Search this Thread

Old 08-28-01, 10:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Any reviews on Mario Kart for GBA?

Any from any website, or from you?
Old 08-28-01, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamespot posted a review last night and loved it.. They gave it a 8.6 I believe but said it was a must own. Personally, I just got it today and it's a blast so far.. A bit hard to see where you are going on a few of the courses when the track is thin and when things get going fast and there are other racers around.. but it looks amazing.. it's very polished and to see this 3D racer on the a handheld with the power ups and scaling effects - carts racing around - not to mention the very impressive backgrounds that have animation and weather effects.. One of the best for GBA by far.

Last edited by RCL66; 08-29-01 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-28-01, 11:35 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
are they the "flat" characters like they were in the SNES or more "3D" like in the N64?

--HN
Old 08-29-01, 10:29 AM

They are more 3D like the N64 version. Everything is so small I can't tell if they are true 3D/polygon or just a great effect.
Old 08-29-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EGM gave it: 9, 8.5, & 8, if that helps

I have mine ordered, actually, but can't wait to play it
Old 08-29-01, 12:38 PM

I just got it yesterday, and I can't put it down. It really stays true to Mario Kart 64. It really shows that the GBA is the most powerful handheld ever
Old 08-29-01, 04:02 PM

Two small complaints... Does anyone else think the control is a little trickier than in previous games? Maybe it's just because the GBA buttons are so small; I find I'm having a little trouble accurately drifiting around corners.

Also, I was a little disappointed that it's like the SNES version in that the tracks are completely flat. I would have preferred sacrificing a little graphical detail if it meant they could fit in some tracks with hills or ramps like the N64 version.

Other than these minor issues, I'm very happy with it. Only $25 from K-Mart. Sweet.
Old 08-29-01, 04:09 PM

I have a hard time with the controls on corners also.. You either have to brake with the A-B button combo which slows you down a lot or you have to use the R button, but I hate that little jump it does first. Still, I find with practice I get better at going into corners the correct way (like real racing) so I think in time it won't matter.

I agree, some hills and such would have been nice but I think they were limited by technology. Diddy Kong Racing (despite the way to sweet feel) was the best Kart Game in the past several years.

Amazing that this game is going for $25 at several places and games like Chu-Chu Rocket (a good game, but come on) and Pitfall are going for $39.
Old 08-29-01, 09:22 PM

IGN Posted their review.. I think they liked it, giving it a 9.5!

IGN Mario Kart Review
Old 08-30-01, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what kharacter do u pick the most to race with?? mine is toad. too bad they took out troopa.
Old 08-30-01, 10:16 AM

I usually pick Yoshi, he's light, but with poor handling, but I tend to win with him