Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

PayPal Experiences

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

PayPal Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-01, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PayPal Experiences

I am new to trading and I keep hearing about PayPal. Can anyone share there experience using it and is there any points/specials/incentives that there may be out there?
Old 08-31-01, 01:19 AM
Cool New Member

Paypal is extremely good. Make sure you keep records of anything you ship because their protection plans don't protect you unless you have hard proof of shipping something. I didn't keep such proof at some point and got wrecked because of it. Make sure to read their buyer and seller protection plans.

Laters,

Mario.
Old 08-31-01, 03:38 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really more appropriate for the Store forum as it's about a service for purchasing items.

I've used Paypal some, both to pay for auctions and receive payment for them. I've never had any problems with them, but I've heard enough nightmare stories to make me nervous.
Old 08-31-01, 03:41 AM

Would you like me to put the thread over there?
Old 08-31-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used Paypal to buy and sell DVDs with zero problems.
Old 09-01-01, 03:12 AM

Pay Pal is an extremely useful tool in my online auction purchases. No annoying trips to the post office to buy money orders or to mail out payment. I've probably used it to pay for over 50 purchases on E-Bay so i'm pretty well sold on it. I usually won't bid on anything unless the seller uses Pay Pal.
Old 09-01-01, 11:11 AM
Cool New Member

PayPal

Our site is currently set up to accept credit cards only. Normally when a credit card is processed, it goes to a "Pre-Authorization" process, assuring the card is valid and that there are sufficient funds in the account to cover the charges when the order ships. The pre-auth lasts 30 days, so is done automatically again to keep it current (this is called a 'Re-Authorization'). This is standard etail stuff, but can be repeated a couple of times if we are dealing with a pre-Order title.

However, we've found that when a customer uses PayPal, apparently the customer's statement with PayPal makes the Pre-Authorization and numerous re-authorizations look like they are actual payments to the company, which is causing concern - and very upset customers. Funds don't flow to the company until the product ships, but it seems to look like it does.

I was wondering if anyone has found this as well.
Old 09-02-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: PayPal

Originally posted by mdmckelvie
However, we've found that when a customer uses PayPal, apparently the customer's statement with PayPal makes the Pre-Authorization and numerous re-authorizations look like they are actual payments to the company, which is causing concern - and very upset customers. Funds don't flow to the company until the product ships, but it seems to look like it does.

I was wondering if anyone has found this as well.

I personally do not like using PayPal for pre-orders. Like you mentioned, They remove the available funds from your PayPal account during the pre-authorization process.
If you have a lot of transactions, it makes it hard to tell when those funds get replaced in your account if your pre-order does not ship. When another pre-authorization goes through, PayPal again deducts the funds from your account making it look like the E-tailer double dipped.

I prefer using my regular credit cards for pre-orders so that only my available credit is effected until the pre-order actually ships.

Old 09-02-01, 10:09 AM

Lots of old hororr stories with PAYPAL but I have to tell you I'm very happy with them. One time I got ripped off but didn't tell them until like 4 months later and they denied my claim for $19.00 but to my surprise several months later they paid my claim. I would recommend them.