Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted:Hammer House of Horror

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-01, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Just purchased it at Best Buy.Is it like Night Gallery or does it have a style of its own?
Old 09-05-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got this from deepdiscountdvd.

I had never seen it before and, unfortunately, I've was completely disappointed. I watched 5 of the 13 episodes and gave up (I don't think I'll bother with the rest).

Every one I watched was pretty boring and predictable. The plots seemed really streched to fill the running time (showing endless scenes of cars driving around, people hunting in the dark for something, etc.) The acting was pretty decent and the production values were fine, but that still couldn't make up for the watching-paint-dry torture of sitting through these boring stories.

If anyone is considering this, I'd recommend finding a place to rent first. Maybe there are people who would enjoy this... but not me.
Old 09-05-01, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only watched the first episode Witching Time and thought it was okay but since it was the first one it might have been the best. If the others arent to good maybe thats why it only ran for one season. Atleast there was some nudity in the first episode. I guess if they were shown in the US they woiuld have been cut. I dont remember ever hearing about them back then.
Old 09-05-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I guess that I'm the odd-man-out on this one... I absolutely LOVE the Hammer House of Horror series! IMO, the production value is very high, and the stories on par with other anthology series. I found the episodes very enjoyable. (But then again, I tend to like films that slowly build) And with the low price of the set on DDD, I have to seriously consider picking it up.
Old 09-06-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sracer
I guess that I'm the odd-man-out on this one... I absolutely LOVE the Hammer House of Horror series! IMO, the production value is very high, and the stories on par with other anthology series. I found the episodes very enjoyable. (But then again, I tend to like films that slowly build) And with the low price of the set on DDD, I have to seriously consider picking it up.

I agree. I'll buy every hammer DVD that they release. There's just something about them I really like.....