Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mission, Mei Ah or Tai Seng?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-01, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the Mei Ah version of The Mission and loved the movie, but I am disappointed with the quality of the DVD. Does anyone know if the Tai Seng version has dramatically better picture and sound quality than the Mei Ah version, and does it include chapter stops?
Old 08-26-01, 06:11 PM

With Tai Seng, it's very possible that the disc is simply the exact same disc, with a Tai Seng sticker put on it. They don't do too many of their own editions.
Old 08-26-01, 06:59 PM

RE:

It's probably the same exact DVD.
The movies is really good. The picture has a faint imprint of what looks like a logo or something that can be noticed every once in a while even though it is there throughout the film.

Vanian
Old 08-26-01, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks. I suspected they were given my prior experience with Tai Seng, but I wanted to confirm this. If the Tai Seng release was significantly better I would have upgraded. I really liked the style of this movie even though some people have termed it "underwhelming". I am looking forward to watching Running Out of Time and A Hero Never Dies. I have read that both of these are also very good and both by Johnny To.
Old 08-26-01, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I read somewhere a while back that there was going to be a special North American edition of this movie, but looking at Taiseng's website it is obviously just a Taiseng sticker-slapper (import). Outstanding movie.
Old 08-26-01, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by indycohiba
I am looking forward to watching Running Out of Time and A Hero Never Dies. I have read that both of these are also very good and both by Johnny To.
RooT is a GREAT movie For this though the import and the TS version are different. The video looks about the same (IIRC I thought the TS version looked a little darker I think it was) on both. The audio on the import is 5.1, but it doesn't really exploit it all that well IMHO. The audio on the TS version is stereo I believe but it does include a commentary (and a POS dubbed track).