Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GameCube letdown at Spaceworld?!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-23-01, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GameCubes's been delayed until Nov. 18th!!! Nintendo said they WOULDN'T push it back, and now this!! Plus, Zelda looks to be going to the little kids, what with the descriptions of it's cel-shading and all!! How could they go from a once-beautiful-looking video of Link vs. Ganondorf at E3 to this???? Then again, this was only a pre-show, so I suppose there's still hope . . . . .

I just feel so let down and betrayed by the change of Zelda; HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO US?? Also, what's with Star Fox's push-back to Dec.?? Hopefully, they'll come out with 2 Zelda's, one the way it was, and one cel-shaded . . . . . hopefully

Last edited by Chaos; 08-23-01 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-23-01, 11:47 AM

I'm VERY disappointed with what I've seen come out of Spaceworld so far.

First off, the launch delay doesn't really concern me much since I didn't plan to buy a GC at launch anyway. It also doesn't surprise me one bit--Nintendo's infamous for their delays. But for those planning to buy a GC on launch day, I don't think 2 weeks will matter too much.

What does shock me, though, is the videos I've seen for Mario and Zelda.

Yes, I know, it's early, but from what I could see, Mario didn't look like much more than Mario 64 on a different level. The graphics and animation looked like it was right out of Mario 64--and I'm not saying Mario 64 is a bad game, but it just had the been-there-done-that feel to it. If this is truly a sample of the next incarnation of Mario, it's hardly going to be the leap we got with Mario 64.

Zelda...<groan>. First off, I am *not* a fan of the cel-shaded look. Sure, it looks pretty, but I just don't like it in my videogames. That approach to Zelda was a huge blow for me, but on top of that, it looks like Link is a cousin to one of the Powerpuff girls or something. When I saw a video of Zelda was out there, I immediately thought back to those early Link demos and hoped this would be an expansion of that. Instead, it appears that Nintendo is regressing back to their please-the-kiddies days.

Anyone else feel seriously underwhelmed by what's coming out of Spaceworld so far?
Old 08-23-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't surprise me. There was only one good game on the N64 and it wasn't Zelda.

Heh.. people wonder why I'm thinking the XBox will be the next Dreamcast (in quality of games, hopefuly not that it dies quickly) With the PS2 sucking as bad as it does (minus GT3) and Nintendo's penchant for Pokemon and family safe games, hopefully the Microsoft system will shine out.

And considering that Jet Grind Radio 2 and Crazy Taxi 3 will be xbox only, (along with GUN VALKYRIE).. if I was dumb enough to actually buy one the next generation systems, it's have to be xbox..
Old 08-23-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Doesn't surprise me. There was only one good game on the N64 and it wasn't Zelda.

I wouldn't go so far as to say there was only 1 good game as there was twice as many as you name! I can recall 2 titles and only released on the N64 that were worth it. I also never understood how they could have the guts to release sub-par games at 85-130$when Sony's most expensive game was around 70$ around here.

Like he says, I'm thinking the Xbox will emerge on top since it actually has games for all ages.
Old 08-23-01, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's only a letdown because of the delay.
Old 08-23-01, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
I can recall 2 titles and only released on the N64 that were worth it.
I could say the same thing about the PSX, but that doesn't make my opinion any more "correct" than yours. Does every damn thread have to turn into console pissing match?
Old 08-23-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really care for one console or another. I care for quality games. And well.. nobody has really offered that in the last few years. Sega and the DC started to refire my faith in video games and they went down (probably for that reason).
Old 08-23-01, 02:51 PM

Where can I find the video of Zelda??
Old 08-23-01, 03:54 PM
Retired

The only thing I was dissapointed with was the look of Zelda. But it's the game play that matters, so I'll hold out judgement until I play. I think the new Mario game looks great.
Old 08-23-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chaos
Where can I find the video of Zelda??
Originally posted by Aghama:

Zelda - Talk about the ultimate bait & switch; a year ago they show us an incredible battle between Link and Ganondorf, and now they give us...this. Link looks just plain silly, and the game is a huge step backwards in terms of maturity. How many here actually enjoyed the young link more than the old in OoT?

Mario Sunshine - Wow! It's....Mario. Looks like Mario 64 with a facelift and an espresso maker on his back. No real gameplay shown here.

Metroid Prime - I still don't see how they're going to pull it off.
Sorry about the quote theft, Aghama, but I wasn't sure how to link to your post.
Old 08-23-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope the Zelda game is some kind of joke. Mario wasn't that impressive either.

I guess I will be saving a lot of money this christmas by not buying an Xbox or Gamecube. Hopefully 2002 will be better.
Old 08-25-01, 05:33 PM

Maybe Nintendo just stop having these conventions. hahahaha.