Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Spartacus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-01, 04:38 PM
WaD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spartacus?

I already have the Universal dvd but am considering getting the Criterion version. It is one of my all-time favortite movies, and I do find the extras somewhat interesting from what I have read.

But I have read that, essentially, the movie content and technical qualities are about the same in both versions.

Would someone who is familiar with both versions please advise me if it really is worthwhile to pop for the bucks to buy the Criterion version too?

thanks.
Old 08-19-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only seen the Criterion but I think the other is bare bones. The Criterion has audio commentary and a 2nd disc of extras.
Old 08-19-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SPARTACUS.

Stanley Kubrick's epic film of one man's journey to freedom from slavery. Fighting as a gladiator, to leading a revolt, this film keeps you entertained from beginning to end. Whether the length of the film may turn you, in the end, you will be happily entertained at the marvelous acting, cinematagrophy and battle scene.

SPARTACUS (Universal Release).

MOVIE: 9/10
AUDIO:7/10
VIDEO: 7/10
EXTRAS: N/A

SPARTACUS (Criterion Collection).

MOVIE: 9/10
AUDIO: 8.5/10
VIDEO: 9/10
EXTRAS: 9/10

I usually don't speak about the extras, feeling that the numbers speak for themselves. But since this is a comparison, I will rightfully explain the different between the two.

The audio on the new Criterion Collection fo Spartacus is large different fromt the original Universal release. Though they are both DD 5.1, the Universal release felt more like a DD Mono. The new Criterion Collection adds more base and seperation in sounds. More loud and thicker than the original release.

As for the video. The orignal one contained a few scars, as you might see in a theatrical release. Though the film had been remastered, the color of it was a bit off balance and wasn't true to the director's intention. The new video on the Criterion Collection has be re-remastered to fit director Stanley Kubrick's intention. Seens are more vivid looking and bold, and a real improvement (as you will see in many scenes) over past version.

Last but not least is the extras. No real reason to explain, but I will do so. As you know the original Universal Release was empty of extras. The new Criterion Collection is a jam-packed double-disc set. It features a documentaries, audio commentary by actor and producer (done in 93 before K. Douglas's stroke) and scene-by-scene analysis by the screenwriter. Tons of promotional material and much, much more.

Overall, an upgrade to the Criterion Collection is a must. Very much worth the $35-40.
Old 08-19-01, 11:20 PM
WaD

Thanks for the comments about Spartacus.

Part of my confusion was that both were remastered and had 5.1 sound. So, it would SEEM that they would have similar technical quality. I guess not.

(how can you pass on seeing one of the biggest epics in all its glory?)

thanks again.
Old 08-20-01, 07:02 AM

Definitely get the Criterion! I think the video is much improved as the colors are livelier, the wide shots have so much more detailed and the audio mix has more resolution and action to it! You won't regret it!

David
Old 08-20-01, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... interestingly enough, in the posts above no-one mentioned the not-unimportant fact that the original DVD release of Spartacus was letterboxed only, whereas the Criterion release sports an anamorphic transfer...

...strange...

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=1644

. . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 08-20-01 at 08:47 AM.