Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Suspiria Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-01, 11:17 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspiria Review

Horrordvds has put up there review of the Suspiria LE. I've never seen the movie, but as a fan of good horror this sounds like a must-buy. Here's the link:

http://horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/suspiria-lmtd/
Old 08-17-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never seen it either. But a friend of mine, who knows more about movies than anyone I know, really likes it. I'm told it has at least one horrifying scene that is not to be forgotten.

I will be giving this a try. Oh, my poor credit card.
Old 08-17-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

By the way: Is this in the right forum? Maybe it should be under "Reviews"? Not that it matters to me though.

Old 08-17-01, 03:57 PM
Banned

buy it and watch it several times. i heard all the hype, saw it, and was like 'whoa was that good?' a few years later and it's easily my favourite argento, my favourite italian horror, and one of my favourite horror movies all around. despite argento's plentiful faults, he's also a master of many things. recommended highly, especially with a nice transfer
Old 08-17-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's not unreasonable to include Suspiria among the top 10 horror films of the '70'. And if you know anything about the quality of '70's horror movies, that's saying a mouthful.
Old 09-10-01, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just read the review at DVD Review, and was moderately intrigued. Worth a try folks?
Old 09-10-01, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
A few friends vouch for the flick so I've just ordered it from DeepDiscountDVD for $27 shipped on the Special Edition. Best Buy has it for $28 plus tax.
Old 09-12-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome! I had never seen it either before buying the 3 disc set. The story isn't the best and the ending is weak, but the visuals and atmosphere more than make up for it. Turn out the lights and watch the first 15 minutes at around midninght. Creepy stuff!
Old 09-17-01, 08:03 PM

Does anyone know if the documentary has either the option of closed captions or subtitles?
Old 09-17-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got my copy today. I noticed the lobby card reproductions all have the top edge cut off slightly. Is everyone's copy this way?

I think they may have done that so someone couldn't make counterfeit copies. Whaddyathink?
Old 09-18-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Boy did they do a job on that soundtrack! But is that a good thing?

I compared the opening murder scene on my uncut vhs with the DVD and was suprised. On the vhs the music just pops in a full volume and stays that way, even before the killer attacks. But, on the DVD it kind of slowly builds before jumping out at you when the girl is attacked. I cant really say I like the remastering though. You see, although it may sound like a better idea, to have the music build up and then hit you at the same time as the visual shock...actually having the music at full volume the enitire time is a bit more unsettling to me, because it makes the tension constant and the visual shock still has the appropriate effect without a strong music cue.

Dont get me wrong, I'm thankful mostly for the job they did on the DVD but...Guess I wont be selling my vhs.
Old 10-19-01, 07:36 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I watched Suspiria last night and anticipated a real "horror movie". There was gore, but very little horror or suspense for me. I found the blood unrealistic looking, way too thick to be fresh, and that was distracting. And the "horrific" events occurred too quickly to build up real suspense.

Am I just too jaded here? I will say I did recently get creeped out by the B&W Horror Hotel so I guess I still have that ability left in me. But fake blood and gore with a weak storyline just doesn't seem to do it for me. Overall I found the movie very weak and I'm sorry I wasted my time and money. But really glad I didn't buy the LE! Am I missing something here?
Old 10-19-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by X
I watched Suspiria last night and anticipated a real "horror movie". There was gore, but very little horror or suspense for me. I found the blood unrealistic looking, way too thick to be fresh, and that was distracting. And the "horrific" events occurred too quickly to build up real suspense.

Am I just too jaded here? I will say I did recently get creeped out by the B&W Horror Hotel so I guess I still have that ability left in me. But fake blood and gore with a weak storyline just doesn't seem to do it for me. Overall I found the movie very weak and I'm sorry I wasted my time and money. But really glad I didn't buy the LE! Am I missing something here?
Argento films are an acquired taste. Style over substance is his what he's known for. Suspiria was an enjoyable film, but one whose release seems to have been overhyped.

BTW, for those who are interested, you can watch Suspiria online for fee (or free) at LikeTelevision.com as well as Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Return of the Living Dead III at cinemanow.com. along with Killer
Old 10-24-01, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by X

I am with you on Suspiria. I bought it with all the hype, have not seen it before and I am disappointed after watching it. I wasted time and money. I am glad I did not buy the LE, and I guess I trade it in at the Wherehouse on Tuesday.
Old 10-27-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sracer

BTW, for those who are interested, you can watch Suspiria online for fee (or free) at LikeTelevision.com as well as Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Return of the Living Dead III at cinemanow.com. along with Killer
Isn't there a fee for this? How is it free?
Old 10-28-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by X

I actually liked Suspiria (but not Inferno) but as others have suggested, more for the style (art direction/cinematography/use of colors etc...) than the actual suspense/horror factor. As others have said, I think Argento films are an acquired taste. That said, I've stopped making impulse buys after reading praise from "fans" after I got burned by The Beyond.
Old 10-28-01, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris

I actually liked Suspiria (but not Inferno) but as others have suggested, more for the style (art direction/cinematography/use of colors etc...) than the actual suspense/horror factor. As others have said, I think Argento films are an acquired taste. That said, I've stopped making impulse buys after reading praise from "fans" after I got burned by The Beyond.
The "fans" are in quotes huh? LOL. Yes, it is very easy to get burned on a Argento or Fulci DVD purchase by reading the reviews by the "fans" at sites like Amazon.com. It's amazing how people hand out 5 star reviews of these Italian horror films like they are giving out candy on halloween.

I got a kick out of this review of the "classic" The Beyond / Seven Doors of Death DVD:

I bought this movie based solely on the reviews at Amazon and am dumfounded and astonished that a "Classic" five star rating was used so liberally by so many to describe this movie! I won't go into the plot since it's been recapitulated many times in previous reviews. I couldn't wait to see this movie thinking it was a zombie feature along the lines of "Dawn of the Dead" but as I was falling asleep 15 minutes into this banal production, I knew I had been duped! There is not a single moment of building anticipation in the first three quarters of the movie(with the exception of a "zombie dog" that provides a much needed moment of shock). I like gore as much as the next horror fan, but being sanguineous for the sake of being sanguineous didn't scare me--it just made me nauseous(i.e. The never ending spider attack and the eternally long face-burned-with-acid scene come to mind).
The"zombies" finally show up the last 20 minutes of the movie, about a dozen of them, and they are so listless and slow a two year old baby could have out fought and out run every one of them! I implore you to save your money and stay away from this over-hyped disaster!

Last edited by namlook; 10-28-01 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-30-01, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by eXcentris

That said, I've stopped making impulse buys after reading praise from "fans" after I got burned by The Beyond.
Wow - I'm not the only one!

I was on a very short Italian horror bender after seeing most of Suspiria, which I really loved. So I just had to pick up The Beyond (and the tin, to boot).

Oops.

There was none of the style, none of the suspense that Suspiria had. I would list the ways in which this film assaulted by aesthetic sensibilites, but I'm just plain lazy. Total camp is the only way to put it, but it's not even enjoyable camp (as I imagine Nightmare City would be).

But I'm keeping it lest I change my mind...

Just picked up the Suspiria LE today, and I'll add something when I watch it.
Old 10-31-01, 11:25 AM

Most of those films are an aquired taste, babycakes. I recall seeing DEMONS in the theater and just wondering, "What the fu..." and then, some years later it was the most watched flick on my VCR.
Zombie won me over right when the credits hit the screen - it was just so rare, back then to see such gory films with such realistic special effects.
Suspiria's effects are good, but you're talking about a time when gore effects were in their infancy.
I was a little disappointed with Suspiria when I first saw it in 1989 but I realize it for the classic film art that it is and own several versions on laserdisc, VHS and now DVD. Not for all tastes, but what movies are?