DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Joan of Arc on DVD

Old 08-31-01, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joan of Arc on DVD

Joan Of Arc on DVD.

I'm really interested in the story of Joan Of Arc and wondered what the 1999 films were like. I never saw the Besson version because it got a critical slamming when released, and I haven't seen the award winning TV version starring Leelee Sobieski either. Which (if any) is worth getting? What are the films like? What are the DVD's like?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked the Passion of Joan of Arc - that was my first silent film and going into it, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it - but it is a great film (I'm 22, for reference). Its a Criterion, so yeah, its a bit pricey, but I thought it was worth it. I don't watch it all the time tho.

I have the other Joan of Arc you're talking about (the TV one), but I haven't found the spare 3 hrs to watch it yet. My parents both loved it, so when I found it for a decent price, I couldn't resist.
Old 09-02-01, 01:28 PM

Joan on Film

The 1999 version of Joan of Arc was a truly terrible film. I saw it in the theater, and can't imagine that it improved at all in the transfer to DVD. My partner is a bit of a Joan nut, and dragged me to it. Avoid it at all costs!

I've also seen the 1920s silent film "The Passion of Joan of Arc". This is the DVD to get. The print is amazing; one of Criterion's best efforts. The commentary is wonderful, as is the musical accompaniment. But it's the film itself which amazes; I had never heard of Dreyer and was a confirmed admirer by the end of the first viewing (we rented the DVD and saw it through 3 times).

Last edited by kensch; 09-05-01 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-02-01, 02:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Another vote for Passion of Joan of Arc. I'd never seen it before Criterion put out the DVD, and I was blown away. One of the greatest films ever made (if not the greatest).
Old 09-04-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's what I wrote about a little-known release when it came out on DVD in June:

Jacques Rivette's two-part 1993 film Joan the Maid: The Battles, the Prisons (Facets, $39.95; 1-773-281-9075, or http://www.facets.org) is quite simply the best adaptation of the oft-filmed French legend since 1928's seminal "The Passion of Joan of Arc." Epic in length--it consumes four hours on two discs--it focuses on characters instead of action, historical accuracy instead of spectacle. Be sure to read the informative production and historical notes before viewing. In French, with forced English subtitles.

Randy

Last edited by rasalas; 01-20-04 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Resurrecting long dead thread, while researching Dryer, to go off topic

One of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco is Jean D'arc, a french restaruant decorated with paintings, murals and statues of Joan of Arc. Great food too. Check it out.
Old 01-20-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Jean D'arc" ? ...named after the lady's older brother, perhaps...?...

. . . . . .
Old 01-20-04, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Hendrik

. . . . . .
All right Mr. Smarty Pants...

Jeanne d'Arc
Old 01-20-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rasalas
Here's what I wrote about a little-known release when it came out on DVD in June:

Jacques Rivette's two-part 1993 film Joan the Maid: The Battles, the Prisons (Facets, $39.95; 1-773-281-9075, or http://www.facets.org) is quite simply the best adaptation of the oft-filmed French legend since 1928's seminal "The Passion of Joan of Arc." Epic in length--it consumes four hours on two discs--it focuses on characters instead of action, historical accuracy instead of spectacle. Be sure to read the informative production and historical notes before viewing. In French, with forced English subtitles.

Randy
I was not aware of this. BTW, I found it at DDD for $24.00.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...45&promotion=y
Old 01-21-04, 10:07 PM
Banned

Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc. Passion of Joan of Arc.

Now repeat that another 5,000 times and then go out and buy it.
Old 01-22-04, 01:33 AM

OK
Old 01-22-04, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Hendrik

. . . . . .
In Passion of Joan of Arc, Joan is referred to as Jean.
Old 01-22-04, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally posted by chente
OK
Once you've understood the "Passion" of the Passion of Joan of Arc, try out some other "Passions":

Passion of Anna (Bergman)
Passion of Christ (Gibson)
Passion of Hallaj (Massignon) <--- ok, thats a book

and then the soap, Passions (which isn't relevant at all, except in name).
Old 01-22-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jayson1017
In Passion of Joan of Arc, Joan is referred to as Jean.
...excuse me if I very much doubt that statement... she may have been referred to as Jehanne though (which is the 'old' medieval spelling of her name, and is pronounced like "Jeanne")...

. . . . . .
Old 01-22-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jayson1017
Once you've understood the "Passion" of the Passion of Joan of Arc, try out some other "Passions":

Passion of Anna (Bergman)
Passion of Christ (Gibson)
Passion of Hallaj (Massignon) <--- ok, thats a book

and then the soap, Passions (which isn't relevant at all, except in name).
... you left out The Passion Of Darkly Noon, The Passion Of Ayn Rand, and The Lonely Passion Of Judith Hearne...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 01-22-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 03:07 PM

and Passion Fish
Old 01-22-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And the greatest one of all "The Passion According to Andrei" (aka the "long version" of Andrei Rublev).

(OK, ok, I suppose La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc rightfully can lay claim to "greatest".)

And when you're looking for Joan of Arc movies generally, definitely avoid any film made by this hack Besson, but don't miss the other one made by the genius Bresson. That one little letter means a world of difference.
Old 01-22-04, 07:16 PM

one of those DDD coupons would come in handy right now, I'm having a hard time swallowing that $28+ price for Joan of Arc. I'm seriously, considering getting the Dreyer Box Set at twice the price, which nets me 3 movies and a documentary although I understand that The Passion of Joan of Arc is much more highly regarded than the other films.
Old 01-23-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think both "Day of Wrath" and "Ordet" are as brilliant as "Jeanne d'Arc", and "Gertrud" probably is too (just not a personal favorite). But I think most folks have a deeper emotional reaction upon viewing "Jeanne d'Arc". If that film captures you, it'll reduce you to a quivering lump. Even devout atheists such as myself.

"Day of Wrath" is not unlike "Jeanne d'Arc", and it's a more philosophically complex film. It maintains its ambiguity upon the main point through to the end, sufficiently such that even if you don't except the supernatural, you can still impute bad motives to one who does. Fascinating psychological, supernatural, spiritual film that also embraces issues of justice, mysogyny and religious fanaticism. A truly great film.

And "Ordet"... what can one say? A fantastic performance by the lead character, a riveting drama, and (to me, at least) one of the most shocking and moving climaxes I've seen. It's a keeper.

I'll let someone else who's more personally moved by the film to speak to "Gertrud". I need to watch that one again, as I didn't really warm to it on my first two viewings. But there are Dreyer fans who insist this is his greatest work.

You might also want to check out "Vampyr", but I suggest a rental as the Image disc is made from poor source materials (horrible audio, terrible sub format, video that ranges from acceptable to pretty bad). You get the worst of it right off the bat, so stick with it... a fantastic movie, and my favorite of the early vampire flicks (yes, better than "Nosferatu").

One more thing about the "Jeanne d'Arc" DVD... the "Visions of Light" alternate soundtrack by Richard Einhorn (uh, alternate to silence!) is one of the greatest "extra features" ever included on any DVD, in my opinion. It's a brilliant musical work capable of standing alone, but I think it's also a wonderful accompaniment to the film. Really very nice sounding, as well, though only DD-5.1; no DTS surround or LPCM stereo track, unfortunately.

Last edited by Richard Malloy; 01-23-04 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 10:33 AM

Richard,

Thank you for taking to the time to give me a mini-review. I think I'll pick up the box set first.
Old 01-24-04, 09:41 AM

If you really care about Joan Of Arc and film, you really must see (and perhaps own, as I do) The Passion of Joan of Arc. Everything you have heard about this film is true. Often on the top ten lists of the greatest silent films of all time, Carl Dreyer's direction, Falconetti's knock-out performance, the Criterion transfer and the "Voices of Light" soundtrack are really amazing.
Old 01-25-04, 07:50 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Robert Bresson's "The Trial of Joan of Arc"?
Old 01-25-04, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Richard Malloy

And when you're looking for Joan of Arc movies generally, definitely avoid any film made by this hack Besson, but don't miss the other one made by the genius Bresson. That one little letter means a world of difference.
Grimfarrow, see above.

Anyway, I've decided to take the plunge and buy both the Dreyer Box Set and The Passion of Joan of Arc. Can't wait to get them.
Old 01-26-04, 11:09 AM

Excellent choice! You won't regret it
Old 01-26-04, 03:52 PM
Banned

Yes, its an excellent choice... And once you're through with those Dreyers, be sure to pick up 'Vampyr', which is IMHO one of the greatest horror movies ever.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.