Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Request: Elite's Drive-in Disc volume 2 (Giant Gila Monster/Wasp Woman)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Request: Elite's Drive-in Disc volume 2 (Giant Gila Monster/Wasp Woman)

Old 08-13-01, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Review wanted: Elite's Drive-in Disc volume 2 (Giant Gila Monster/Wasp Woman)

Could someone who has this disc that was released last month please give me a short review of the audio/video/extras, or provide a link to one? I've searched all over the web and couldn't find one. I finally picked up volume 1 last week and enjoyed it. Is volume 2 up to par with volume 1? Thanks.
Old 08-13-01, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Strangely, I can't find a review anywhere online. Elite's generally great about sending out screeners. I wonder if they held off for volume 2 since the reviews for the first disc were so negative. (FWIW, I enjoyed the original, though the MSRP struck me as excessive.)
Old 09-14-01, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally found a review. Not a very good one, though. According to the reviewer, the video is better than the first volume, but the Distort-o audio track is worse than the one on the first volume, and not worth listening to at all. The most disappointing part of the review, for me, is that the Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons are different than volume 1's, but the rest of the adverts, etc. are the SAME as on volume 1, with the addition of just a couple new warnings from the mgmt. Since the extras were, for me, the highlight of these discs, there's no way I'm going to spend that much money for, essentially, identical extras. Extremely disappointing. But, at least I can save that money for other discs coming up.

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=1530

BTW, in (I think) last week's Cineschlock-O-Rama newsletter, DVDTalk's own G. Noel Gross said he'll have a review of the disc posted soon, so watch out for that, as well.
Old 09-15-01, 12:01 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scott27
BTW, in (I think) last week's Cineschlock-O-Rama newsletter, DVDTalk's own G. Noel Gross said he'll have a review of the disc posted soon, so watch out for that, as well.
I Recommend the disc. The flicks are great, and the added dodads are a lot of fun. I think the Distorto actually improves on the movie audio, but the night-noises are a bit headache-inducing for a double-feature sitting.

Unfortunately, I'm tied up dealing with my dad who just had triple-bypass heart surgery. It'll be a few days before I can get my overdue newsletter out (and get that review posted). Just by way of a preview ... Basket Case: SE earns a Collectors Series review, while Mimic 2 and Behind The Planet of the Apes: SE are both Highly Recommended.

Thanks for plugging the column, Scott. There'll be a little something extra in your envelope this month.
Old 09-15-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross

Unfortunately, I'm tied up dealing with my dad who just had triple-bypass heart surgery.

Sorry to hear that. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks for plugging the column, Scott. There'll be a little something extra in your envelope this month.
Anytime. I enjoy your column and reviews. Looking forward to reading your full review of the disc.
Old 09-16-01, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I really enjoyed the extras on volume one, but I could not sit through the terrible movies. I just can't watch those kind of cheesey movies without the guys from mystery science theater 3000 sitting in the front row making wise cracks.
Old 09-21-01, 03:39 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My review is up ...
http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=2688
Old 09-21-01, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
I dunno, darkside. As sad as it is to say, I enjoyed The Screaming Skull, and not in a "so bad it's good" sort of way. Maybe I shouldn't admit to that. Attack of the Giant Leeches was more mediocre than anything else, not really the unwatchable sort of movie that characterizes most of the movies riffed on MST3K. For the curious, three of the four movies in Elite's Drive-In Discs series have been on MST3K, though "The Screaming Skull" was part of the extraordinarily unentertaining Sci-Fi years.