Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Confession Time: For all you "Original Language" Fans

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-23-01, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I like my Kung FU, HK movies in their Original Lang too, but sometimes I'm lasy and don't feel like reading so I put on the english dub.

Don't you?
Old 08-23-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[shame]I only own the domestic release of Drunken Master 2[/shame]
Old 08-23-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Confession Time: For all you "Original Language" Fans

Originally posted by B4Bishop
Hey, I like my Kung FU, HK movies in their Original Lang too, but sometimes I'm lasy and don't feel like reading so I put on the english dub.

Don't you?
No.

A matter of fact, I found the "Legend of Drunken Master" dub so annoyingly distracting that I watched the movie with the French dub on and read the subtitles. I tried turning the volume dow first but I missed the background noises.
Old 08-23-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
No. If the original language track is not available, I don't buy or rent it.

If I'm not in the mood to read subtitles, I watch an English movie.
Old 08-23-01, 06:16 PM

yeah I do this as well....my preference for newer flicks is original language, but sometimes you don't want to give a movie 100% attentions like if you are haivng a few beers and what not and I just put it on English dub....although some english dubs are so bad I can't watch...like OUATIC
Old 08-23-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wing Chun English Dub - Woefully Painful and Annoying.

Iron Monkey English Dub - Shoot me now. I'd rather bleed to death than listen to this again.
Old 08-23-01, 07:20 PM

Don't you?
No!!!!!!!
But then again, I seldom put on the subs because they are annoying and get in the way of the film (that's why I hate burned in subs). But then again I do know cantonese. But then I did watch both Jin Roh and Bichunmoo in Cantonese before watching in their original languages.
Old 08-23-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I listen to the dub mainly for analysis purposes on writing reviews when I need to critique the quality of the dub. Well, actually I did switch to Cantonese from Mandarin for CTHD when it appeared that my wife was going to have a fit over listening to Michelle's Mandarin.
Old 08-23-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will only watch a subbed movie in dubbed mode if I am in another room or similar and I have seen it a few times already. Occasionally will watch with dub & sub to see if the translation is the same (very often it's markedly different).

However, I will ALWAYS watch the film the first few times in subtitles only.
Old 08-23-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not on Japanese anime, no.
Old 08-23-01, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's against my religion to watch DVDs in anything but their original language.

100% original language only please. If the original language track is not there, we won't watch it.
Old 08-23-01, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To inflict pain beyond belief. Take aforementioned movie and put on the English Dub with English Subtitles.

See how long you can last....
Old 08-23-01, 09:07 PM

No, I always watch in the original language, given the chance. It's not a matter of effort for me - as I have become completely adapted to reading subs. I understand that the first couple subbed movies a person watches take a little getting used to. But, once you are accustomed to it, it is nothing to glance down and glance back up.

Watching in the original language is always optimal. I have found that in some movies, it has actually changed whether I liked or disliked the movie. I watched Tokyo Raiders dubbed first (cause the rental place didn't have the DVD version) and didn't enjoy it. But, having been intrigued by the style of the film, I decided to jump in and buy the DVD so I could watch it properly. I enjoyed the film thoroughly when I watched in its proper Cantonese/Japanese.

I also hate how dialogue is changed to accomodate a dub. When I see the Dimension "Fist of Legend" playing on Starz, I go insane hearing the completely altered dialogue in some parts. And what about Gorgeous? There were some great jokes in that film that were completely lost in the dubbed dialogue (and, unfortunately, also on the Columbia disc's "dubtitles" even if you watched the CTHV disc in Cantonese). Which is why, of course, I had to get the import - as those jokes are part of the enjoyment of the film.

Now, I won't avoid watching a movie if I have to watch it dubbed. As much as it pains me to watch a dubbed film, if it is the only way for me to see it - I'll watch it. I just have to remind myself that the dubs may be artificially adding a low quality feel to the film. Nonetheless, some films are still fairly enjoyable dubbed. For example, The Killer was entirely enjoyable and watchable dubbed. Certainly not as good as the original language, but enough that it still managed to become a favorite on my first viewing, even though that first viewing was of the dubbed version.

Anyone see Dimension's "City on Fire" release? Damn - its a pretty serious film that just sounds so goofy dubbed that it loses any of its effect.

Last edited by Klotera; 08-23-01 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-23-01, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you?
No. Sometimes I'll watch Supercop or First Strike dubbed when they're on tv, but never a dubbed DVD. Oh - & maybe sometimes a little Godzilla on AMC dubbed - but that's from my childhood.
Old 08-23-01, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Anime - yes - I'll listen to the dub usually unless it's unusually terrible... I mean - it's a cartoon, so the lips don't sync up all that great anyway typically.

HK Kung-Fu - depends... most of the time, NO. With Steven Chow, I listen to the original language always... I don't have a choice usually, but I assure you I would still always listen to the original language. Jet Li films - some (not alot) of them I prefer the dub. Jackie Chan films - he has been more likely to do his own dubs in english than do his own looping in Cantonese or Mandarin or whatever, so I like his dubs better. He has a distinctive voice and especially with Drunken Master 2 - the dub is superior to the original language. Most other films, I'm all about the subtitles. It's never that I'm too lazy to read subtitles.
Old 08-23-01, 11:59 PM
Cool New Member

guess that's the difference between "original language" fans and original-language-fans.

shame! shame!

the cat-bus-dealie has the right idea:

If the original language track is not there, we won't watch it.
Old 08-24-01, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
OK, I will make one exception. The horrific English dubs do enhance the camp value of a Godzilla movie!
Old 08-24-01, 10:55 AM

O.K. I've seen the light, and yes, the english dubs do sux. O.k. I've been converted. Although, I'm kinda used to the crappy dubs of the Shaw Brothers films, but I've never seen them any other way!

Thanks.
Old 08-24-01, 12:08 PM

Since I understand cantonese, I usually watch HK movies with no subs on. Otherwise, I do the same as Trigger: dubs for anime only.
Old 08-24-01, 01:33 PM
Cool New Member

not to get off-topic but.....

Don't you find that the voice-acting quality of the Japanese actors is loads better than their English counterparts? I'm not a sub-elitist, there *are* some darn good English dubs in the anime world, but I find they are few and far between. Frequently, the delivery of the English VAs seems totally off, and they sometimes try too hard to match the lip-flap in the animation, resulting in stilted and unintentionally-silly dialog. But all that is just my opinion. Whatever floats yer boat.

zipflint
Old 08-24-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: not to get off-topic but.....

Originally posted by zipflint
Don't you find that the voice-acting quality of the Japanese actors is loads better than their English counterparts?
zipflint
If you don't speak the language, how can you tell, though? I had no problem with CTHD, but I've heard from several people (including in this thread) that the delivery was pretty bad.
Old 08-24-01, 02:07 PM

If the dub sounds bad, I'll turn it off and watch it with subs. I've watched anime dubbed in cantonese and it ain't bad either. I agree that the Japanese are a lot better with voice-acting. For videogames, I prefer subs when possible. Onimusha had subs for the real-time cut-scenes but they were gone during the cg cut-scenes.
Old 08-24-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: not to get off-topic but.....

Originally posted by zipflint
Don't you find that the voice-acting quality of the Japanese actors is loads better than their English counterparts? I'm not a sub-elitist, there *are* some darn good English dubs in the anime world, but I find they are few and far between. Frequently, the delivery of the English VAs seems totally off, and they sometimes try too hard to match the lip-flap in the animation, resulting in stilted and unintentionally-silly dialog. But all that is just my opinion. Whatever floats yer boat.

zipflint
Yeah - there are some horrible dubs, but these are cartoons. The worst dubs seem to be attached to the animes where it doesn't matter much... Cowboy Bebop has a great dub. Angel Cop has a crappy dub - but it's a crappy anime, so it doesn't matter. I don't know where I was initially going with this... If the dub is especially bad, I'll watch the subs. As I said before - I have no problem reading.
Old 08-24-01, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always prefer the original language, be it Japanese anime, French films, Hong Kong, whatever. I guess it's because I prefer people selected by the creator to do the voices, rather than how someone thinks they need to adapt it so I understand it. Some movies, I think are not meant to be very comprehensible, like Branded to Kill, but I'm glad I watched it in its original language. I know a decent amount of Japanese, but that's beside the point.

IMHO, there is no such thing as a good dub. A dub by nature is the dumbing down/re-interpretation of acting, etc. Snoogins.
Old 08-24-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
I always prefer the original language, be it Japanese anime, French films, Hong Kong, whatever. I guess it's because I prefer people selected by the creator to do the voices, rather than how someone thinks they need to adapt it so I understand it. Some movies, I think are not meant to be very comprehensible, like Branded to Kill, but I'm glad I watched it in its original language. I know a decent amount of Japanese, but that's beside the point.

IMHO, there is no such thing as a good dub. A dub by nature is the dumbing down/re-interpretation of acting, etc. Snoogins.
That's interesting since with HK films, the actors don't often do their own looping - so in effect, they are dubs anyway. I prefer subs with HK films anyway because I like Cantonese and it seems to be a more accurate translation than the dubs typically.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.