DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Age of Camelot

Is anyone going to play that game?
Old 09-12-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes.

Quite a few of my friends and I are looking forward to this game.

It is supposed to be released on 10/16
Old 09-12-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As the NDA was lifted, here are my impressions :

It started off real fun, got a few levels, then started joining parties. Parties were really easy to make with their system that makes it so simple that a baby hammering on the keyboard could form its own party. Fought with party... got up in levels 5...6...7...8...9...10...11...12...13...14....... now I started wondering where this was going. The game is made as a realm versus realm game, but as it stood in the beta, there was just about nothing to do. You can do a specific amount of tasks at each level by asking around npc's who give you tasks. You have to say help to have them talk so that's not a good thing since you see people going all over repeating help help help. As for quests, there are some, but these are very few and not too impressive, mostly go here, do that, kill this, bring this back, get a very crappy reward that odds are you won't be able to use unless it's jewelry or your a fighting class. So after not even a month I have pretty much stopped playing as the game was very very repetitive. A problem was that I played in the newest realm and we didn't have any dungeons so it didn't help the game aspect, but even with those and Realm vs. realm battles, the game needs more. The world map might be large, but the individual realms where you live for the first 15 level of your life seem small and like most games, if you walk too far too low in levels, odds are something will agro and kill you. Like all other MMORPG's, there will be major changes to the game when it comes out, but as it stands, the game is just another EQ. You can only do so much realm vs. realm fighting, where do you go when you get bored of that? Also, the tasks are ALL the same, take an item to some person 95% of the time. And the items all have exactly the same stats (those sold in shops as I don't think you can buy the higher level ones) except that they go up in level depending on the material, so a sword that a level 25 uses might be listed 12.5 damage while a sword that a level 3 uses would also be listed as 12.5 damage so getting new equipment is boring like Anarchy Online as they never diversify.

A few good things for the launch though, the game has very few bugs and it seemed to work very well during the beta. Lag did start increasing when more testers were added but when I started, it was always lag free.

All in all, the game has possibilities, but unless they add more depth and things to do, it'll just end up being a regular level till you get high enough and go fight other players until you get too bored to continue type of game.

So, to answer your question, no I will not be playing that game. When I started I was very excited and it was fun fun fun, but now after doing the same thing for the past 10 levels, I'm just too bored to go back to playing my beta account as since we get no signs of life when we sent bug reports or suggestions and that very few people had access to the forums, the beta ended up being a free month for me. I did send around 20 bug reports, but I heard nothing back so don't even bother looking anymore.
Old 09-13-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for your observations.

After playing Asheron's Call for more than two years I know how you felt.

For me DAoC is a new diversion and experience. I have become extremely bored with AC and its game mechanics.
Old 09-13-01, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have seen beta4 and know people who are playing it. It seems very stable and fun. They are adding content all the time, I expect the release to be very fun...

See you in game