Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Open Your Eyes (Abre los ojos) and Amores Perros (Love's a Bitch) ??

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-01, 12:24 AM
pum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to purchase these two R1 discs but wonder is there any other region that's better than R1?
French, German, English is fine by me.
thankss.
Old 09-08-01, 07:33 AM

The Spanish Abre los Ojos is far superior to the US release with a great anamorphic transfer, 5.1 surround, English subtitles and a ton of extras (not to mention one of the coolest menus I've ever seen).

You can get it from www.dvdgo.com
Old 09-09-01, 09:53 AM
pum

well...thanxx..i'll order that one.
is there a spanish disc of Amores Perros too? i can't find it.
Old 09-09-01, 01:52 PM

I took a look and there's a Spanish Amores Perros DVD coming out in Spain on 9/26. It's anamorphic widescreen with Spanish 5.1 and English subtitles. The extra features are Filmographies, Trailers, Video-clip, Spot and Making Of.

It's being released by Filmax so it should be a top quality DVD. It's available here: http://www.dvdgo.com/cgi-bin/DVDGO.f...roducts/819203
Old 09-09-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by carnifern
The Spanish Abre los Ojos is far superior to the US release with a great anamorphic transfer, 5.1 surround, English subtitles and a ton of extras (not to mention one of the coolest menus I've ever seen).

You can get it from www.dvdgo.com
The Artisian disc is anamorphic as well. Plus aren't the extras on the Spanish disc not subtitled.
Old 09-09-01, 02:10 PM

Unfortunately the extras aren't subtitled but at least they exist. The transfer is also much better on the Spanish DVD than the Artisan. A friend of mine has the Artisan and the Spanish DVD definitely looks a lot better.
Old 09-10-01, 08:00 AM
pum

Originally posted by carnifern
Unfortunately the extras aren't subtitled but at least they exist. The transfer is also much better on the Spanish DVD than the Artisan. A friend of mine has the Artisan and the Spanish DVD definitely looks a lot better.
so you A/B compared it yourself ? then i think i'll choose the spanish one. DD 5.1 is always nice.
but thanks slymer for information about extra. i may rent R1 disc just to check that out.
too bad Jamon Jamon is 4:3 letterboxed though.
Old 09-10-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AFAIK, the Spanish edition of Abre los Ojos is non-anamorphic. Apart from the extras mentioned, it has a feature-length audio commentary by Amenábar.

There is also a French edition which is anamorphic, but has a lot less extra content.

There is also word of an upcoming Special Edition of Amenábar first film, Tesis.

R1 Amores Perros will have more extras than R2.

Regards.
Old 09-10-01, 11:48 PM
pum

hi, Grubert
thanks for sharing information. you had me rechecking it again. ;-) but it's good to check thoroughly before making a purchase.
it seems R1 Amores Perros will have indeed more extras than R2. but spanish disc has DTS track so i tempted to buy spanish one.
for the picture of the Spanish edition of Abre los Ojos, the site hasn't stated clearly it's anamorphic or not (just widescreen). so i hope carnifern can come back and confirm for us.
Old 09-11-01, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Heat in this thread, the R1 Open your Eyes is non-anamorphic. So now the question is, which of the R2's are really anamorphic?

Last edited by Aghama; 09-11-01 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-11-01, 01:19 AM

I have both the Spanish R2 DVD (bought from veo-veo.com) and and the R1 DVD. The Spanish R2 IS anamorphic, and the transfer IS superior to the R1 DVD. I'm planning to sell my R1 DVD. It's also a good excuse to practice my spanish, as the audio commentary is in spanish (and it's a great one, especially if you're a fan of this movie and the director)
Old 09-11-01, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stand corrected. I don't have the DVD, but several Spanish DVD buffs had told me Abre los Ojos wasn't anamorphic -- at least, the first pressing.

If you want to see good recent non-Almodovar Spanish films, check out also the following:

Solas, directed by Benito Zambrano.

Los amantes del Círculo Polar, directed by Julio Medem (in fact, anything by Medem is worth a look).

La comunidad, directed by Alex de la Iglesia.

All of them released on DVD with English subtitles for the film. Solas and Los amantes are bare-bones, whereas La comunidad is pretty loaded.
Old 09-11-01, 04:58 AM
pum

Originally posted by snowchasse
The Spanish R2 IS anamorphic, and the transfer IS superior to the R1 DVD. I'm planning to sell my R1 DVD. It's also a good excuse to practice my spanish, as the audio commentary is in spanish (and it's a great one, especially if you're a fan of this movie and the director)
snowchasse,, are you talking about Abre los Ojos(Open Your Eyes)??? that's the disc in question right now.

Grubert,, thanks again for recommendation. i have to say i'm quite interested in Europe movies, including Spanish one.
since you seem to know lots about Spanish movie, how about Mexican one? is there anywhere i can find Like Water For Chocolat in decent anamorphic and DD 5.1 and Eng subtitle?
Old 09-11-01, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pum

is there anywhere i can find Like Water For Chocolat in decent anamorphic and DD 5.1 and Eng subtitle?
Nope, R2 is only Pan&Scan and 4.0.
Old 09-11-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...FYI...

...some Spanish discs from my own DVD 'collection'...

* El arte de morir (Columbia/Tristar) = anamorphic 1.77:1 / Spanish DD 5.1, Spanish DD 2.0 Surround, English DD 2.0 Surround / Spanish, English, French subtitles

* Los sin nombre (Filmax) = Letterbox 1.85:1 / Spanish DD 5.1, Catalan DD 5.1, English DD 5.1 / Spanish, English subtitles

* Los amantes del círculo polar (Sogepac Video) = Letterbox 2.35:1 / Spanish DD 5.1 / English, French subtitles

* Abre los ojos (Sogepac Video) = Letterbox 1.85:1 / Spanish DD 5.1 / English subtitles

Note 1: only one disc features an anamorphic transfer...

Note 2: the subtitles appear only under the movies themselves; extras are not subtitled...

Note 3: transfers and sound on all four discs are good - having them all anamorphic would have been better...

[i]...all of which is utterly, obscenely unimportant, compared to the real-life nightmares that have descended over New York and Washington, D.C. today...

. . . . . .
Old 09-11-01, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
According to Heat in this thread, the R1 Open your Eyes is non-anamorphic. So now the question is, which of the R2's are really anamorphic?
In the first section of the thread where it lists the movies it say's Anamorphic/ Yes. My dvd has 16:9 enhanced for widescreen tv's as well.
Old 09-11-01, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel
In the first section of the thread where it lists the movies it say's Anamorphic/ Yes. My dvd has 16:9 enhanced for widescreen tv's as well.
You're right; I was looking at his 8/14 post, which said it wasn't. Sorry to contribute to the confusion.
Old 09-12-01, 01:43 AM
pum

Originally posted by Hendrik
...FYI...

...some Spanish discs from my own DVD 'collection'...

* Abre los ojos (Sogepac Video) = Letterbox 1.85:1 / Spanish DD 5.1 / English subtitles

so it's Letterbox then. and R1 is anamorphic...mmmm...

anyway it's nightmare indeed but make no mistake, it's just the beginning. more horrors will follow, not sure to which side. God's with you all. hope you stay unite and fearless.