Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where to buy Japanese R2 DVDs in US...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I am probably asking for a lot, but...

Is there a online DVD store that:
* sells Japanese R2 DVDs
* ships to the US
* has decent prices
* and is in English

According to this site, http://www.davisdvd.com/News/Regiona...ernational.htm

there is a R2 Jap. WS version of Vegas Vacation and hopefully the other National Lampoons films as well (already have an R2 Vacation)

Thanks for any info

-Brett
Old 08-25-01, 01:46 AM

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an online U.S. retailer of Japanese R2 DVD's that fits your specifications. Beware of sazuma.com! They have one location in the U.S., and I believe they have a location in Germany as well, and the internet is filled with horror stories of many customers' bad experiences with them (including my own). If you happen to stumble across sazuma, I strongly recommend that you not use them, as they don't have a very good track record.

Personally, I would recommend cdjapan.co.jp. They are based in Japan, not the U.S., however their website is in English and they are a reputable company. I've used them twice (I can't afford to buy Japanese DVDs very often as they tend to cost around $50 a piece), and both times I received my order faster than many domestic orders that I've placed. I recall it taking around 7-10 days, and I'm on the east coast of the U.S. The prices, unfortunately, are not cheap. Japanese DVDs are just plain expensive, and it seems that there's really no way around it that I know of.

I wasn't able to find "Vegas Vacation" on a quick search of cdjapan's website, however you might want to inquire about special ordering it.
Old 08-25-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'Tis true. Order from cdjapn or amazon.jp because US sellers tend to put a hefty markup on japanese disc's....You can get r2's $20 cheaper from cdjapan or amazon.jp then you would from laserexchange or rpmrecords (now grove-entertainmet).
Old 08-25-01, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.cdjapan.co.jp
www.amazon.co.jp
www.amotokyo.com....they used to sell mostly anime, but after many requests have started selling non-anime Japanese releases.

It's better to order directly from Japan. U.S. retailers add such a large markup that even after paying the shipping charges, it's cheaper to import discs yourself.
Old 08-26-01, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll vouch for cdjapan and amotokyo. Cdjapan is a couple days faster, but I haven't checked prices, I'd guess amotokyo is cheaper. Just got my first order from them, Di Gi Charat DVD 1-5, if anyone cares, I'll make reviews.