Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

R1 discs on Multizone Player

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-01, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Just wondering if anyone can help with a problem of mine. I have a Toshiba S1200 DVD player which came 'converted' to play multi regions. This was good because i sometimes purchase R1 discs (Australia is a little behind in most releases) and they work just fine. Recently, i travelled around USA and purchased the Charlies Angels DVD amongst other titles. This is where my problem starts...the DVD would not work and a message saying that the disc can only be played on Region 1 players came up instead. The other discs i bought on the trip worked fine however. What gives?? Is there some sort of new coding on discs that disallows R1 discs to be played on any other players except R1 players??

Please help as i am now hesitant on ordering any R1 discs in fear that it will happen again and i have wasted money! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Charlie's Angels is an RCE title. Most region (non-RCE) titles will work OK with a standard modification, but RCE ones are trickier and need a "deluxe" mod. You can sometimes get around it though.

Try this: pretend to play a non-RCE R1 title. That will 'default' the player to R1. Now try the RCE title.

You may need to upgrade your modification to get it to play.
Old 09-10-01, 12:07 AM

I have only heard of Columbia Tri-Star using RCE on their discs. So, assuming I am correct, you should only be concerned with CTHV discs. I notice that Amazon.com warns about it for every Columbia disc listing they have.
Old 09-10-01, 01:23 AM

try the following workaround on your Charlies Angels DVD...

appleseed1973,

This definitely sounds like an RCE encoding problem. Toshiba players are notorious for being unable to handle RCE encoded DVDs (I know, I used to have the Toshiba 2108), while handling all other region discs with ease.

The following link is a guide to workarounds for different players and you might find it useful (scroll to near the bottom of the page, or do a Find - Ctrl-F - on: For Toshiba players).

Besides the information on RCE, MichaelDVD is an excellent resource for allthings DVD and particularly R4 DVD. Now, that link:

RCE Information

Hope this helps (please post if it does or doesn't work).

regards, Tim...
Old 09-10-01, 01:27 AM

Gosh, thanks very much for the quick replies. I will put your suggestions to the test right away!!

Thanks again!
Old 09-10-01, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My pioneer dv606 has been region modded by dvdcity.com, and it has never had a problem, even with region 1 RCE discs. I'm sticking with pioneer forever, I'm glad I didn't buy anything, I only trust pioneer a lot because they helped invent the dvd spec.
Old 09-10-01, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
My pioneer dv606 has been region modded by dvdcity.com, and it has never had a problem, even with region 1 RCE discs. I'm sticking with pioneer forever, I'm glad I didn't buy anything, I only trust pioneer a lot because they helped invent the dvd spec.
I may well be wrong but I have a feeling that Pioneer actually supply factory modified machines, saving the need to modify and the worry of losing the factory warranty due to a third party mod.

I bought my Pioneer 535 already modified after being told that if it had a green dot on the packing box, it was the factory modified version - and indeed it was. I have no idea whether this was a deal just for those of us in region 4 (Australasia) or whether it was a world wide deal, but it is probably worth people (particularly in the US where modded machines seem to be more of a rarity) checking this out.

With regards to appleseed1973's problem however, it is definitely an RCE related problem that appears to be pretty well limited to Toshiba machines.

regards, Tim...

Last edited by hardtack; 09-10-01 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-10-01, 08:28 PM

Just want to let you know the workaround you guys suggested WORKED!! Thanks heaps!!!
Old 09-11-01, 09:18 AM

Pioneer factory modified!!!

Yeh mine too.

Bought in Korea.

Modified all region.

Complete with valid warranty.

Any problems I can bring it to the Pioneer after service center....

Just one question.......

Can I play pal discs on this????I want to but HKL releases but too expensive if I can't play them properly..It has the 2 switches on the back marked"pal""ntsc""auto"...

Will they convert the signal properly?????
Old 09-11-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, when I got mine from dvdcity, it had a green dot on the cover. So I guess it was meant for sale outside of the US, and somehow dvdcity got a hold of some. I wonder how much they cost in the countries they were supposed to go to? Cause I have a feeling I got really ripped off, having paid around $600 for mine. Then again, there are the pioneer players that are made without regions, the champagne colored ones, and I don't know if they can handle RCe discs. but I feel better about mine knowing it was modded by pioneer.
Old 09-11-01, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
...I wonder how much they cost in the countries they were supposed to go to? Cause I have a feeling I got really ripped off, having paid around $600 for mine.
Well, my Pioneer 535 multi-region player is the black player (as opposed to champaign) and it cost me $AUD560 which is approx $US290 - and it plays RCE encoded discs. As a sweetener, it came with 6 free DVDs plus a book of free rental coupons for a local rental chain - again, this was a Pioneer promotion.

regards, Tim...
Old 09-12-01, 11:57 AM

My Price

The price I paid for mine in Korea was 350,000Won($1 US=1300won)

so that means it was about$269 US.

It plays RCE too and can translate PAL to NTSC.