Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

MALATA N996 owners! READ!!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-01, 03:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I need some help. I have a new 47" Panasonic HDTV which my Malataplayer is hooked up to and I have been having a problem. Using COMPONENT cables, via 480i or 480p, some objects will bleed or streak to the right. Say the DTS logo from the trailer or yellow subtitles. I thought it was my TV, but I decided to see if it was my player.

I just went to SEARS and the MALATA exhibits the STREAKING problem on the floor model Panasonic 47". It also does it on the version with the contrast screen.

But it does NOT do the streaking on the new 43" Sony HDTV or the 36" Wega! Needless to say, this makes no sense.

I really need the Malata owners that have RP HDTV's to check the following DVD's for me, using COMPONET cables in either 480i or 480p. S-Video does not exhibit this problem. 480p mode makes the streaking very clear...

In particular, check out the DTS Trailer from T2 (it's also on Shiri & many other titles). The Blue part will streak to the right on my TV. Just pause it when the logo is about finished. It's clear as day on my screen.

The opening credits from SUPERMAN streak to the right. Once each credit goes into focus, the streaking is visible.

On PRINCESS MONONOKE, play it with Japanese & English subtitles. The opening Yellow title and some subtitles will streak to the right.

I need to know if this is an issue of player & TV incompatibility, or that my player is somehow screwed up and replacing it will solve my problem.

Thanks
Old 08-17-01, 09:17 PM

I'm not experiencing this problem with my Malata connected with my Wega XBR400 using component cables. I have no idea why the Wegas would be immune or what would cause the problem with other brands.

Sorry.
Old 08-17-01, 10:31 PM

I finally nailed down the problem. When an S-Video cable is also plugged into the Malata, it causes interference. Pulled it out and presto, no more streaking. Bloody incredible. Right in front of me the entire time.

Now I need to deal with the disaster the Sears Service guy left me. My set is so out of whack now that I fear I will need it ISF'd to fix.
Old 08-18-01, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Matt Stevens,

You sir, are a scientist.
Old 08-18-01, 02:40 PM

matt try this website, http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...ubb=forum&f=59 and let me know what your problems are, i can try and help you fix them, i have beena tv tweaker for wuite sometimes and may be able to help you.
Old 08-18-01, 04:21 PM

Jepthah said:

Matt Stevens, you are a scientist!
Yeah, well, I'm also a pain in Sears' ass. They are replacing my Panasonic, no questions asked, after I told them what happened with the Tech. We'll see what happens when the new set comes in.
Old 08-19-01, 12:02 AM

Matt would you mind answerring a few questions for me, I plan on buying the Malata player Monday but would like to get a few things clarified first

1) Are PAL dvds output at 480progressive?
1a) how do the PAL dvds look in 480p?

2)You mentioned that on this plaer you could adjust the height and width of the image, using this scaler can you take off the overscan, bu that i mean can you make the image small enough that none is cut off on the sides?

thanks for your help.
Old 08-19-01, 09:32 AM

Answers...

1.) They sure are. My TV is locked into Full mode, so that means the signal is progressive. If it was Interlaced, I could switch the aspect ratio to Zoom or 4:3. Another reason why the Malata is cool, because it can defeat the TV's Full lock mode by playing non-anamorphic DVD correctly.

1a.) Better than interlaced. Seriously, they looks terrific. The thing to remember is that the older titles, like Drunken Master and Way of the Dragon will never look as good as newer titles like Armour Of God or brand new films like Gladiatior.

2.) Absolutely. You can zoom in and out to your heart's content. It's an incredible feature and very handy for the cropped titles like DRUNKEN MASTER. 1.78:1 with no overscan is better than 1.78:1 with overscan.

It's also nice if you have a brand new 16x9 RPTV, as you can zoom 2.35:1 titles to 1.85:1 while the set is breaking in. It's not good to have black bars for pro-longed periods during the first 100 hours of operation, as the CRT's can be burned. If you spend 2 or 3 grand on a TV, you want to make sure it's going to last a long time.
Old 08-25-01, 07:20 AM

Last night, I was fooling around with the Malata 996 player and in the "expert" menu, I chose "progressive scan" instead of the "interlaced" feature. However, after doing so, the TV locks up and there is no picture. I checked all of the input/outputs, but they were fine. I checked my TV again and found that it was not a progressive scan model. I have a Toshiba HDTV. I can't even see the regular Malata default menu when you power the player on. Can anyone help? Is there any way to reset the default settings on the Malata? Help!
Old 08-25-01, 08:53 AM

someone wit a malata should be able to go through the procedure and write down the steps for you, if someone hasnt done it by wed ill do it for you, i dont have mine yet or i would help.
Old 08-25-01, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by TekTicker
Is there any way to reset the default settings on the Malata?
Have you tried disconnecting & reconnecting the player's power source?
Old 08-25-01, 03:24 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help. I tried everything possible and nothing is happening. I powered off the power, took everything apart and rewired everything, but I still can't see the regular display. If someone has free time on their hands, I would really appreciate it if you guys could record down the steps and keys to push to switch back to "interlaced" that would be great. There's got to be a way to reset everything to default.
Old 08-25-01, 03:47 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help. I tried everything possible and nothing is happening. I powered off the power, took everything apart and rewired everything, but I still can't see the regular display. If someone has free time on their hands, I would really appreciate it if you guys could record down the steps and keys to push to switch back to "interlaced" that would be great. There's got to be a way to reset everything to default.

Try this.

With the dvd player on... (and the tv on so hopefully you will see something when the pic comes back)

On the remote hold down the "subpicture" button down for 3 or 4 seconds. THis should switch you back to interlaced. Holding it down again would put you back to progressive.

Hope this helps

T
Old 08-25-01, 05:56 PM

Yes, that should work -- I did the same thing myself and was freaking out. This is actually in the manual, believe it or not.
Old 08-25-01, 06:40 PM

I just tried this myself and it does work.

Now I have a question.

My tv is a 36" Tau. Shouldn't I be watching a dvd in "progressive" mode? I just get artifact when I try to do that. The only image I get is when I choose "interlaced".
Old 08-25-01, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by late_but_earnest
My tv is a 36" Tau. Shouldn't I be watching a dvd in "progressive" mode? I just get artifact when I try to do that. The only image I get is when I choose "interlaced".
If your TV will handle progressive input, then use "progressive" mode. If it doesn't, then use "interlaced" output. It sounds like your TV isn't progressive.
Old 08-25-01, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by nekobus

If your TV will handle progressive input, then use "progressive" mode. If it doesn't, then use "interlaced" output. It sounds like your TV isn't progressive.
Hmm... It's an hdtv ready tv. I sure thought it was progressive when I bought it. Guess I'll call my dealer.
Old 08-26-01, 01:03 AM

Hey guys,

I almost crapped my pants after a day and a half trying to fix this progressive scan stuff. I finally tried holding the "subpicture" for a few seconds so that it would convert automatically back to the "interlaced" feature. The other thing you can do is keep depressing the "angle" button as it will also switch your interlaced signals. My TV is an HDTV Ready and it doesn't have progressive scan.
Old 08-26-01, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
late_but_ernest,

The Tau sets DO work with progressive scan DVD players. (At least my 32 inch Tau does with my Toshiba 6200.) Are you sure you have set connected correctly? You probably already know that it must be hooked up through the component cables. Well, just a guess. Let me know what you find out. I was seriously thinking of buying a Malata to pair up with my Tau, but if there is some problem with displaying a progressive picture, I won't buy.

(Early model DVD players do not work correctly with the Tau because they failed to send some sort of electronic identification (I forget the what it's called) to the set and the 16 x 9 "squeeze" function would not work. I'm wondering if the Malata has some sort of "early" or "different" circuitry that does not work with the Tau.)
Old 08-26-01, 09:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Franchot
[B] Are you sure you have set connected correctly? You probably already know that it must be hooked up through the component cables. Well, just a guess. Let me know what you find out.

I reread the Malata manual several times last night and it looks like I screwed up the connection. I hooked it up just like my regular dvd player with optical cable and s-vhs. It looks like I should have used "YPbPr" for my progressive scan output. I'm not sure if I can use digital coax for this. I'll have time to think this out tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-27-01, 10:24 PM

You need component out to the 480p TV, with NO S-VIDEO CABLE attached at the same time! If two different types of cables are attached to a 480p machine, picture quality will be distorted and cause shimmer and streaks.

Make sure you pick Progressive in the main menu.
Old 08-30-01, 08:37 PM

Well I picked up my component cable today and hooked my Malata up to my Tau.

I got a blank screen.

I called the dealer that I bought the Tau from and He suggested that I look for a component video input switch on the tv.

He didn't know where it was though.

I couldn't find it on the remote and after a couple hours of screwing around I found it on the front of the tv.

I switched the malata to progressive, chose the correct video mode and voila!

I had pizza!

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Old 08-31-01, 01:58 PM

When I start a dvd, it makes echoing vibrating noises for the first 10 seconds and then goes to normal. It does this when I fast forward , rewind, press the menu button, press play, pause and anytime at all that I interrupt playback. The actors voice's are warped & vibrating for the first 10 seconds every time. You can't make out at all what they are saying. Same goes when I push the menu button. The menu music comes up for the first 10 seconds doing the same thing. I've tried 3 region 1 discs & 4 region 5 discs.... same problem. What should I do?
Old 09-02-01, 09:08 AM

I would call AVDeals and see about getting it
replaced. They are good about that. I've had
mine for two weeks and it exhibits none of
those problems. Also, if you have the region 0
model, try manually changing to that exact
region code instead of leaving it at 0 to see
if it still exhibits those problems.
Old 09-07-01, 05:49 PM

Hey guys,

I almost crapped my pants after a day and a half trying to fix this progressive scan stuff. I finally tried holding the "subpicture" for a few seconds so that it would convert automatically back to the "interlaced" feature. The other thing you can do is keep depressing the "angle" button as it will also switch your interlaced signals. My TV is an HDTV Ready and it doesn't have progressive scan.
Phew ! Thanks for your post, I just did the "subpicture" trick to undo my invalid progressive scan selection.

Jim