Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo - They fixed the crappy framerate

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halo - They fixed the crappy framerate

I'm not crazy about any of the next next next gen systems, but I hope this'll shut up the guys who look at buggy gameshow software and use it as "proof" as to why a system sucks.

http://xbox.ign.com/news/38308.html
Old 09-14-01, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought an earlier report said Halo was locked at 60fps? According to IGN, Halo runs only at 30fps and still has occasional slow downs. For all the hype about Xbox being so damn powerful I expected a little better showing from Halo. Hopefully it will improve by launch.
Old 09-14-01, 11:31 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Wow you really didn't read the article.

Quote: "Halo ran at a very solid frame rate... a very solid 30 frames per second."

I would rather have a game that stays at 30 fps than falling down from 60 to 30 at certain times. In other words, you won't notice any slowdown.

And in the weekly Halo update by Bungie at Rampancy.net:

"Work continues on optimizing framerates. We're at the point where we can run through the game watching for drops and then use a variety of tools to pinpoint the problem, be it a bunch of textures loaded off the disc or a cinematics script creating fifty objects at once. Once we know what the problem is, we can fix it. Sounds simple, doesn't it? And yet we must call upon the mad skillz of Chris Butcher to make it happen. "

They are trying to hit 60 most certainly. If they cannot do it by launch, I will be more than happy with a rock solid 30.
Old 09-15-01, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't get why people complain over 30fps when the human can't distinquish any difference when it's over 30.... every mpeg movies are encoded at just under 30fps and no one complains, but the second a game is under 60, people start complaining and saying it's not good enough.
Old 09-15-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, if you put a 30 fps game & 60 fps game side-by-side, you can tell the difference. However, it's the difference between "really smooth" and "really really smooth". It rarely makes a difference to the game. As you said, people just like to complain. I'd take rock-steady 30 fps over erratic 60 fps any day.

Last edited by ipkevin; 09-15-01 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-15-01, 09:37 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Well, I can tell the difference between 60 and 30. 60 is smoother basically. 30 is still very good, but 60 is just icing on the cake. Movies are filmed at 24 fps because they can use motion blur. Games cannot so a higher FPS is needed.

In the end, Halo will still kick ass at a rock solid 30 fps.