Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is CDNOW.COM in good financial health?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-01, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got some CDNOW.COM GC and I am wondering whether I should use that to buy the X-FILES(Season 4 DVD set which is due out in November) or just spend it now for some other DVDs. Would prefer to get the X-FILES but not sure if CDNOW will last till that time. All these recent bankrupts is pretty scary...
Old 08-27-01, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where dot coms are concerned there is no such thing as "good financial health". Hell, Amazon had over a billion dollars in sales last year an they're STILL losing money. That being said CDLATER probably isn't going anywhere any time soon. They have been around a while and there are usually warning signs months in advance before companies go belly up.
Old 08-27-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I don't think they'd go belly up in the midst of the Christmas buying season (November). Besides, they would probably try some kind of merger or get bought by a brick & mortar retailer before they just closed up shop. At the very least, they would try to stay afloat and pretend everything is fine, like express.com.
I just ordered some CDs on sale from CDNow and received them within a week without a hitch so I wouldn't worry about it. They do tend to gig you on shipping, though. If they have a free shipping sale at some point, you might want to take advantage of it.
Old 08-27-01, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they were almost gone about a year or so ago. I think they were bought by a person/company from Mexico that I think also took over CompUsa. I might be wrong though.
Old 08-27-01, 07:54 PM

CDNow's owned by German multi-national Bertelsmann AG, I think. Therefore, it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 08-27-01, 09:31 PM

Cdnow had already bancrupted once bofore The european company bought them.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6772083.html
Old 08-28-01, 12:00 AM

They are owned by BMG (Bertlesman Music Group) of Germany, which is a major/rock-solid company. So, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 08-28-01, 06:57 AM

I was listening to a national radio show about three weeks ago ( I do not remeber the guys name ) but it was a financial show and he was said that CDNOW closed down their Japan Based arm of the business recently which was not only into distribution, but also into publishing music. He claimed that they were doomed.
Old 08-28-01, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by flylikeaneagle
I was listening to a national radio show about three weeks ago ( I do not remeber the guys name ) but it was a financial show and he was said that CDNOW closed down their Japan Based arm of the business recently which was not only into distribution, but also into publishing music. He claimed that they were doomed.
They are not going away anytime soon...as some have stated, they are owned by Bertlesmann, which has more money than a dog has fleas. As an aside, why do people refer to them as CDLater? I always get my pre-orders before street date...hardly "later".
Old 08-29-01, 08:55 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by King Slender

They are not going away anytime soon...as some have stated, they are owned by Bertlesmann, which has more money than a dog has fleas. As an aside, why do people refer to them as CDLater? I always get my pre-orders before street date...hardly "later".
I think that was before they filed for bankrupcy... I also don't have a single problem with them.
Old 08-30-01, 11:57 AM

CDNow is cutting 200 jobs. Sounds like they're going to be more integrated into BMG...Not a surprise there, but that usually doesn't mean good things for customer service.

http://inq.philly.com/content/inquir...ss/CDNOW30.htm
Old 09-02-01, 08:50 AM
Roo

There are obviously no guarantees.

We all remember Reel.com, owned by the stable Hollywood Video. Reel bled money left and right, so Hollywood shut them down (as a store at least). Same goes for Micheal Eisner's Checkout.com.

BMG may be a solid company, but if a division of theirs isn't profitable for too long then they'll sell them or shut them down, just like any company with half a brain would.