Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Madden 2002: Week 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-01, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Madden 2002: Week 3

After playing Madden on and off for about 3 weeks, being frustrated by its "cheating AI", I finally decided to start my franchise today. I chose my team, the Redskins, and made a few major roster changes:

1)Traded Jeff George to Chargers for Brees and next years #1 pick.

2)Signed Dermonti Dawson, Kevin Gogan, Erik Williams, and one other major O Line Free Agent, releasing the current crap players.

3)Release Brett Conway, and signed Jim Carney.

4)Signed Bryan Cox and another DLine Free Agent, as well as Mark Carrier to bolster the D.

5)Traded some extra DLine to the Ravens for Qadry Ismail. No more double coverage on Westbrook.

6)Traded Deion Sanders to detroit for Bryant Westbrook and a late draft pick.

Well, Week 1 put me against the Chargers...

I gave up 310 yards passing(160 were stupid errors on my part, having my CB jump to early allowing major gains by the WR) and I gave up 130 on the ground(Tomlinson is awesome)....

but I managed to win 28-14. Brees had a great game, with a 58% completion ration and 250 yards. Davis hit 160 on the ground.

I'm starting to play better D(other than those 2 or 3 passing errors), and my D played great inside the RedZone.

Hopefully, a few more games, and I'll be much better.

I'm not gunning for Super Bowl glory,just gunning to 50% season, so I can get high draft picks next time.

Last edited by Thunderball; 09-11-01 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-11-01, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am doing pretty well w/ my fantasy team. Have a youngen group of Vick/Dayne/P. Warrick.

You playing on Pro I assume?
Old 09-11-01, 06:25 AM

Glad to hear you got rid of George! I just wish the real Skins would do the same! :-)
Old 09-11-01, 09:55 PM

Here's a trick, if you're looking to REALLY stock your team with stars.

First of all, trade off your older players for younger ones with the same/better ratings. Younger players will only improve. After about 30, players rarely improve from season to season.

In the offseason, sign EVERY ONE of the big free agents. It doesn't matter if you need them or not, just sign them, for any price.

Just before the draft, trade off your newly signed superstars for top draft picks or other young stars. Let's say you signed a star WR and have a second round draft pick. You can easily upgrade to a high first round pick if you trade the WR and the second round pick. So for simply signing and trading a player you didn't need, you've upgraded your second round pick to a first round pick.

Don't be afraid to TRADE any pick between the second and sixth rounds. These players aren't quite stars, but will demand a large salary (and usually will only sign in two-year spurts). First rounders are pretty secure, and if you get a lot of seventh-rounders, you can usually sign them for the league minimum for seven years. Always good to have guys like these as backups that you don't intend to play (WR, CB, RB, linebackers, etc.)

If you play several years in Franchise mode, you will notice which players tend to improve, those which don't live up to their potential, and which ones just aren't worth their salary.

For example, Drew Brees starts out getting $950 for 5 or 6 years. His rating is average (in the low 70s). It took very little to get him on my roster, and within 5 years, he was in the very-high 80's. I was able to use him in part to trade for Peyton Manning.

With a stud roster, the Madden mode is a piece of cake!

- Mike
Old 09-12-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, week 2 of my franchise was last night, I won again, 45-13 against the Cardinals on a stormy day at FedEx Field.

Brees had a rough game(maybe the rain threw him off), but Davis hit 251 on the ground

Very good so far, I'm still looking to make some minor tweaks..
Old 09-12-01, 09:35 PM

What's the worst AI cheating, penalties or turnovers?

After watching every big play I had called back due to penalty, I ran a little test to see if it was the AI or my offensive line. I reduced the frequency meter on every penalty to the lowest setting, except "face mask" which I left untouched. Three times during the next game, my defense's third down stop was negated by a face mask penalty. This truly sucks.

As for fumbles, I started running out of bounds with punts, so now the AI has me cough it up before I gain possession, whether I fair catch or not. I'm not saying this happens all the time, only when the AI needs the ball back late in the game.

My latest tactic is to choose FG Block defense and let them down the ball with none of my players near the ball.

If this fails I will be forced to make some friends and play against them.
Old 09-13-01, 05:38 AM

My big problem has always been recieving. This is true for the past several years of Madden games I've owned.

Rushing has been a snap for me, even with average backs. I usually have decent QBs, and always trade for great recievers, but it never seems to help.

I typically have a 30% passing game for 350 yards or so. The ONLY real success I seem to have is on long bombs where my reciever can out-run the defense. My interception rate is terrible on these plays!!!

When I try short passes, or even those behind the line of scrimmage to my running backs or full backs, they seem to catch it maybe 1-in-5 times. It's like the ball hits them in the back of the head or something.

Do you guys find it helpful to ALWAYS push the jump button when trying to catch a pass? The few times I try catching without pushing the triangle button I have had ZERO-success.

Also, what's with this "Training mode" that the game keeps touting. Something about being able to earn points for Madden cards while learning the specifics of each play, etc. I've seen the Practice mode, which is nothing new. You sure can't earn points for it, though.

One more thing - Don't the Madden cards rock? I love the extra RPG element they add to the game. If a regular game loses your interest, you can play for specific goals. Plus, some of the cards themselves are pretty sweet. Who doesn't want to bring back 'The Fridge???

- Mike
Old 09-13-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, apparently the AI for franchise mode just found me...

My team is 3-0, going up against the 0-3 Chiefs..

At the end of the first quarter, it was 28-0 Chiefs, with their RB having 171 yards on the ground....

Apparently my D just fell apart after givng up almost no points the last 2 games...

Drew Brees was picked off once, and Stephen Davis coughed it up twice, negating any offense...

At the end of quarter 1 it was Chiefs 215 yards offense, Redskins, -10. Seems like someone hit my reset button...
Old 09-14-01, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
Seems like someone hit my reset button...
ROFL! Last night I was playing my season of Madden, which I'm NOW 6-1 in (was 5-1 going into last night's game). I'm playing as the Vikings, and was up against Green Bay. They were OWNING me. I get a TD to bring the game to within a TD before half-time and I'm to get the ball back to start the 3rd quarter. Kicks off to me, and I fumble and give them a TD. I'm livid..then the power goes out in my Apartment for a split second (I live in Orlando - Tropical Storm Gabrielle hitting us atm). Needless to say I took it as a sign from god and ended up beating GB 24-22 on the "rematch".