Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anyone do unabridged books on tape?

kvrdave
08-29-01, 07:06 PM
I discovered these when I was doing a lot of travel. The library has a good number, but now you can get them pretty darn cheap on ebay, too. Anyway, I love them. But they must be unabridged for me. I can't stand the thought of missing something. You?

Kenwood
08-30-01, 12:06 AM
Try renting them from www.booksontape.com Really helps get through Rush Hour Commute.

kvrdave
08-30-01, 10:27 AM
Not bad, but I think Ebay might still be better. I picked up the 20 CD set of Dreamcatcher by Stephen King for $22 delievered. I can probably unload it when I am done for close to that. And I never know when I'll get to it.

Funny thing is, I have basically no commute, but I do find reasons to drive places when I am listening to a good book. I would think that for those with 1 hour + commutes it would darn near be essential.

Scarecrow
08-30-01, 11:06 PM
I love these when I'm driving back and forth to work. Beats the radio most of the time.

I'm just getting ready to order LOTR on CD. 46 discs! That should take a while to get through.

BoatDrinks
08-31-01, 06:16 PM
I must have unabridged! Abridged is suck.

I have a commute to work that lasts anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour. I listen to books all the time.

Dave,
A great place for buying and renting is www.booksontape.com.
They have a good selection of unabridged. I rent about 3 or 4 for every one I buy.

edit: :o I guess I should've looked at Kenwood's post before replying!

kvrdave
08-31-01, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by BoatDrinks
I must have unabridged! Abridged is suck.

I have listened to just one abridged book. Star Trek I.Q. In the middle of the reading (by John DeLancie), he basically says, and a great adventure happened, but you'll have to read the book to find out all about it. :mad: It just sucked.

Very few Star Trek books that are unabridged :(

UWSarge
09-01-01, 12:40 AM
I enjoy listening to the Tom Clancy books on tape. I actually have them on mp3, so I can listen to them while working on the pc.

They have to be unadbridged for me too. No way can you take a 400 page book and condense it down to 2 cassettes.

CharlesC
09-06-01, 10:31 AM
Me and my wife are both driving (seperate cars) to California from Nebraska starting on the 11th. We got two books on cd -- one was a non-fiction WWII story about a outnumbered platoon and one was a suspense novel but I can't remember the names now.
They were very expensive (from Barnes and Noble)! Kind of sucks but I hope it will make the 1500 mile drive more tolerable.

Maybe someone can set up a thread where we trade audio books with each other?

Boot
09-06-01, 10:39 AM
I haven't listened to books on tape in a while, but I used to listen to them quite often. Yes, only unabridged will do for me. I don't see the point of listening to an abridged book. I either absorb the whole book or none of it.

My favorite by far is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, read by the author. He does a wonderful reading with altering character voices. I've both read the book and listened to it and found the listening experience even more enjoyable than the reading.

kvrdave
09-06-01, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy

They were very expensive (from Barnes and Noble)! Kind of sucks but I hope it will make the 1500 mile drive more tolerable.

Maybe someone can set up a thread where we trade audio books with each other?

You ought to check with your library.

Boot
09-06-01, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by kvrdave

You ought to check with your library.

Yep. Also check into interlibrary loan. Many public libraries trade with other libraries across the country, so if your library doesn't have something, they can typically get it for you in a few days. And it's free!

If your public library doesn't ILL, almost any college library will.

CharlesC
09-07-01, 09:17 AM
Hmmm, didn't know about the library exchange thing. Oh well too late now. Maybe I will take Dave's advice and e-bay them when I'm done.

kvrdave
09-07-01, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy
Hmmm, didn't know about the library exchange thing. Oh well too late now. Maybe I will take Dave's advice and e-bay them when I'm done.

A very good way to go. I just picked up the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, unabridged on 54 CDs -eek- for about $205. It sounds like a lot of money (and it is) but they are out of print, and have been going for upwards of $300. I got myself a lot of listening to do. If you really have a long trip, Stephen King's The Stand is about 26 hours long. I really prefer King when he reads it himself, like the OOP Dark Tower ones, but you can still get them from the library.