Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How about a Sports forum?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-01, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought. I'm sure it would be well received.....
Old 08-27-01, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Same response as "music forum" ... better off as seperate threads, rather than an empty forum.
Old 08-27-01, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bushdog

I strongly agree. Sports and music flourish in Other already.
I weakly agree. Sports and band/genre/cd of the day threads flourish in Other already. I still have yet to see any dvd-audio threads in Other--or any threads about music dvds. Every now and then I catch them in dvdtalk but they don't seem to last long. The volume of threads simply washes them away.
Old 08-27-01, 10:50 AM
Retired

Music deserves it's own forum because it is home theater related, just like video games. I hate scouring through all the crap posts in other to look for music posts.

I'd like to see a sports forum too, but I can't justify it. Sports has nothing to do with home theater at all, so it should just stay in other.
Old 08-27-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Music deserves it's own forum because it is home theater related, just like video games. I hate scouring through all the crap posts in other to look for music posts.

I'd like to see a sports forum too, but I can't justify it. Sports has nothing to do with home theater at all, so it should just stay in other.
100% agree.
Old 08-27-01, 11:58 AM

I'd only be interested in a Sports Forum from September - January... after football is over, I'd have no use for discussion of the other sports.
Old 08-27-01, 12:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by Bushdog Josh, would it be fair to characterize your opinion as preferring every topic you like that is in Other to be seperated out into different forums and then just leave whatever is left there to rot?
</small>

I don't get it.

He explained the "logic" in a coherent manner; even stating that he liked sports-related discussion but that giving it its own forum would fall outside of the logical constraints that he had devised.

I don't necessarily agree (or disagree) with <b>joshhinkle</b> but can't see how the post <i>on its own</i> could be <b>more</b> "mischaracterised" ....
Old 08-27-01, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by benedict
I don't get it.

He explained the "logic" in a coherent manner; even stating that he liked sports-related discussion but that giving it its own forum would fall outside of the logical constraints that he had devised.

I don't necessarily agree (or disagree) with <b>joshhinkle</b> but can't see how the post <i>on its own</i> could be <b>more</b> "mischaracterised" ....
Firstly, I was asking him a question for which I wished him to respond. How can I mischaracterize something if I am EXPLICITLY asking him if my take was correct or not?

Secondly, I just don't buy the reasoning/logic. I mean a Book forum is home theater related? I don't really think a music forum is home theater related, well not closely. I mean, we already have a home theater hardware forum to address the sound elements. What would be left is 'Who is your fav 60's/70's/80's/90's/Punk/Brit Punk/Most Underrated/etc band?' And discussions of new releases of music (though careful not to discuss MTV, videos or anything seen on television, as we already have a forum for that). How many CD's do you own? What are you listening to right now? Gorrilaz overrated? etc. . . It doesn't seem very clearly Home Theater related, thus my question to him.

Finally, my question was not about the post 'on its own', I am trying to understand his reasoning behind his position based on this post and previous ones.

I can understand your interest in making your views known, but I truly was asking a question with no hidden agenda. I had an impression on his feelings and wanted to see if they were on target or not.

Postscript, I can't say I care for you suggesting that I am purposely mischaracterizing what he is saying. Especially when you consider that I was addressing someone other than you.
Old 08-27-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
I don't really think a music forum is home theater related, well not closely. I mean, we already have a home theater hardware forum to address the sound elements. What would be left is 'Who is your fav 60's/70's/80's/90's/Punk/Brit Punk/Most Underrated/etc band?' And discussions of new releases of music (though careful not to discuss MTV, videos or anything seen on television, as we already have a forum for that). How many CD's do you own? What are you listening to right now? Gorrilaz overrated? etc. . . It doesn't seem very clearly Home Theater related, thus my question to him.
Bushdog, some of the topics you just mentioned would most likely be new topics in a music forum. Music video discussion and such I would assume would go in the music forum as other music video threads are in Other now. But there's much more. Do you think you could possibly have thought of all the video game discussion currently going on? Further, I really don't understand the argument against a music forum. Didn't Geoff already say he was going to add one? Of course, I assume you would know more about this than I would ...
Old 08-27-01, 01:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

FYI, nowhere have I stated, or will I state, that <b>joshhinkle</b><i> isn't </i>creating/postulating a set of rules that fits with his preconceived notions as to how things should be. I suppose the option remains to quote from a series of his posts and ask if one can make a certain assumption based on the <i>cumulative</i> impression given.<small>
Originally posted by Bushdog Postscript, I can't say I care for you suggesting that I am purposely mischaracterizing what he is saying. Especially when you consider that I was addressing someone other than you.
</small>I didn't say it was purposeful, so your dismay is unwarranted IMO. Because the comments are being made in a <I>forum</i> rather than by <i>email</i> I can't see any valid objection in adding something on-topic to a thread. (I'd risk a bet that part of <b>joshhinkle</b>'s problem with <i>Other</i> is the tendency for unchecked hijacking and frippery even in the more serious threads).

I, too am aware of his previous posts on the subject, which is why <i>I</i> made clear that I was addressing just this one. Given that you quoted it yourself, and did not specifically allude to any others, I did not think my follow-up was unreasonable.

FWIW, your point about the Book Forum appearing not to fall within the logical framework, as stated,<i> does</i> seem to need a reply. [Edited to add] But, on the other hand, <b>joshhinkle </b> did not initially think that a Book Forum was especially warranted on its own merits. What he <i>did</i> say (and I've just checked) was that because Geoff was in favour of one perhaps he should just go ahead and do it to suit himself; even if only on a trial basis. So perhaps it "not fitting" isn't strictly his problem!

Last edited by benedict; 08-27-01 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-27-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still don't believe that dvdaudio really has a place yet in this forum. I think that under home entertainment it would work perfectly.

I think that there is a need for this...although, not an urgent need. I agree that it could hurt the other forum to move music discussions out. However, I think it might be a necessary evil to give dvd-a a home.

Sports...eh that certainly belongs to other at this point.
Old 08-28-01, 02:37 PM
Retired

Bushdog,

No I don't think everything should be segmented out of other. Just the stuff that is home theater related, like music. As others said in my defense, I clearly sated that I like sports discussion and think they should remain in other as it would be too off topic to have it's own forum here. And music is home theater related. Everyone listens to music on their home theater, because it is likely the best stereo system they own, through in DVD audio and DVD music videos and it existence is very justifiable. It's the same as Video Games. They have, and deserve, there own forum because they are home theater related because they are played on home theaters.

Having a music forum will encourage more music discussion. All we have in other is the stupid "todays cd's" threads (who cares what people are listening to everyday?) and the occasional album discussion thread that usually gets 5-10 replies and then gets buried on the 4th page. If music had it's own forum these threads would stay on the front page for at least a day or two, giving more people a chance to see them and join in the discussion.

Anyway, this argument is pointless as Geoff has already stated that he plans to add a Music/DVD Audio forum.

Originally posted by gkleinman
OK, here's the deal.

THERE WILL be a Music Talk forum.

I just like to stagger out, new forums so that they don't get lost in the shuffle.

One of the details I am working out is if it is going to be in the General Discussions or DVD Discussions.

If I had to launch it today it would probably be in the DVD Discussions and be titled something like:

DVD-Audio and Music Talk

hmmmm, I like the sound of that .

I will probably launch it in the next couple of weeks....

Old 08-29-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
on the sports forum idea

the music one would be good too
Old 09-23-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Push back up so maybe might reconsider. I think be nice to have so can have discussions of post season baseball and the football season. Plus the Olympics are coming soon.
Old 09-23-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally posted by strife
Push back up so maybe might reconsider. I think be nice to have so can have discussions of post season baseball and the football season. Plus the Olympics are coming soon.
I'll jump in here and say that Bushy is right on. There is simply no justification for a Sports forum.
Old 09-23-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JustinS

I'll jump in here and say that Bushy is right on. There is simply no justification for a Sports forum.
nawww.. start up a sports forum.. Ill keep it busy

alot of sports subjects get mixed into single threads, to keep other from being overrun with sports threads.. but I could easily keep a sports only forum busy
Old 09-23-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's a very good idea, especially now that in the next month all the major sports will be in action.
Old 09-24-01, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
MOFU ASTRONOMY
Old 09-24-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm fine with no Sports Forum, but can we stop with the One and Only Official sports threads. I don't want to wade through 31 pages of a college football thread just to discuss a single game. I like the idea of keeping sports discussions in Other, but it needs to be able to breathe in there as well.

das
Old 09-24-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
I'm fine with no Sports Forum, but can we stop with the One and Only Official sports threads. I don't want to wade through 31 pages of a college football thread just to discuss a single game. I like the idea of keeping sports discussions in Other, but it needs to be able to breathe in there as well.

das
Well, I think the reason members create them is because, if they aren't present, then maybe they'll be 6 or 7 threads on individual NFL or college games. Take your pick: multiple short threads on individual games or one long thread on the games of the day. I think most NFL or college football fans don't mind reading about games they aren't as interested in. Further, posters who aren't NFL and college football fans (since these are the biggest problems with so many games on one day) wouldn't like to see so many threads on essentially the same subject.

I still don't think we need a Sports forum. Music forum, on the other hand ...

Last edited by RJainMJ; 09-24-01 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-25-01, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by namja
MOFU ASTRONOMY
does anyone get this?
Old 09-25-01, 09:49 AM
Mod Emeritus

does anyone get this?

Nope!
Old 09-27-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MOFU ASTRONOMY
Old 09-27-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

chitown care to fill the rest of us in. Brain does not compute
Old 10-07-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk God

well...

we have a music forum now..

guess sports will be next?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.