Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Cheap games: Compuexpert

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-01, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap games: Compuexpert

I've seen these guys mentioned before, but I want them to be around for a while, so I'll repeat it here for the newbies. If you want to buy new or recent computer games, use CompuExpert. Sign up for their 48-hour madness e-mail and watch the deals come rolling in.

Unlike most (all that I know of) other online retailers, they buy in bulk and keep stock on hand. I've worked in online retail before, and you'd be stunned how many supposedly separate stores use the same distributor (Ingram Micro Games sucks donkey). These guys have a big warehouse with cheap games, so they always ship quickly.

I hate to sound like an ad, but I keep seeing people ask where to get good prices, and a quick trip to Compuexpert will almost always save you a search. Enjoy.
Old 09-06-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I use these guys on a regular basis. Shipping is always about $5 for 2 day fed ex. Keep in mind that sometimes their new specials are in weird condition. Ie. when Red Alert 2 came out, they were selling just the disks in the jewel case, for about $20. No manual, box or anything. You need to read the small print -- sometimes it's the European version or something similar. Not that it's a big deal, just saying.

Great place to look for games that are maybe 6 months-1 year old -- awesome deals. I'm looking to pick up HOMM3 and Shogun:Total War soon.

heck, MDK2 came out last May, and I bought it last August for $10. Real sleeper hit.

Tuan Jim
Old 09-08-01, 02:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two more thumbs up for Compuexpert. Although their selection isn't the best, the prices for what they have are great. Here are spme of the deals I've gotten so far from them:

- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, ~$13, in original retail packaging (with manuals! Yeah!)
- Starcraft + Brood Wars, ~$20, in DVD-style packaging... drop those game guides and save $10!
- Operation Flashpoint, ~$28 (hooray for 48 Hour Madness!)

I'm hoping for some "Madness" with Civ III, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Freelancer (if it ever comes out), and Return to Wolfenstein... [fingers crossed]

P.S., for Tuan Jim... When your sig is longer than your post, maybe it's time to trim your sig.
Old 09-08-01, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
No way.. It's one long quote. There's no good part to cut. I'm only using it here because none of the other forums where I want to use it allow that many characters ;p

Tuan Jim
Old 09-08-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tuan Jim
No way.. It's one long quote. There's no good part to cut. I'm only using it here because none of the other forums where I want to use it allow that many characters ;p

Tuan Jim
Be careful, though, as a few members like complaining about people with long sigs.
Old 09-08-01, 09:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by cartman

Be careful, though, as a few members like complaining about people with long sigs.
Really? Who?

Tuan Jim, hope you know I was just joking around (hence the )... long live long sigs.
Old 09-09-01, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cartman

I had a long sig that consisted of John Travolta's opening speach from Swordfish. Everyone told me to trim it. Even the G-Man himself. So be careful.
Old 09-09-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuan , trim it or lose it. It's lame, and obnoxious. I don't think anyone really wants to actually *read* that (I passed after the second line, thank you!) and all it does is add unnecessary length and dl times to the threads here, detracting from messages with actual *content*.

Is there an "official" procedure for requesting that inconsiderate members trim their excessive sigs?
Old 09-09-01, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sig? Hmmm... I musta' turned 'em off; think you can do that in VBB. I find them annoying if they're more than one line.