Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Shaolin Challenges Ninja Problem???

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem with Ground Zero Shaolin CHallenges Ninja disc. Okay, I asked this question in the Old School Thread awhile back, but it got buried, so I’ll try again...

***During the learning “Drunken God Boxing” scene, my copy had a very shaky picture with ‘trails’ coming off the characters for about five mins (between the 59 min and 1hr and 4min mark). ***

Anyone else have this problem or is it just me and my player???
Old 09-04-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

^BumP^
Old 09-08-01, 02:41 PM

iaido,

It's not your player. I bought a copy a few weeks ago, and it has the same problem. About an hour into the movie, there's jitter for about 5-6 minutes, from the middle of the drunken kung fu scene into the beginning of the fight against the karate master.

I'm guessing this is from the print used for the video transfer. The sound is all right, so it probably wasn't taken from the optical sound track of that print but from some other source. In a later scene, there seems to be a few frames missing, probably from a splice to fix a break in the print.

Someone commented in another thread about film preservation. Even if someone considered it financially feasible to strike new prints of the classic Shaw Brothers films (and it's probably not), I doubt that the necessary elements still exist to do this. What we're getting seems to be video transfers of old release prints, some in better condition than others.

By the way, those of you who haven't seen Shaolin Challenges Ninja, don't pass it up. A young Gordon Liu (with hair) displays his mastery against a series of Japanese martial artists. Lau Kar Leung's staging of the fight scenes is imaginative as usual. No gore, just jaw-dropping kung fu.

KFMan
Old 09-08-01, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by KFMan
iaido,

It's not your player. I bought a copy a few weeks ago, and it has the same problem. About an hour into the movie, there's jitter for about 5-6 minutes, from the middle of the drunken kung fu scene into the beginning of the fight against the karate master.

I'm guessing this is from the print used for the video transfer. The sound is all right, so it probably wasn't taken from the optical sound track of that print but from some other source. In a later scene, there seems to be a few frames missing, probably from a splice to fix a break in the print.

Someone commented in another thread about film preservation. Even if someone considered it financially feasible to strike new prints of the classic Shaw Brothers films (and it's probably not), I doubt that the necessary elements still exist to do this. What we're getting seems to be video transfers of old release prints, some in better condition than others.

By the way, those of you who haven't seen Shaolin Challenges Ninja, don't pass it up. A young Gordon Liu (with hair) displays his mastery against a series of Japanese martial artists. Lau Kar Leung's staging of the fight scenes is imaginative as usual. No gore, just jaw-dropping kung fu.

KFMan

What you are getting is vhs transfers to dvd. The looped in audio you'll notice on many of these comes from using European tapes for the video source, with resycnhed English dub tracks from other tapes. Shaw is currently remastering their titles, but as you note some are damaged beyond repair.
Old 09-08-01, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by KFMan
iaido,
Someone commented in another thread about film preservation.
Thanks, Glad its not my player. I can live with it being flawed, since it is such a classic.

Oh, and that person who commented about film preservation was probably me in the Old School thread. Yeah, I'm well aware, but they are beginning to make better strides in resurrecting and preserving their older films, Sadly though, so many are damaged beyond repair or even lost.
Old 09-08-01, 03:23 PM

Furious,

Thanks for the info. If we're getting VHS to digital master to DVD, then even release print to digital master to DVD would be a step up. Does anyone know what sources are being used for the remasters? Somehow, I doubt that the original mixes and negatives are still around. Still, how about a Criterion Collection series of Shaw Brothers films?

KFMan