Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

mini[Review] Attack the Gas Station

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-01, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

This is a Korean flick - I'm sure I'm one of the last people on this board who has seen it... in case I'm not, here's a mini review for anyone interested.

I liked it. It's kinda like SubUrbia(96) meets Suburbia(84) meets Breakfast Club. Four kids decide to knock over a gas station late one night. They vandalize it and smash everything and steal the cash. A few nights later, they decide to do it again... but this time the manager has the money hidden, so they decide to hold everyone hostage and work there and cause trouble and whatnot. Deep down they are good kids.

I don't want to give away everything that happens, but it's cleverly written and quite humorous. It's just an all-around decent flick. The Mei Ah dvd is decent enough. No complaints - especially for the price. The acting is mostly good.

I give it a 7/10 which is basically a I suggest you get it added to your next DDDHouse or HKFlix order.

Told you it was a "mini" review - basically wanted to start a thread about it cuz it deserves one (I searched for one, but didn't find any - hope there isn't already one around)... perhaps someone else who's seen it will elaborate on the plot or give a better review.
Old 09-16-01, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mei Ah

I'd still go for the Korean disc by Spectrum. Extras plus it is in the OAR. Looks miles better as well. Great film though, and the followup (not a direct sequel, just from same production team) Kick the Moon is supposed to very good as well.
Old 09-16-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still plan on ordering this in one of my future DDDHouse orders. I've been interested ever since I read this review http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/com...attackgas.html
Old 09-17-01, 12:43 AM

I'd recommend spending a couple bucks more for the Korean version. The HK version is full screen and has nothing in the way of special features. It is a great film though, really a weird one, very fun...
Old 09-17-01, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If it was only a couple of bucks I can see justifying it, but I am happy with the Mei Ah disc - they seem to be improving. I'm sure the Korean version is much better though.
Old 09-17-01, 12:43 PM

I'll second, or third the recommendation for Spectrum

The quality of the Spectrum discs are very good. So far, I have seven of their
titles, four of which I've viewed and they are impressive. I especially like the OSTs
on the discs.
Old 09-17-01, 09:28 PM

Unexpected hit in Korea

From what I recall reading about the movie, it was a low-budget movie, but when it came out, it turned out to be much more popular than expected.

The movie has many hilarious scenes coupled with social commentary about Korean culture, IMHO (in the main character's flashback (Spectrum), it's "bribe," not "bride."). When Koreans watch the movie and laugh, they're not only laughing at the funny scenes, but also at themselves.

I gotta say, though, it's a movie where every line has some sort of slang-it's like watching a black movie subtitled with textbook english. But they do a decent job trying to use American slang.

I would recommend the movie. Personally, I like the movie more than Shiri or even Bichunmoo (even though it's like comparing apples and oranges in some ways), although for many, its Korean comedy/satire may be more difficult to understand than an action/martial arts movie.

Oh yeah, I also like the movie because I dated the girl who got locked up in the trunk and my folks live just a few blocks from the gas station where they filmed the movie, in Bundang.
Old 09-25-01, 12:40 PM

Where would you recommend buying the Spectrum DVD?
Old 09-25-01, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Yuri
Where would you recommend buying the Spectrum DVD?
dvdasian is a good source for korean studio releases. prices not bad, and I have no complaints after at least 10 orders from them.

attack the gas station has some weird A.R issues on certain people's systems, check out korean film discussion board for more info.

it's as if the picture gets stretched horizontally, and then of course the left and right edge get cut off.

on my friend's sony 7000 player and grundig multisystem tv we did see this bug, but not on my own pioneer dv-91 and panasonic monitor.

and on my computer, the video formatting was perfectly fine under powerdvd.