Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or has Best Buy recently jacked up their prices.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was suprised to find that Circuit Citys in Kansas City metro area are selling American Werewolf in London, Blood Simple, Total Recall, and unrated Basic Instinct for $17.99 which is $2.00 cheaper than Best Buy's $19.99. Cape Fear (1991 SE), is $16.99, which is $3.00 cheaper than Best Buy.

Also, after this weeks "bargain" price of $19.99, Best Buys in KC are planning on selling these same discs for $22.99, which is only a savings of $2.00 off their $24.99 list price. Halloween and Play Misty for Me aren't even on sale this week. Their MSRP is $24.99 and BB is discounting them a whopping $2.00 for a retail price of $22.99.

How are Best Buys in your neck of the woods pricing these DVDs?

Looks like it's back to online shopping for me.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 09-18-01, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually if you visit the stores' they generally price match their competitor. It's just that the ad is printed weeks in advance. I think all the prices you mentioned are in line with CC's.
Old 09-18-01, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
I've noticed a "price creep" on Best Buy DVDs for quite some time. Last year, I happened to see a copy of "Sirens" priced at $27.99 (which has a MSRP of about $29.95). I've also noticed that the "Star Trek" series DVDs are $17.99 (with a $19.95 MSRP). I've also seen copies of "Blair Witch Project" at $29.95 (which is MSRP) -- some copies were marked at $29.95 and a few were $24.95.
Old 09-18-01, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Actually if you visit the stores' they generally price match their competitor. It's just that the ad is printed weeks in advance. I think all the prices you mentioned are in line with CC's.
Nope their prices were $2 to 3 more in their ads and at their store than Circuit City. Moreover, I don't want have to point out every DVD at CC that is cheaper to a BB employee, and go look this one is cheaper over there too, oh and this one, oh and this one too. Since CC was only two blocks away I got in my car and drove over there and bought what I wanted.

But, Actually, what I'm complaining about is the fact that BB use to sell their DVDs from 20 to 25% off MSRP, but with Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Blood Simple, Play Misty for Me, Halloween, and American Werewolf in London all already priced at $22.99, --look at the stickers on these DVDs--, after this week's sale, when their MSRP is only $24.99, you're saving a whopping, whooping 9.19%, or something crummy like that. Happy shopping!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 09-18-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if you go back a couple years back best Buy didnt sell anything under 20 bucks DVD wise(hardly anything) I use to laugh at the morons who would go in there and walk around with 6 DVD's in thier hand..I was orderin them all online for 10-12 bucks tops..thats all changed now..online prices rearely fall below 15 or 16 and Best Buy is right around the same on some items but they still have a lot priced at thier standard 20 and up range
Old 09-19-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Best Buy has always sold things at list prices except for their advertised loss leaders.

I never understood why this store is thought of as being so great.
Old 09-19-01, 12:21 PM

When people think of Best Buy, I think that the typical thought is of the loss leaders. The only reason that Best Buy is so popular is because they used to be a major loss leader. People don't think about the stuff they've bought there that actually costs over MSRP (I've seen several new items that do, not price reduction items), they think about the 11.99 CDs for new releases. People just shop there out of habbit now.