Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

review wanted: Bride of the re-animator

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-19-01, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the orignal, but have never seen the sequel. i saw this on amazon with preety good extras but have heard the film is inferior to the orignal. is it a good movie worth getting??
Old 08-19-01, 03:44 PM

Bride of the re-animator isn't in the same league as re-animator as a horror film. The reality is that Bride was trying to follow one if the greatist horror films ever made, and it does suffer in comparison. On it's own, Bride is a fun ride and well worth a purchase for a horror fan. Bride is loaded with gore, and is funny and offers a few scares. The characters are even more over the top than in the original, and Herbert West is perfect yet again. I personally like the film, and have no problem in reccommending Bride of the Re-Animator.

The DVD has it's ups and downs. The good news: The DVD offers both the unrated and rated versions, the deleted Meg scene(which is well worth watching), the standard behind the scenes and gag reel, and a great commentary track. There is both Widescreen and Full screen formats(The full screen is open matte, and the widescreen bars disappear off the screen when useing fast forward ect.). The so-so news: The transfer could have been better. The colors seem to be a bit off at times, and there is some grain in some scenes. The audio is average, with the music and affects comming through well, while dialogue sounding sometimes thin. All in all well worth the money, considering the fact that we most likely won't see another edition for some time.

Out Of 4 Stars:
Film: Re-animator-****

Film: Bride of the Re-animator-***
Transfer-**1/2
Audio-***
Extras-***
Overall-***
Old 08-20-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Bride as much as I liked From Beyond. It's worth it if you re-animator and you find bride for a good deal.
Old 08-23-01, 04:37 AM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Personally, I would rank Bride third well below From Beyond (which I like almost as much as Re-Animator). I was extremely disappointed with it upon my first viewing years ago but I had high expectations at the time. I enjoyed it when I recently gave it a second chance and ending up using a GC to purchase it.

My advice: Definitely see it but rent it or get it cheap. It's fun but this isn't one of those sequels you're guaranteed to like just because you loved the original.
Old 08-23-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll just chime in as another fan who ranks From Beyond right (barely) below Re-Animator, and Bride as considerably less, but still fun to watch Jeffery Combs chew the scenery. Bride is more of a fan movie, it will always be under the shadow of Re-Animator, and not too worthwhile without the connection.
Old 08-23-01, 06:09 PM
Banned

Is Bride of Re-Animator better than the original? Some people think it is. Not my case.

Is Bride of Re-Animator a good movie? Yes, it is.

Is the Bride of Re-Animator DVD a good purchase? Yes, it is.
Old 08-24-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally posted by AJP
Personally, I would rank Bride third well below From Beyond (which I like almost as much as Re-Animator). I was extremely disappointed with it upon my first viewing years ago but I had high expectations at the time. I enjoyed it when I recently gave it a second chance and ending up using a GC to purchase it.

My advice: Definitely see it but rent it or get it cheap. It's fun but this isn't one of those sequels you're guaranteed to like just because you loved the original.
Pretty much what happened to me, upon first viewing I did not think it was all that great. But the days of DVD coupons gave me the chance to pick it up real cheap. The second time I watched it, I enjoyed it a lot better. Give it a couple of viewings and it will grow on you.