Reload this Page >

Any value in old PC games...?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-26-01, 01:06 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm cleaning out some closets, and I have about 20 old pc games (Eye of the Beholder 1, 2; Mechwarrior 2; Ultima VII on up; Tomb Raider 1, 2; Prince of Persia 1, 2; Magic Carpet; Crusader No Remorse/Regret; Links LS, etc.).

Do you think it's worth the trouble to go through them (most are in their original boxes with the maps/game books) to make sure they're complete and then sell them? And if so, would you go Ebay or Half.com?

Or should I just throw them away?

I did a search on ebay for a couple of titles and it seems like a lot of auctions close without any bids, or close for less than $5 a game.

Thanks for any advice.

-David
Old 08-26-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold a bunch of mine at my garage sale for $2 each.

I guess you could also donate them to Goodwill of something for a tax writeoff.
Old 08-26-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
maybe try to take them to your local EB if they take trade-ins on pc stuff. you probably won't get much, but at least you can put the credit towards other games.
Old 08-26-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I called my local Gamestop (EB owned) and they said they won't take PC games no more. Too bad really. Some used bookstores will buy used computer games though. I know some here in NC at least.

Magic Carpet. I think I only played the second one -- that game rocked.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-26-01, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Try Ebay, you never know what you'll get.

Crusader-man that takes me back....ah, sweet memories.
Old 08-27-01, 12:01 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about listing them here? If we're in this forum, we're at least mildly interested in video games... some of us (myself included) might be looking for that copy of Monkey Island (or whatever) that we can't find in stores.

The EBs in my area (Tysons Corner, VA, and Gaithersburg, MD) take PC game trade-ins for store credit, and I got rid of a bunch of my old (and not-so-old) games and a DVD or three to get some credit towards a PS2 & accessories... I ended up getting about $100, which definitely helped.

Last edited by Static Cling; 08-27-01 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-27-01, 01:47 AM

If you're pressed for time, you could always put up all the games as one big lot on ebay... just don't include the boxes, else shipping would be more than the games
Old 08-27-01, 02:17 AM
Uber Member

Ebay's starting to look a little more interesting as I do searches on some of these titles.

Master of Magic is going for about $15. And I have a few of the Links LS course libraries. And the bag tags too!

We don't have an EB (Electronic Boutique right?) here. Just Software Etc. We do have some used book stores that might take them too.

michael_sharma, I might list them here too. I have to go through them to make sure they all have their discs and manuals. Boxes are all in pretty good shape too. I even have cloth maps and trinkets in the Origin Game boxes!

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll let you know what I decide to do.

-David
Old 08-27-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jingoro
If you're pressed for time, you could always put up all the games as one big lot on ebay... just don't include the boxes, else shipping would be more than the games
Sound advice, unless you decide to target the collector's market (yes, there is one). Most of the games you listed would be a little too recent for most collectors, but these are near silver-age games of very high quality. You could make some money off of them, but you will need to include the boxes and all the manuals, inserts, etc.

Remember, on ebay you can crank up that shipping charge to make some extra cash.

Or just donate them to the nearest Goodwill or Sally Anne to take the tax write-off and I will find them myself: Just don't throw them out, somebody, somewhere will want them. Find that somebody.