Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Review Request: The Sword

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-01, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

1980? Is it good? Too old?
Old 08-24-01, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should be reviewing it this weekend - the first I got for review (about 3 weeks ago) just didn't work at all, so I have my fingers crossed on this one.

None of the packing/disc art is in English tho...
Old 08-24-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great swordplay picture dealing with the themes of fighters striving to become the best and, despite being virtuous, willing to die to prove their prowess- the paradox of even if you respect the person you are fighting having to kill them or be killed to prove yourself. A more contemplative and plot driven film, its a good compliment to Crouching Tiger...

While fairly straightforward in story, acting, and action, it is a solid film. It may lack the crazy inventiveness of Duel to the Death when it comes to the fight scenes (no 15 ft tall ninjas that break apart into separate swordsmen) but it is especially satisfying in the lack of grandness, being understated. The fights are kept clean, brief, and simple, until the finale, which is a fantastic, dazzlingly bloody duel. The direction is very good, with some keen cinematography, and sets that display some nice uses of colour. Recommended for the wuxia fan.

The DVD is the mainland company WA. While not spectacular, the film does look great for an older HK film. The picture and sound (Mandarin with optional English subs) are not horrible but not outstanding, still making a purchase well worth it. It should be considered a classic, Its long been under the radar, and its nice to see this more story driven film getting some attention under Crouching Tigers shadow.

In my opinion, it does stand the test of time, but you can tell it is an older film. Personally, to Trigger, you do tend to prefer more modern work, so theres no telling if it will grab you.

If anyone wants a rundown of the plot, I can post one..., but I dont know how well a synopsis will help...either you're intrigued by it or not, regardless of story specifics.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 08-24-01 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-24-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really enjoyed this movie and I thought the DVD looked exceptionally clean for a HK movie this old. Much better picture quality than a movie like Shaolin Master Killer. In fact, I personally enjoyed the movie much more than Master Killer, even though they are not really alike. If you like HK movies, I would definitely buy this one.

Last edited by indycohiba; 08-24-01 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-24-01, 10:09 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with iaido 100%...about a year ago, or maybe 6 months or so, Harry over at Aint-it-cool-news....got a free copy and did a review making it out to be the greatest movie ever made...he was wrong of course, but it did bring this movie out of the dark, and get a lot of people into it....it does not look as old as some HK movies from the 80's...
Old 08-25-01, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, the Sword was for a long time, a big pain to find. I only rana cross a copy when I was going through Pokers catalog, and was suprised to find it on DVD since many HK nuts I knew had never seen/heard ot it. I had always just read about it and seen a trailer for it on an old tape. Needless to say, its nice to see it come out if the woodwork. Now, if only someone would give King Hu's Touch of Zen (arguably the first artistic martial film) a good release
Old 08-25-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Harry's AICN review
Link
Old 08-27-01, 01:45 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Thrush...That review still makes me laugh....Harry wants to SO bad be a Hong Kong movie expert, but the fact he knows NOTHING about The Sword before someone sends it to him free, and even trys to look it up on IMDB and can not find it, shows him for what he is..