Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ohs mahs gawds - nfl2k2 for ps2

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohs mahs gawds - nfl2k2 for ps2

okay - i've been a diehard madden fan all my life - i've owned every single one since i bought my genesis ... stuck through the good and the bad, and i'm generally happy with 2002.

One of which is something that's being dubbed "getting skinny", which will have the ball carrier turn his shoulders in order to help them fit through the smaller hole. There are also going to be animations where the ball carrier will put his hand out to help push himself around the lineman and lots of new stumbling animation to more realistically reflect what would happen if the same thing happened in a real-life situation.

VC has also addressed one of the bigger problems that its particular series has had -- momentum in tackles. While momentum was factored in before, it wasn't honestly done that well in either 2K or 2K1. But with NFL 2K2 this year, some major strides have been made and the momentum will be much more noticeable than ever before as the size of players, angle of impact and acceleration at the point of impact will make a much more realistic difference.

It will also be tied into a history database that will record every single detail in the game so that it can be commented on later in the game. What this means is that the announcers will actually refer to plays that happened earlier in the game, so you might hear an announcer make a reference to you getting stopped earlier on a certain play that you score a touchdown on later.

In addition to the improvements with the game's commentary, you can also expect some improvements with the general sound in the game. The crowd noises will be much more dynamic, meaning that they'll more quickly change and adapt to what's going on during each play and not just before and after them. Crowds will cheer louder as the home team makes a big hit or play and not just after the play is over.
source: http://ps2.ign.com/previews/16453.html

if nfl2k2 can solidly deliver on it's promises to address these issues, i might consider switching over - esp. if madden doesn't answer back. i'm very surprised at how good these guys are calling this game to be - i guess i'll believe it when i see it ... in the end though, it can only make playing football that much more enjoyable
Old 09-07-01, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sounds good to me
Old 09-07-01, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NFL2K1 owned Madden. It's no contest now that they're both on the same platform.
Old 09-07-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RaptorsFan
NFL2K1 owned Madden. It's no contest now that they're both on the same platform.
Agreed. I was honestly a dedicated Madden fan until I played NFL2k1 that game IS football.
Old 09-07-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can't make an honest opinion here since i never played the 2ks. but, from what i hear, 2kx is more like action oriented vs. madden's stategy push ... is this true? or do you find the level of strategy just as intense on both?
Old 09-07-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by qbert
can't make an honest opinion here since i never played the 2ks. but, from what i hear, 2kx is more like action oriented vs. madden's stategy push ... is this true? or do you find the level of strategy just as intense on both?
Honestly I think nfl2k1 is closer to real football. From the controls, to the plays, to the actual hits...it looks, plays, and feels more like football.

I play as the Ravens...and they actually play like the Ravens. The secondary for them is killer, if a team misthrows a pass, it is an interception for sure.

If you try to play defensive plays that arn't in your teams style you will indeed get schooled.

I go back to the original Madden as far as football goes and honestly NFL2k1 is the best football game I have ever played. Period. I can't wait to see what they do with NFL2k2.