Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 10 reasons why the Gamecube will/could fail.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-01, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Fisher Price sues Gamecube for stealing there design.
2) Only 5 launch games
3) Special discs are going to cost more then a regular cd/dvd disc and the cost of games will increase.
4) Out of the 5 games, only 1 is actually good.
5) Target audience, granted children may love it, nintendo needs to broden the target age to older kids.
6) No dvd drive, the panasonic wont be released for a while and will be costing the same amount as a PS2 and X-Box.
7) What happened to Zelda and Metroid? If they released one of those titles with the system it would slaughter half the competition, but they decided not to.
8 ) No backwards compatability
9) The N64, Dreamcast has the same amount of games, were cheaper and has been out half the time, those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
10) The controller, whos stupid idea was it to make each button a differnt size?
Old 08-16-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, there are a lot more than 5 games for launch....and a bunch of them rock.... not to mention SSX:Tricky will be out in November as well.

The US Nintendo GameCube Launch Lineup

Qty
Title
Publisher
Date
MSRP

GameCube Console
Nintendo
11/05/01
$199.95

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Nintendo
11/05/01
$49.95

Luigi's Mansion
Nintendo
11/05/01
$49.95

Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet
Nintendo
11/05/01
$49.95

Wave Race: Blue Storm
Nintendo
11/05/01
$49.95

NBA Courtside 2002
Nintendo
11/05/01
$49.95

Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue
Squadron 2
LucasArts
11/05/01
$49.95

Super Monkey Ball
Sega
11/05/01
$49.95

Madden NFL 2002
EA
11/05/01
$49.95

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Acclaim
11/05/01
$49.95

Extreme G 3
Acclaim
11/05/01
$49.95

All-Star Baseball 2002
Acclaim
11/05/01
$49.95

NFL Quarterback Club 2002
Acclaim
11/05/01
$49.95

Crazy Taxi
Acclaim
11/05/01
$49.95

NFL Blitz 2002
Midway
11/05/01
$49.95

NHL Hitz 2002
Midway
11/05/01
$49.95

Batman Dark Tomorrow
Kemco
11/05/01
$49.95

Universal Studios
Old 08-16-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Top 10 reasons why the Gamecube will/could fail.

I must be bored...

Har har.

2) Only 5 launch games
Uh, say what? There are 6 1st/2nd party launch titles, and almost a dozen 3rd.

3) Special discs are going to cost more then a regular cd/dvd disc and the cost of games will increase.
$49.99 just like every other system.

Personal opinion and irrelevent (see 2)

5) Target audience, granted children may love it, nintendo needs to broden the target age to older kids.
They're raking in the dough with their target audience.

6) No dvd drive, the panasonic wont be released for a while and will be costing the same amount as a PS2 and X-Box.
So if you want a DVD player, buy one.

7) What happened to Zelda and Metroid? If they released one of those titles with the system it would slaughter half the competition, but they decided not to.
Just like Sony "decided not" to release MGS2 and GT3 at launch? They're not finished, dude.

Questionable importance.

9) The N64, Dreamcast has the same amount of games, were cheaper and has been out half the time, those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
No idea what this means.

10) The controller, whos stupid idea was it to make each button a differnt size?
I haven't used it yet, and I would guess neither have you. I'm not making any calls on the buttons until it's in my hands.
Old 08-16-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1) That's funny
2)Wrong. I believe it's at least 15
3)Price will not increase for games. The special discs might actually wind up costing less in the future, due to lack of piracy.
4)Yeah, I have 5 games preordered, and about 4 more on my want list...they seem pretty good to me.
5)I'd prefer a fun Mario game than a sh*tty bloody FPS
6)If it's a game system, why do you need a DVD drive?
7)Metroid is due out soon after launch, and a Zelda is in the works. Nintendo will NOT disappoint this time.
8)So? The only system to ever offer that was the PS2(maybe Atari?). It's not a big deal. And do you really wanna pay $60-$80 more dollars just to have NoA install a cart drive?
9)N64 was doomed from Day 1. Dreamcast should be a thriving system, but SEGA pulled the plug.
10)The buttons being a different size...does it really matter?
Old 08-16-01, 11:42 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoa, is your list incredibly wrong! Let me have a shot at this...

Whatever, the Game Cube looks cool. Very small, very sleek.

2) Only 5 launch games
I don't know where you get your information from, but you're wrong. Look for a great selection on launch day.

No they won't. This isn't a concern of anyone at this time, as Nintendo is now on a level field with prices.

I don't know what you consider good or not good, but I certainly disagree (and it's more than 5 games!).

I don't think Nintendo needs to do anything, that they haven't already taken steps to do. They are #1 in software, and I doubt your recommendation would go over too well.

Who cares? This seems to help them, more than it hurts them. A DVD player needs DVDs, and that could potentially take money away from game software (look at Japan and the PS2). Nintendo is the last ones left that still make video game consoles, opting not to follow the path of set-top boxes.

How often does Nintendo release a system with either of those titles? Just the fact that Nintendo has games like Zelda and Metroid exclusively will sell a ton of systems on its own, and the killer games at launch will do a good enough job at destroying competition.

8) No backwards compatability
No cartridges... What's your point? No one buys systems simply for that. Its just an added bonus, people want new software.

If you want to learn history, look at the original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and yes the Nintendo 64! Nintendo ALMOST has a flawless track record in the U.S. (that damned Virtual Boy! ). Game Cube will just further their great line of successes.

Well, Nintendo has always cared about their controllers and how it fits in the hands. I still believe the N64 has the best controller ever, so I am a bit skeptical on whether the GC controller can top it. Rest assured that the button differences and such were not for cosmetic reasons. The controller supposedly is the most ergonomically advanced of any ever know. The button placement and design is there, so the user never has to think about what button to press next, because the placement is supposed to be based off instinct. All that have played it (even those that hate Nintendo with a passion) say that the thing just melts in your hands. Gotta love the big N...

Last edited by IIG; 08-16-01 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-16-01, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actually using the "cube" design is more of an Apple idea.
Kudos to this design for being a compact, space-saving and portable unit. Japanese

2) Only 5 launch games
Not true. There are even more games that haven't been annouced, but may be pushed along for release day.

Not totally true this is a standard format (minidvd), which you can even buy DVD-rs of this size for relatively the same price as the regular DVD-rs. It's Nintendo's liscensing that will keep the prices at a competative level.

Luigi's Mansion is destined to be stellar. As well as Star Wars and many others. There are even a few tried and true games like Dave Mirra and Crazy Taxi.

Nintendo targets children, but most Nintendo Fans are ADULTS- the ones that grew up with Nintendo. If your company has already millions of adult fans, would you continue to target them, or would you expand to a different market (children). Nintendo experimented with targeting a mature audience and it failed misserably (conker).

This is a gaming machine and will be $100 less than PS2 and X-box. Take you $100 down to K-Mart and buy a DVD player with no remote.

Luigis mansion and Star wars are of equal caliber

Few systems have had backwards compatability.

The N64 is one of the most popular video game systems of all time. The Dreamcast lost due to piracy and Sega's reputation.

Who's stupid idea was it to make each of your fingers a different size?
Old 08-16-01, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Instead of repeating what the previous posters said to defend GameCube, why not try adding a few more possible reasons why GameCube COULD fail (just to note, I don't think it will even though I'm not a fan of Nintendo or most of its games).

- PS2 has been released for just less than a year and may have taken a large % of the market

- Dreamcast's low price may have attracted potential GameCube buyers

- Lack of major 3rd party support (in that most of the highest selling games come straight from Nintendo)

- (controversial I know, but these are possible reasons...) Special discs discourage copying of games

- No Squaresoft
Old 08-16-01, 02:53 PM

Here are some ligit reasons I think the gamecube could fail (keep in mind I'm an avid Nintendo fan):

1. Product appearance. This may sound stupid, but there are thousands of people out there that will not buy a product based on how it looks. The GameCube does not scream "advanced technology" The controllers do look like fisher-price toys. As Nintendo users we know the dedication Nintendo puts into designing the most useful and confortable controllers, but when you've got millions of uninformed kids and their parents looking at the Sunday paper flyers- they are bound to be attracted by the sleeker looking X-box and its visually appealing controller (although I heard thay are terrible). In a sense, putting a handle on the Game-Cube may in fact kill it.

2. Lack of 3rd party support. After the troubles developing for N64, many 3rd party developers are reluctant to beging GC design. They are watching for a strong release before they commit to anything. By then there will be gaps in the releases, as with the N64. Despite the relative ease for GC development, companies that were left in the dark with the N64, may hold a grudge. Combine that with the fact that Nintendo is so short on Development Kits, that many developers that want to develope for GC cannot. the Majority of the 3rd party kits were released no more than 6 months ago. Not enough time to get a game ready for GC launch or Christmas season.

3."Quick Death of N64" Even though the N64 was one of the most popular game systems of all time, It has a reputation of getting killed off at an early age. It's life span was in fact - average. Unfortunately with next-generation systems being released at shorter intervals, it seems as though one system cannot last as long as the NES or SNES did long ago. The reputation of the N64 short life may hurt GC sales.

4. Adversiting. Nintendo doesn't have the adversising budget that Microsoft or Sony has. Even though hardcore games don't need TV commercials to sell them a game, the majority does. Yes, millions of little Timmy Idiots rushed out to the local store to buy Siphon Filter rather than Perfect Dark because of the advertisements.
Old 08-16-01, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
Old 08-16-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
tsk tsk tsk...

Filmjester I dont wanna go off on a rant here but.... the so called DOOMED systems you mentioend in your post I own, and have a wide selection in both libraries. If you had gone to E3 this year would have had a chance to play (partially my opinion, and the opinion of a Sony rep.) THE best damn games in the entire show. Controllers are always hard to get used to I remember when I first saw the DC controller I didnt like it but after 40 rounds of SoulCalibur I got used to it. The N64 controller odd yes...but an hour into Mario Kart 64(which rocks by the way) I was racing like there was no tomorrow.

The Gamecube controller granted does look odd but when I got the chance to play Super Smash Bros. Melee (*droooool*) I fell in love with Nintendo all over again. Since your so ill informed im sure you DIDNT know that the GameBoy Advance also DOUBLES AS A GAMECUBE CONTROLLER. Ok so theres no backwards compatability big deal thats what the GBA is for. If I may qoute Finch from American Pie 2..."How did you do that magic?" I can't change your mind, or your heart and if you wanna keep sitting there with your over-priced dvd player that can play psx/ps2/dvd movies...be my guest. But the rest of us who KNOW how much this system will rock, and to those who are hardcore come NOV 5 2001 we will be playing.....(drum roll pleae...)

Old 08-16-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...not done

Old 08-16-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

4. Adversiting. Nintendo doesn't have the adversising budget that Microsoft or Sony has. Even though hardcore games don't need TV commercials to sell them a game, the majority does. Yes, millions of little Timmy Idiots rushed out to the local store to buy Siphon Filter rather than Perfect Dark because of the advertisements.
Sources of this preposterous assumption???? We all know that the Xbox is launching with 500 million in advertising dollars. That's huge compared to the 100 million that Sega invested with the Dreamcast. But no where has Nintendo even mentioned a $$ figure on what their advertising budget will be. Until that happens, you can't say they "don't have the advertising budget that Sony or Microsoft has". That's just an inane and ridiculous assumption.
Old 08-16-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...on the horizon

Mickey for GameCube

Batman: Dark Tomorrow

Filmjester-"5) Target audience, granted children may love it, nintendo needs to broden the target age to older kids.
"

I think not...

Another random post from your friendly neighborhood zero
Old 08-16-01, 05:51 PM

It'll fail simply because they will follow in the N64's steps and release 1 good game per year for the first 4 years of the system's release and the rest will all be horrid.
Old 08-16-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1 good Nintendo game per year is worth it alone

There are at least 6 already that look incredible and that's without considering Zelda and Metroid.
Old 08-16-01, 07:11 PM
Banned

I went to E3 and played the Gamecube, the X-Box and the Gameboy advance, the controller is horrid, differnt button sizes make it difficult for quick attacks.
E3 only had 5 games playable, I assumed, and apparently is wrong, that there are more.
The dvd drive is important to a lot of fans becuase they figure if the system fails, at least they got a dvd player. I am not Anti-Nintendo or Gamecube, I have a GBA and its great! I am a huge Nintendo fan, its just with the last system and by the way things are looking they need to make some changes fast.
P.S. Metroid looks amazing.
Old 08-16-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17
Sources of this preposterous assumption???? We all know that the Xbox is launching with 500 million in advertising dollars. That's huge compared to the 100 million that Sega invested with the Dreamcast. But no where has Nintendo even mentioned a $$ figure on what their advertising budget will be. Until that happens, you can't say they "don't have the advertising budget that Sony or Microsoft has". That's just an inane and ridiculous assumption.
The number I've heard was around $400 million by end of 2002, but I believe that includes GBA.
Old 08-16-01, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[QOUTE]I went to E3 and played the Gamecube, the X-Box and the Gameboy advance, the controller is horrid, differnt button sizes make it difficult for quick attacks.
E3 only had 5 games playable, I assumed, and apparently is wrong, that there are more.
The dvd drive is important to a lot of fans becuase they figure if the system fails, at least they got a dvd player. I am not Anti-Nintendo or Gamecube, I have a GBA and its great! I am a huge Nintendo fan, its just with the last system and by the way things are looking they need to make some changes fast.
P.S. Metroid looks amazing.[/QOUTE]

think about your entire statement here...because you make about as much sense as this..

-zero
Old 08-16-01, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
The number I've heard was around $400 million by end of 2002, but I believe that includes GBA.
source? I haven't seen anything on the amount of cash thrown towards either system for advertising. If they had, I'm sure I'd remember it from Video Business magazine.

zero: funny post!
Old 08-17-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
You only play with your thumbs and your thumbs are the same size.

PS2's price should go down by at $50 when Gamecube and X-Box hit the shelves.

The reason why Sony's "big hitters" like MGS2, Smackdown 3, Crash etc. are being released this fall and not at launch is because of smart marketing. MGS2 will be huge when it comes out and it might change peoples minds about what system to buy.

All you saying that the n64 raked in huge money... check again... the PSX's sales were much better the N64's

And 1 good game a year is not enough even if its a blockbuster which isn't always the case... but i don't think that the Gamecube will release 1 good game a year, i think more becuase it took a long time to make one game on the N64 because of the use of the cartridge. I'm not sure how long this special dvd will take to make but i doubt it'll be as long as the cart.

DVD playback isn't important but more of an extra, but people did buy the PS2 because it was also a DVD player. Parents whose kids asked for the PS2 liked the fact that their not wasting money on just another "toy" for their kids but their also getting a DVD player for themselves. in the end the whole family can enjoy the PS2 but only the gamers can enjoy the Gamecube.

Backwards compatibiitly is also not important but a nice extra... Parents will like the fact that their not wasting money on a new system and putting their old PSX games to waste cuase their new PS2 games will allow them to play their old stuff too.

The Games are by far the most important... The games on the Gamecube look amazing but tell me that you weren't stunned when they showed graphics of PS2 games? Don't start whining that the PS2 games sucked even if they had good graphics, cuase very few of you have actually played a gamecube game.

Thunderball says that Gamecubes special discs won't cost more but may infact cost less due to lack of piracy. Well can you pirate N64 games? NO but you can pirate PSX games and they cost less then N64 Games.

Heres my prediction: THe Gamecube will sell and Nintendo will definatly not fold, but Sony will remain king becuase Sony already picked up a lot of the market by relesaing the PS2 a year earlier. Also I think that the Gamecube will sell less then the N64 did, for example, all of my friends who owned the N64 bought a PS2 and their not looking to pick up a gamecube. X-Box is a true toss-up either it'll sell and take over like Sony did with the PSX or die a death like Sega did... as of right now, i predict the latter. I plan on buying the Gamecube if their games are any good. (remember don't whine that they WILL be good becasue you probably haven't played it yet). I probably won't buy X-Box.

Someone said that they played pretty much all the PS2 games and aren't impressed... sounds like someones jealous

P.S. If your a true hardcore gamer you'd know that its all about the games and not the system specs or how the game looks. Its about how it plays and how fun it is.
Old 08-17-01, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<marquee> </marquee>

It cracks me up when people say that a DVD player in a console is important.

Face it, GameCube is winning the expectations game. People know Nintendo is quality. Basically the only thing Nintendo has to do to make GameCube successful is make quality games (which I'm sure they'll have no problem doing). Under that assumption, GameCube already has the competition beat.

I personally think that Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet will be a dark horse system seller, as long as it's a decent game (which I have no reason to believe it's not).

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 08-17-01 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-17-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goat3001
All you saying that the n64 raked in huge money... check again... the PSX's sales were much better the N64's
Bill Gates and Donald Trump both have a lot of money. Just because Bill Gates has more doesn't exactly mean Donald Trump is on the streets.
Old 08-17-01, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

Bill Gates and Donald Trump both have a lot of money. Just because Bill Gates has more doesn't exactly mean Donald Trump is on the streets.
your right but theres people saying that N64 won the console wars over the PSX and that Nintendo is king. And to win the console wars and to be known as "king" is to sell more consoles then your competition. The N64 simply just didn't sell as well as the PSX. Thats all i was really saying.

Oh and if someone says that in end Nintendo gameing systems has made more money then Sony gaming systems... no kidding... they've had more consoles then Sony has... and we all know how well the 8-Bit Nintendo sold.

Last edited by Goat3001; 08-17-01 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-17-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
<marquee> </marquee>

It cracks me up when people say that a DVD player in a console is important.

Face it, GameCube is winning the expectations game. People know Nintendo is quality. Basically the only thing Nintendo has to do to make GameCube successful is make quality games (which I'm sure they'll have no problem doing). Under that assumption, GameCube already has the competition beat.

people who say DVD is anything but a nice extra aren't "hardcore" gamers no matter how much they push that they are.

Gamecube is winning the expectations game because theres nothing left to expect other then the X-Box... and no one really has that many expectations for a new system from a new company (console company that is)

Exactly the only thing to make Gamecue sucessful is to make quality games, which I agree they won't have problems doing. But the PS2 has already made quality games (GT3, TMB, SSX) and their fall lineup looks great (MGS2,Smackdown 3, Final Fantasy) and to a lot of gamers the anticipation of playing MGS2 is just as strong if not stonger then the anticipation for gamecube and gamecube games.

P.S. Many people say that the quality of games is opinion and of course it is... but the 3 games i picked above (GT3, TM:B, and SSX) are games that most critics have picked as one of their favs. A lot of websites gave those games above a 9.0 out of 10. Critics in my opinion aren't too important in choosing your games. But be realistic most if not all your favorite games got a rave reviews by critics.
Old 08-17-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goat3001
your right but theres people saying that N64 won the console wars over the PSX and that Nintendo is king. And to win the console wars and to be known as "king" is to sell more consoles then your competition. The N64 simply just didn't sell as well as the PSX. Thats all i was really saying.
Of course the PSX beat out the N64 (not that it makes much difference, but the PSX was also released before the N64).

Oh and if someone says that in end Nintendo gameing systems has made more money then Sony gaming systems... no kidding... they've had more consoles then Sony has... and we all know how well the 8-Bit Nintendo sold.
The fact that Nintendo has been in the game longer (and has sold more systems total than all the competition [not combined, obviously]) isn't exactly something that should be overlooked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.