them

2) Jackie giving her flowers, she's in her bikini

3) Jackie underwater with a large fish

4) Closeup of the girl in her bikini, with a towel on her shoulder.

You're sure you have the double-sided DVD from Funny (spine number DM043)? If so, I don't know what to say, maybe they just had some type of printing error on one batch of the sleeves.

-Mhat
Old 09-25-01, 07:49 PM

Yep, I have the Funny DM043 version. On the back it has, amid chinese characters, a "4" and "First Strike" but the pictures are as follows:

1. Jackie on the Buzz saw table.

2. Miki between the horses from the carriage scene.

3. Jackie with his hands over his head and fire behind him.

4. Jackie running from the bad guys from the buzz saw fight scene.

I'll open it up tonight and make sure it is in fact Police Story 4.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-01, 08:34 PM

That's really bizarre, I haven't come across any others like that in our warehouse. Please let us know if it's the right disc!
Old 09-25-01, 08:43 PM

Police Story 4

The original Funny issuing of Police Story 4 (Non-DTS version) featured the aforementioned shots from Mr Nice Guy on the rear cover. Whether this was corrected in future printing runs I can't say for sure, but suffice it to say that versions with this jacket do exist. At any rate the film on the disc is the correct title and the photos have no bearing on the release other than in the aesthetic department. While on the subject, did anyone notice that the Dolby 5.1 mix seems to be improperly mixed with a couple of channels switched during the mixing (to my recollection the center channel had seemed to have been encoded as the front right channel...)?
Old 09-25-01, 11:24 PM

Dear Furious

Why is it you think you Know it all?
When in fact you dont know jack.... There never was a DTS version that was a bootleg you well educated HK movie geek buff.

The only real version is the double sided Discs excluding thunderbolt . The so called DTS is played like a VCD The people who bootlegged This movie could not afford to make two stampers for each film that would cost to much so they decided That if they have to exclude 1 film it should be the American since its already released here. So they still have a problem how do market this film without an American version on one side?

So they slap on a DTS logo. so, Lets give a round of applause to Kenny who supplied muldoon with this nonsense. and Furious who carried out this stupid Crusade.

ALL DTS Jackies are bottlegs . THE END
Old 09-26-01, 04:55 AM

Re: Dear Furious

Originally posted by chaviec

Doesn't The Accidental Spy have a DTS soundtrack?
Old 09-26-01, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by chaviec
Why is it you think you Know it all?
When in fact you dont know jack.... There never was a DTS version that was a bootleg you well educated HK movie geek buff.

The only real version is the double sided Discs excluding thunderbolt . The so called DTS is played like a VCD The people who bootlegged This movie could not afford to make two stampers for each film that would cost to much so they decided That if they have to exclude 1 film it should be the American since its already released here. So they still have a problem how do market this film without an American version on one side?

So they slap on a DTS logo. so, Lets give a round of applause to Kenny who supplied muldoon with this nonsense. and Furious who carried out this stupid Crusade.

Just BecAuse you disagree with someoNe, doesN't mEan you have the right to Diss them. Personal Attacks are not tolerated here.

Yes - Accidental Spy is a DTS title and is not a "bottleg"
Old 09-26-01, 12:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

chaviec, I think you could have found a better way of putting across your point of view.

As things stand your post must be construed as a personal attack.

Personal attacks are unwelcome here.

FYI, the way things usually work is as follows:
  • warning
  • suspension
  • banning
The middle stage is optional; some people will even be [BANNED] without warning if a pattern of behaviour is obvious.

Let's keep things civil....

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum
Old 09-26-01, 03:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

What a crock. Both ACCIDENTAL SPY and WHO AM I? are available in perfectly legal DTS editions. The Japanese DTS "WHO AM I?" is an outstanding release. 16x9 picture rocks.

I have the DD5.1 version, which has a slightly higher bit rate for the picture. Sound is every bit as good as the DTS, only much cheaper. Highly recommended.
Old 09-26-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forgive a really stupid question please....

I know that these Jackie Chan discs are all dubbed in Mandarin, but how is the dubbing. I don't speak the language so I don't really care if the translation is bad. Does Jackie do his own vocals? Do the other voices sound right? I have some VCDs where one audio track sounds normal" but the other sounds like it was dubbed helium-addicted children - and all of the emotional nuances were wildly overacted.

What I'm asking is, if one didn't understand the language, would the dubbing sound natural? Or cartoonish? I especially worry because of the movies comedic natures. I'd probably buy the lot of them if I could hear one of them first.
Old 09-26-01, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by HKFlix
That's really bizarre, I haven't come across any others like that in our warehouse. Please let us know if it's the right disc!
I just checked and it is in fact the correct disk. Just wrong art.
Old 09-26-01, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Peep
Forgive a really stupid question please....

I know that these Jackie Chan discs are all dubbed in Mandarin, but how is the dubbing. I don't speak the language so I don't really care if the translation is bad. Does Jackie do his own vocals? Do the other voices sound right? I have some VCDs where one audio track sounds normal" but the other sounds like it was dubbed helium-addicted children - and all of the emotional nuances were wildly overacted.

What I'm asking is, if one didn't understand the language, would the dubbing sound natural? Or cartoonish? I especially worry because of the movies comedic natures. I'd probably buy the lot of them if I could hear one of them first.
I just checked the Police Story 4: First Strike disk and it doesn't sound bad at all. I prefer the Cantonese tracks on my other Jackie Chan DVDs but this one sounds okay.
Old 09-27-01, 06:31 PM

I have watched one disc (Thundebolt I think it was called) so far and can say that it was basically your standard HK dvd. Video quality was better than average, sound was average to a bit better than average, subs were burned in, letterboxed but 4:3.

They must not have a Cantonese word for anamorphic yet.... I wish they would make one up soon!
Old 10-01-01, 10:37 PM

Well I broke down and picked up First Strike and Rumble in the Bronx. First off the cases suck... First strike popped off the spindle and the english side looks scratched to hell (although I popped it in and played a couple of random scenes and it seemed ok ). On the Rumble in the Bronx one side of the plastic came undone from the case so it can't hold the cover anymore I watched the HK version of Rumble in the Bronx. It looked about the same as the New Line version, although it did seem a bit softer/fuzzier in some places. It is obviously dubbed and some of the dialog was changed to account for that. It was interesting to see the whole "protection money" subplot that was dropped in the US version, but that was about the only major change I noticed. I haven't checked out the english side to see how it compares to the New Line snapper, but when I was testing First Strike it came up as a New Line production so I doubt there will be much. To bottom line it unless you are a die hard JC fan and just want the "uncut" versions (no matter what they did to the audio ) or if you were about to buy the US version anyway (if the deal is still on I believe it would cost about the same) I would skip it. Not because they were particularly bad, they just weren't particularly great

BTW does anyone know which score is the correct one (if either)? If it is the one on the chinese side I'm glad they pumped it up for the US release. The subdued synth noise completely took the life out of the scene where Jackie confronts the gang in their hang out

Last edited by nemein; 10-01-01 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-10-01, 08:26 PM

maybe you were right furious

Hello matt .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.