Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Please Help - CDNow hassle for multiple DVD orders!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-01, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On July 22, 2001, I placed the following order on CDNow:

Ordinary People
Goonies
Carrie
Elvira
Waiting for Guffman
Polyester/Desperate Living

CDNow has the following policy for shipping DVD orders with multiple titles: the first will ship as soon as it is available and the remainder will ship as a group when all are in stock.

Therefore, I was shipped Ordinary People promptly when it was the released.

The rest of the order has still not shipped, and I am skeptical of the reasons given to me by the customer service reps.

When all of the titles were initially released, they were "processing." However, Polyester/Desperate Living was then postponed until September 4. When that title was released, it began to "process" and then Goonies went on "backorder." I was told by a customer rep that they "only" received 2,000 copies of Goonies, and that many orders must have been placed before mine.

I asked if my titles are being held in a box for me while the others were on "backorder" and they said that as each title is made available, it is put aside for me until all titles are found.

I don't buy it. It is hard to believe that 2,000 copies of Goonies were placed before my order. I think since Polyester/Desperate Living was postponed all other orders took priority. This is further evident in the following:

a) Goonies was initially "processing," then went to "backorder," then back to "processing" and is now again in "backorder" status.

b) Elvira was "processing" upon release, went to "backorder" and is now "processing."

c) Waiting for Guffman was "processing" for several weeks and is now on "backorder."

It seems that the DVD titles for orders with multiple titles are physically removed from the shelves when all titles are simultaneously shown in stock. In the mean time the customer is subject to a constant cycle of one of their titles being out of stock, which holds up the entire order.

This upsets me for obvious reasons. First, the reps are not being honest in their shipping procedures, and second, that pre-orders are not being completed in the order they were initially placed. The entire concept of pre-orders for the retailer is to judge demand and order the appropriate amount of copies. CDNow has obviously failed in this regard.

My question for all of you is:

1) Did anyone receive any of the following titles yet from CDNow: Goonies, Elvira, and Waiting for Guffman?

2) If so, when was your order placed and when was it shipped?

Regards,
Matt C.
Old 09-16-01, 08:16 PM

I got Guffman from CDNow after ordering 3 weeks in advance.

I think CDNow only does 2 shipments per order for US customers.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-17-01, 06:01 AM

I purchased 5 dvd's from them on the 26th of August.. So far, I've only received three. One of the two I haven't gotten yet turned out to be a back-order and its a pretty common title, and the other, Blow, came out this past week. I have no idea when I'll get them.. The first three dvds shipped when one of them came out (it was a new release).. I just wished I could somehow change my order and pay more for shipping just to get the Blow dvd within the next week, but cdnow won't let you do that, even though I made sure I added an extra $1.50 so everything will ship immediately. My shipping total was like $14.00 or something. Bah. Confusion, confusion!

Just thought I'd add my story.