Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Interesting CDNow Shipping Information

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-01, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been pre-ordering DVDs from CDNow for quite some time using the 15% off coupons posted to this board.

When I organize my preorders, I like to make one order per paycheck (I get paid on the 15th and 30th of each month). So that means usually, thats two Tuesdays per pay period.

In all the time I have been doing this, CDNow has had a policy that they will not ship your order until the whole thing has been fulfilled (most of you should already know this), and in all the orders Ive placed with them, this rule has held true.

However, in early August I placed an order for Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Goonies, Gremlins, Forrest Gump and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Thats 6 movies. All 6 of those movies come out on 8/21, except Forrest and Klowns. I fully expected them not to ship them til the last week of August.

However, on 8/17, I got a "Your Order Has Been Shipped" email from CDNow saying that all the 8/21 movies have been shipped to my house.

I called CDNow's customer service because they have never shipped me a partial order and I wanted ot make sure they werent going to double charge me for shipping.

I talked to Jenny, and she explained to me that CDNow has a new policy that if you pre-order DVDs, they will make up to two shipments to you.

If you make an order and have some movies that are available at the time of your order, they will ship those out to you imediately, and then wait for all the rest of the movies to become available before shipping them.

BUT! If you place an order where none of the movies are currently available at the time of ordering (all pre-orders), they will make a shipment when the first become available, and then a second shipment when the rest become available.

I know this might not be that big of a deal, but to me it is. That means that they will do partial order shipments, so for those of you who pre-order multiple movies at a time, this makes CDNow, that much more appealing.

And on TOP of that, even though I selected standard shipping when I originally placed my order, they upgraded my shipping to UPS 2-3 day mail. So since these movies were all shipped on Friday, I should either recieve the package today, or tomorrow (day of release).

I hope I make sense and you all understand what Im trying to say here, but this is just one more reason that CDNow is the best place for pre-orders out there right now.
Old 08-20-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
That's why I am doing my September and October preorders in 2-week blocks (1 order for the 9/11 & 9/18 releases, another order for 9/25 & 10/2 releases and a 3rd order for 10/9 & 10/16 releases). It costs more for shipping (around $10) doing it in this fashion, but I know I'll get everything on time (and before the Tuesday release dates).
Old 08-21-01, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info Mike.