Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted - Open Your Eyes

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-01, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody seen this DVD yet?
Old 08-25-01, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... I have the Spanish DVD, titled Abre los ojos and am waiting with bated breath to see what the Hollywood remake of this movie - to be titled, unless I'm mistaken (and I may very well be) Vanilla Sky and starring Tom Cruise - will look like...

...meanwhile, here is one cranky review of the Spanish original:

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/openyoureyes.html

. . . . . .
Old 08-25-01, 08:03 AM

Open Your Eyes is not currently available in Region 1 on DVD.

However, director Alejandro Amenabar's first film, "Tesis" is available (under the American title "Thesis"), and I prefer it to both Open Your Eyes and The Others.

Don't get me wrong, all of his films are great. I would recommend that everyone see Open Your Eyes (I understand that it's on ShowTime every other week) before you see Vanilla Sky, as I have a really bad feeling about the remake.
Old 08-25-01, 04:02 PM

It is available and its from artisan. I bought it at borders for 16.95 on friday. Watched it last night and was pleased with the quality of the transfer. Penelope Cruz is so much better in her native language. This is a fun film that has mucho twists and turns. The acting is good and the direction is confident. I enjoyed it and can only wonder why this one flew under everyones radar. Maybe T Cruise and the power of scientology put the voodoo on this release.
Old 08-25-01, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the reveiw information.

The movie sounded interesting so I bought it before I could find any reviews. And I know about the remake so I wanted to see the original because they tend to be much better then the remake.

I ordered the dvd from Amazon on Wednesday since none of my local reatailers had any in stock. And I was surprised that I could only find a couple of online retailers that were even offering the dvd. And even though it hasn't shipped from Amazon yet I hope to have it by the end of next week and will post a review after seeing it.
Old 08-25-01, 10:14 PM

I stand corrected.

It was just released this past week.

I watch the release announcements very closely...don't know how I missed this one.

The last rumor I'd heard was that Artisan would release it to coincide with Vanilla Sky.

DeepDiscountDVD has it for $14.39 shipped...that looks tempting. I will definitely be picking this one up. And I still urge everyone to check out Tesis.
Old 08-25-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Open Your Eyes will show on Sundance Channel East on 9/1 at 3:00am
9/9 at 1:35am, and 9/17 at 11:00pm.
Old 08-28-01, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, this one kind of snuck out and was released without much fanfare. I'd wanted to see it again after seeing the VHS version (yes, I wanted to see it so much I had to borrow a VHS!), and will definitely get this one. I have a feeling Cameron Crowe's "Vanilla Sky" remake will have a totally different "feel" to it. There's something about these foreign films that has never been translated well to an American film. I loathe to see anyone try to remake "Lovers of the Arctic Circle", for example.