Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

500,000 preorders at Gamestop for XBox. Be at Eb on Sept 1st for one on Nov 8th.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

500,000 preorders at Gamestop for XBox. Be at Eb on Sept 1st for one on Nov 8th.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-01, 11:59 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's right. Gamestop has estimated taking 500,000 preorders for the XBox system. Now that includes Gamestop.com, Gamestop, Funcoland, Software ect. and Babbages.

EB is may be your last chance for a guaranteed launch day XBox.

Some stipulations though:

This Saturday (September 1st), EB will begin to take pre orders for the xbox. You must go in, and put 100$ down (Credit card, debit card, check, money, and most importantly... store credit will be accepted). Then you can pay the rest of the 500$ (400$) as you please until launch!

You get a bundle, so heres what you a recieve.

(A) The Xbox and One Controller.

(B) Choose ONE of the following Games:
*Fuzion Frenzy
*Project Gotham Racing
*Halo
*NFL Fever 2002
*Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

(C) Choose TWO of the following Games:
*Airforce Delta Storm
*Dead Or Alive 3
*Fuzion Frenzy
*Project Gotham Racing
*Halo
*Mad Dash Racing
*Madden 2002
*NASCAR Heat
*NFL Fever 2002
*NHL Hit
*Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
*Test Drive Off Road
*Tony Hawk 2x

(D) Choose ONE of the following Accessories:
*Xbox Controller by Mircosoft
*Xbox DVD Remote by Microsoft
*Xbox Memory Card by Microsoft

500 bucks is alot to shell out for the XBox, but it will pay off. Why?

1. The DVD player is progressive scan with the $30 dvd pack upgrade. That is just basically a remote and senser.

2. Ethernet built in for everyone with a fast as hell connection.

3. HD compatible. That's right. Play your games in the HD format. Kick ass!

4. Most kick ass PC games will be automatically ported over to the Xbox due to the Microsoft Windows 2000 Kernal. Some examples being worked on include Max Payne and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon.

Check out the latset info at:
www.teamxbox.com (Great Forum)
xbox.ign.com (Always Informative)
www.videogames.com (Pretty Good)

Me, I will probably pick out Project Gotham (sequal to Metropolis Street Racer), Halo or Oddworld, and either Madden or NFL Fever <-cool player building mode and designed by Microsoft. And the 2nd controller is the best bet money wise (normally 40 bucks).

If you were going to buy the system $300, 3 games $150, and a controller $40 it would cost you $490 at Best Buy. I'm factoring in that extra 10 bucks for a guarenteed system.
Old 08-29-01, 12:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

wow this is hard to believe, I can't see more than a 1000 preorders for the xbox hehe
Old 08-29-01, 12:22 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I though 500,000 was a huge number too. But some of these Xbox devotees preordered a year ago!

It may be impossible to get all of those filled. From the info I gathered, Gamestop and EB stores are getting 50 to 200 consoles each on launch day depending on the size of yuor metropolis.

EB hasn't started taking preorders yet. Neither have a bunch of internet dealers or some B&M like Toys R Us.

I just got hyped in one night by reading about all the Xbox will have to offer. That's why I want one on launch day.
Old 08-29-01, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where did you read that 500,000 preorders have been taken by Gamestop?
Old 08-29-01, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where did you hear this figure of 500,000 units?? was this word of mouth at one of the stores? if so I bet they are wrong.

the whole launch may not sell 500,000 let alone one company.
Old 08-29-01, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lies! All lies!
500,000 don't even know the X-box exists!

The bundle looks like an awful deal. Especially if you don't want those games (I only see one I would even consider picking up)!
Old 08-29-01, 05:58 AM

Actually its more than 850,000 pre-ordered units at Gamestop. That's inside information. That's according ME. Oui ME. Yes its 850,000 preordered units, and $ 500/ unit, so you do the math.

But that's not all... The Empire Strikes even more. The emperor Bill Gates, decided to apply a bit of supply & demand by cutting down stocks to 500,000. Oui. By doing this, the emperor predicts that his loyal fanatics and other gamers would likely to rush in, & creating a stampede at every stores at the launching day.

That's what I would call AWESOME. No wonder Microsoft is no. 1. In no time those JAPs Sony, Sega, Nintendo could only pack up & go home. Hail to the emperor Bill
Old 08-29-01, 08:01 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

If you don't like the games, you could always order a couple and return them unopened later for store credit or toward a game you will want. If not at EB, then any other electronic retailer.

I need to go change my pants now after I read the 850,000 remark.

Last edited by Flay; 08-29-01 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-29-01, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by JiGGY
That's what I would call AWESOME. No wonder Microsoft is no. 1. In no time those JAPs Sony, Sega, Nintendo could only pack up & go home. Hail to the emperor Bill
This statement makes you sound like a xenophobe.
Old 08-29-01, 10:39 AM

hmmm... I'm on the gamestop mailing list, and they just sent me another e-mail asking me to pre-order an X-Box.
If they've already got more pre-orders than their system allocation, why would they be fishing for more.
Can anyone provide a link with the 500,000 figure?

I still don't see why anyone with a PC would want an X-Box.
Hardcore PC gamers have better hardware than the X-Box, so why bother spending $300+ and buying an X-Box version of a game just to play on a slower / lower-res system.

Most of the decent third party games will be available on all platforms, and released on the other systems first. (EA Sports games, MGS2, SH2)

I still don't see ANY exclusive titles that justify buying a $300+ system. Where's the killer app??
- Halo will be better on the PC.
- The Sega games aren't exclusives, and will release on other systems later.
- DOA3 looks like another re-make of DOA2.

What does that leave? Oddworld? the Microsoft games?
Not worth my $300+
Old 08-29-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hail to the emperor Bill

Old 08-29-01, 12:14 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

What is Mommy and Daddy going to buy the kids this year? A $2000 gaming rig or a $500 XBox? Face it, kids dominate the gaming industry. Kids are growing up with PS2's and Dreamcast's, not PC's. When they start using the XBox and it's online play, PC gaming will be history for us old farts. That is the only real barrier to kill pc gaming. As far as the screen goes, I would rather be watching a XBox on a Hi-Def screen than watching pc games on a 19" computer monitor.

As much as Mr. Gates wants you to believe the XBox is not a PC, it is a real snake in the grass for Online PC gaming. So it might not be worth your 300 bucks now, but it will in the future. And I will be one of the first to adapt to the reality that sits before us.

Last edited by Flay; 08-29-01 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-29-01, 12:32 PM

Mommy and Daddy will be buying a GameCube.
(which will also have HDTV output)

Microsoft has directed their marketing / development directly at the 'mature' gamer, even bashing Nintendo for being a kid's console.
I still don't see where they have the games to attract the 'mature' gamer, and there's Absolutely Nothing on X-Box for the kiddies. (Mad Dash Racing? ugh!)

Also, I suspect that most of the crowd that has invested in HDTV also have a high-end PC. If you want to play PC games on a HDTV, just connect the GeForce2/3 to the TV's digital or component input. Some HDTVs, like RCA, even have a 15-pin input....

Back to the topic, does anyone have a link saying Gamestop has taken 500,000 X-Box pre-orders?
Old 08-29-01, 01:30 PM

Re: 500,000 preorders at Gamestop for XBox. Be at Eb on Sept 1st for one on Nov 8th.

Originally posted by Flay
That's right. Gamestop has estimated taking 500,000 preorders for the XBox system. Now that includes Gamestop.com, Gamestop, Funcoland, Software ect. and Babbages.
How many people have paid any $$$ on said preorders? 34?
Old 08-29-01, 01:48 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

The link was posted at TeamXBox but I don't see it up anymore. Check the forums there.

So then Mom and Dad will buy their grade school kids a gamecube and their teenage kids a XBox. Although, I wouldn't be suprised if many of those little kids got XBox's due to lack of parental attention.

Anyway, lot's of teenagers will be getting the XBox this Christmas and through 2002. Teenagers see this as a peer admiration tool. Basically, they have an XBox and everyone wants to play it. I really don't see that with PC games. Computers still represent something geeky when it comes to peer pressure.

I think the XBox is nearly edging PC games out as far as graphics are concerned. Those games you spoke of are 1st generation games. Wait till the 3rd generation games are released fully using the XBox's processor and graphical capabilities. They will look just as good if not better than PC games.

I am eagerly aniticipating BattleField 1942 and the new Medal of Honor game. I know those will be released on the PC, but my buds will rather see it on the XBox. And so do I.

KoalSlaw, I don't know. Maybe none, Maybe many. Perhaps Jiggy can fill us in on that one.

Last edited by Flay; 08-29-01 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-29-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All the mature gamers already bought PS2s. I don't know why anyone who already spent $300 on PS2 last year would spend hundreds more buying an Xbox. Especially when all the big PS2 games are going to be released around the same time Xbox launches.
Old 08-29-01, 02:17 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Actually I sold my PS2 to partly pay for my XBox. While I agree most people will not shell out the big bucks for the XBox while they have the PS2, they might do what I did.

Certainly when Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 are going to be released for the XBox.
Old 08-29-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I preordered my Xbox from Camelot Music in March. My main feeling regarding the matter is that there are some great games coming out on this system that I'm really looking forward to: Halo, Jet Grind Radio, DOA3, Oddworld, Project Gotham Racing, Malice, etc.

Due to issues of $, I'm not planning on buying a new computer anytime soon, and needless to say, my 2 yr old 500mhz PIII probably won't be able to handle Halo or most of the new games coming out. Heck, I'm not sure I'd even be able to play Tribes 2 on my machine from most reports. A GeForce3 by itself is $300. I see paying that much for a console w/built in broadband to be a good investment.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-29-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Flay
Actually I sold my PS2 to partly pay for my XBox. While I agree most people will not shell out the big bucks for the XBox while they have the PS2, they might do what I did.

Certainly when Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 are going to be released for the XBox.
I can agree with you on SH2 (I believe, I really don't care...never really liked SH), but where did you get information that Metal Gear Solid 2 was coming to the X-Box? I remember hearing of a Metal Gear Solid X coming to the X-Box, but it was never confirmed (or denied) that it was a port of MGS2. In fact, most people think it is a non-Kojima developed game that combines MGS1 and 2 into a game...maybe a Ghost Babel (GBC) type of game.

I'd seriously like to hear where you saw MGS X was actually going to be a port of MGS2 though, please indulge me.
Old 08-29-01, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
I preordered my Xbox from Camelot Music in March. My main feeling regarding the matter is that there are some great games coming out on this system that I'm really looking forward to: Halo, Jet Grind Radio, DOA3, Oddworld, Project Gotham Racing, Malice, etc.
I am still very much on the fence with the X-Box. I am leaning toward not buying one at all and instead living with a PS2 and GC as my next generation consoles.

There is not a game shown to me yet that has excited me on the X-Box.

Halo has no on-line component and is a shell of what was shown to us way back when on the PC. I was looking forward to it on PC, but I will not buy an X-Box just for this game.

I disliked Jet Grind Radio, so Jet Grind Future (even though it looks great) will not excite me.

I dislike the DOA series, therefore putting DOA3 out of contention.

Oddworld is not as popular as everyone thinks it is and even though it may be revolutionary from the other two, I don't think it will be that great.

Project Gotham Racing looks promising, but it seems like every other developer other than Polyphony Digital has a problem with attaining the grandeur of Gran Turismo. Yes, I own MSR and liked it a lot, but it is still no Gran Turismo.

Malice is coming to the PS2, so it is not an X-Box exclusive (chances are that DOA3 will not be X-Box exclusive either, but may have it's graphics downgraded for another console).

So, what does that leave me with? Raw is War? That may turn into the next Royal Rumble on DC. I have heard nothing on the gameplay mechanics of it or anything.

I like Microsoft as a company, but I think they are really pushing it with the bundle deal and the fact that there are no games that interest me. I am not saying these games don't interest other people, but I've been in video games for a long time and great graphics do not a good game make.

That's about all from me.
Old 08-29-01, 03:50 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Metal Gear Solid X is a suped up edition of Metal Gear Solid 2

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...808072,00.html

Why would they want to use an old playstation game (Metal Gear Solid) on the new XBox anyway?
Old 08-29-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't read suped-up version there, nor do I read that it has been announced. Sounds like it is just said in passing, I would figure it would get more exposure than just a sentence. Until Konami personally announces it, I can't believe it. As for the thing I said, I was saying it was rumored to be a non-Kojima developed game that is between MGS1 and 2. I was not saying it was going to share the gameplay of one, the other, both or neither.
Old 08-29-01, 04:06 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

You know I looked at my first post concerning Metal Gear and it didn't say anything about Metal Gear Solid X.

The link says Konami is working on Metal Gear Solid 2 for the XBox. That's all I care about.
Old 08-29-01, 04:09 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

WELL THIS LINK DOES!

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...630903,00.html

Booya Grandma, Booya.
Old 08-29-01, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by AgtFox

Halo has no on-line component and is a shell of what was shown to us way back when on the PC. I was looking forward to it on PC, but I will not buy an X-Box just for this game.

I disliked Jet Grind Radio, so Jet Grind Future (even though it looks great) will not excite me.

I dislike the DOA series, therefore putting DOA3 out of contention.

Oddworld is not as popular as everyone thinks it is and even though it may be revolutionary from the other two, I don't think it will be that great.

Project Gotham Racing looks promising, but it seems like every other developer other than Polyphony Digital has a problem with attaining the grandeur of Gran Turismo. Yes, I own MSR and liked it a lot, but it is still no Gran Turismo.

Malice is coming to the PS2, so it is not an X-Box exclusive (chances are that DOA3 will not be X-Box exclusive either, but may have it's graphics downgraded for another console).

So, what does that leave me with? Raw is War? That may turn into the next Royal Rumble on DC. I have heard nothing on the gameplay mechanics of it or anything.

I like Microsoft as a company, but I think they are really pushing it with the bundle deal and the fact that there are no games that interest me. I am not saying these games don't interest other people, but I've been in video games for a long time and great graphics do not a good game make.

That's about all from me.
ehhh, I would've listed more games, but those were the ones that came to mind at the moment I posted. I enjoy fighting games, but haven't had much chance to play any lately due to not having a console and no decent arcade nearby. I also loathe sports games other than racing.

While it's true that many of the xbox games so far listed may also have PC ports, the fact remains like I mentioned above, that my PC almost certainly won't have the power to run them, and I don't have the cash for a new one. I'll hold onto it for online gaming -- though if Asheron's Call 2 comes out for Xbox like it's rumored, that'll be a WHOLE new ballgame!!!

Personally, I'm not concerned about ports being unique or otherwise, mainly for the fact that I don't have a console at all, but the fact that I do enjoy PC games is perhaps one of the main attractions of the Xbox -- a mini pc (sorta), that should require no patches, viruses, or anything else.

Looking at some of the Japanese games scheduled for it has excited me even more. I don't know if Camelot is going to end up with any sort of bundle package or not - I probably oughta call them and check, but either way, I'm really looking forward to this.

Tuan Jim

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.