Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Dogma Special Edition

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-01, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to know if it is worth it to buy the special edition or the orginal version?
Old 09-02-01, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if you are a Kevin Smith fan or a fan of the movie Dogma then it is well worth getting the special edition. The commentary on the SE is excellent, as it is with all Kevin Smith's movies. Plus this DVD has tons of deleted scenes with introductions by Kevin Smith. The standard Dogma DVD I think has close to no extras.

If you don't have the movie yet, go with the SE if you like Kevin Smith's movies at all. This is a great disc in my opinion and I waited a long time for it. Go buy it!!
Old 09-02-01, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks I will go and buy it tomorrow. I am a huge fan of Kevin Smith, but I haven't had the money to go and buy it!
Old 09-02-01, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

definately worth a purchase if your a fan.
Old 09-13-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by The Void
Well if you are a Kevin Smith fan or a fan of the movie Dogma then it is well worth getting the special edition. The commentary on the SE is excellent, as it is with all Kevin Smith's movies. Plus this DVD has tons of deleted scenes with introductions by Kevin Smith. The standard Dogma DVD I think has close to no extras.

If you don't have the movie yet, go with the SE if you like Kevin Smith's movies at all. This is a great disc in my opinion and I waited a long time for it. Go buy it!!

How are the deleted scenes?? Are they any good or are they just filler stuff that are not even worth watching?
Old 09-13-01, 11:45 AM

How are the deleted scenes?? Are they any good or are they just filler stuff that are not even worth watching?
From my review:

"The most significant of these are the Deleted Scenes. This area provides 16 different segments, all of which run between 85 seconds and 13 minutes, 45 seconds for a total of 95 minutes, 25 worth of footage. Note that you won’t actually find 95 minutes of unused material. For one, most of the clips represent extended versions of existing scenes. Not all of them elongate bits from the film - one with Bethany at Planned Parenthood is totally new - but for the most part, these are snippets that have shorter cousins in the movie.

In addition, a lot of the 95 minutes shows introductions from Smith and Pereira; others occasionally visit them, but it’s their show. They give us background for the clips and tell us why they didn’t make the cut. Of course, the presentation is fun as always, and these bits help flesh out the details.

As for the unused footage itself, I enjoyed the clips. I didn’t think that any of them were tremendously valuable, and I can’t say that I felt the film lost anything without them; even the famous “Fat Albert” bit didn’t really belong in the movie. In any case, I was very happy to see this wealth of material, as it’s always interesting to have a look at the material that didn’t make the cut."