Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is it with NFL2K1 Online?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-27-01, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the game for a while, but never played online. Mostly due to the fact that I wasn't really familiar with the plays. NFL2K, playbook I knew like the back of my hand. So, I log on, and I get challenged. I accept, I figure I'll get my @ss handed to me. I choose Broncos(49er fan, but their ol sucks). We start the game, and I start marching down the field. I'm just picking apart his secondary. No score, and then he quits on me. WTF. No one even scored yet. Anyways, it doesn't take long for another challenge, and I accept again. This time it Broncos(me) vs. Browns(him). He chooses snow, and cold weather, Browns stadium. I win toss, he calls for onside kick, I audible and recover the ball. I march down the field and score my first online td(yay!) His posession, I intercept and run it in for a TD. So it's 14-0, in my favor. I suck at defense, so he's able to march down the field almost at will with the Browns. So it's 20-12 my favor late in the 4th. With about 1:20 remaining. I just intercepted the ball. I figure I'll use the clock and go for it on 4th down, that way it will be interesting. But then he QUITS on me. WTF. Doesn't anyone finish a game around here? Is pride that big a deal? I wouldn't care if I lost. Anyways, I finally got a third challenge, we finished that game, I won 14-3. Broncos vs. Titans. But still, this is pretty disappointing, I would stay even if I was losing. How do you look up your own rating for NFL2K1? I saw a lot of ratings that were poor or fair. I guess I'll stick with PSO.
Old 08-27-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one ever finishes a game of NFL2K1 for some reason. Bunch of spoil sports
Old 08-27-01, 12:18 PM

Really? Man that sucks. What's the point of Online then. It seems like the best way to ruin a game is to have other people play it with you.
Old 08-27-01, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I forget where it was, but there used to be a long list of people who quit on a website. The list was HUGE. I don't play on-line much anymore, but I would never quit a game whether I was getting my ass handed to me or not.
Old 08-27-01, 01:18 PM

NFL 2K2 will tell how many disconnects if it is anything like the on-line play in WSB2K2. I hope it does because some people have to be avioded or they will quit every game they start lossing. Not me I suck because the on-line plays are very chopy and screw me up .
Old 08-27-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have played only one game online with NFL2k1. Basically cause the guy I played was an idiot. He kept on going for it on fourth down, always going for two point conversions, I ended up spanking him pretty bad.

He was trying to be a jerk near the end of the game and kept on running offsides during the extra point. There are a lot of idiots playing online.

I have had pretty decent experiences with Quake though. I have managed to spank some people pretty bad even though I use the controler.
Old 08-27-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently purchased the dreamcast and will wait for NFL2K2, but if this crap is true about online quiters, that sucks. I have a friend who comes over about 1 every 2 weeks a we play a marrathon of NFL Blitz and out of 30 games we play he is lucky to win 1 the games are close most of the time but i guess I have his number. But anyways he has never once quit on me in any game even when I beat him last week 71-6.

People have to grow and realize it is a game.........

Now to my question. Can anyone explain how to set up my dreamcast foe online play..... I know I have to buy the keyboard and mouse but then what?

Thanks.....
Old 08-27-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually you don't need the keyboard and mouse, there is an option when you use the browser disc that brings up a keyboard screen and you can use your controler to type the letters.

You can just set it up by using the browser disc and entering your dial up information or you can use on of the many online game discs to set up your information.

I am actually thinking of trying out WSB2K2 online tonight.
Old 08-28-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
There are a lot of idiots playing online.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 08-28-01, 02:29 PM
Retired

That's the number one problem with online games, and the reason I quit playing them after a few times of NFL2K1. That was the first and last time I'll try an online game. In addition to quitters, playing with some dweeb online just can't compare to playing with your friends in the same room.
Old 08-28-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe we can get a list going here. I'll take any of you guys on (after I practice for a few weeks)

A lot of the ppl from www.dreamcast.net didn't quit either.
Old 08-28-01, 02:51 PM

That's why online leagues are so great.

Randomly playing anonymous players from the lobby usually is a recipe in frustration. After a steady diet of the quitters and those who cheaply exploit glitches/weaknesses in gameplay (throwing way too many outs, and the crowd-waving blitzer in football; "runaway" D, figure eights against the manual defender until an easy layup develops in basketball), you'll be looking to join an online league for quality opponents.

I've been in 6 leagues for the now-three Sega online sports, and I rarely go back to play non-league games. I'd rather play the pretty much guaranteed two quality games per week than 20 random ones.

There's a limited membership in each (anywhere from 15 to 30 teams, depending on league and sport) so a feeling of community develops, which combined with the fact that each game counts in the standings, adds so much more to the thrill when you find yourself in a very tight game.

Lose on a last-second FG or win on a bottom-of-the-9th 3 run homer in a league game, and you'll get pretty much the same feeling you'd have in a "real-life" game. It's something you can't duplicate against random opponents or AI.
Old 08-28-01, 05:30 PM

Ya, a league would be kinda cool. DVDtalk NFL2K1 fantasy league would be nice. Draft rosters like a fantasy league, but actually play it out online instead of letting players points dictate who wins. Anyone here interested in trying this out?
Old 08-28-01, 09:38 PM

Sega's sports games only allow the use of the default rosters online, so there's no playing between teams resulting from a draft of individual players. You can only play with teams as they're composed when you tear the shrinkwrap off the GD-ROM's case.

And let me plug my league with WSB2k2 players by saying that we need a coach for the St Louis Cardinals. Feel free to check us out. {Hopefully, this doesn't break any forum rules here.}
Old 08-28-01, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I plan I getting NCAA College Football 2K2 this week. Can anyone please tell me what website I have to go to and what I have to do. Thanks
Old 08-28-01, 10:45 PM

NFLX's post, copied and pasted from the UGO forums:

VGN-CFA League
Run By Tom C.

UGFL NCAA2k2 League
Run By UGFL (Big9er and Co, not sure of the specific commish)

GamingPub.com NCAA2k2 League
Would be run by GamingPub.com
Status: Gauging interest for a league and will hold one w/ enough replies. http://www.gamingpub.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi and click on 'NCAA2k2PA'

The first two are both essentially offshoots from last year's most successful NFL2k1 league, the then-named UGOFL (which actually ran 2 separate 31-team leagues concurrently). That's why space is limited (or already non-existent).

Gamingpub's will also probably be just as successful, as long as there's enough interest to get the league formed in the first place.
Old 08-28-01, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I wouldn't mind taking on someone from the forum here, is there anyway to find someone while playing NFL2K1?
Old 08-29-01, 03:37 PM

You'd have to know the exact name someone uses for the game.

When in the lobbies, press 'Start', type in the opponent's name, then hit enter. That will run a search and tell you whether that person is waiting in any lobby.