Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Which store gets the majority of your PRE-ORDER business?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: Which store currentl gets the majority of your PRE-ORDER business?
DVD Empire
18.75%
Buy.com
2.08%
Amazon.com
31.25%
Deep Discount DVD
20.83%
Other (800.com, CDNow, etc.)
18.75%
B&M on release date (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.)
8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-01, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently, DVD Empire gets about 80% of my pre-order business. With the STL program DVD Talk has going with Amazon, I find myself purchasing the more expensive pre-orders from them.
More & more I find myself waiting for the release date for the real popular titles and doing a price-match at the local Best Buy.
Just curious as to how the numbers work out with all the DVD Talk members.
Old 08-12-01, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lately, I wait until the movie streets and buy them from a local B&M. Pre-order prices aren't the best these days, so I only pre-order every once in a while.
Old 08-13-01, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I hve stopped pre-ordering.

No reason to without coupons or special pricing.

Even the retail stoes will drop the price lower after a few weeks so I have been waiting.
Old 08-13-01, 09:22 AM

I go through CDNOW, since they take 30% off all pre-orders. Buying a couple saves the cost of shipping, plus it is still cheaper (and easier) than going through a B&M.
Old 08-13-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally posted by King Slender
I go through CDNOW, since they take 30% off all pre-orders. Buying a couple saves the cost of shipping, plus it is still cheaper (and easier) than going through a B&M.

Definitely CDNow. I can't believe that wasn't one of the main options. They are awesome in getting preorders out early. I always get mine on Friday or Saturday before the Tuesday street dates. They also have 30% off preorders and btwn their own coupons, Discover Card rebates, and the giftcertificates.com deal, they seem to have the best deals.
Old 08-13-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog

Definitely CDNow. I can't believe that wasn't one of the main options. They are awesome in getting preorders out early.
I'll have to start checking them out again. I had experiences in the past where pre-orders took forever to arrive from them, but if their pre-orders ship on time that would be great!
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-13-01, 02:18 PM

I pre-order from my local "Media Play", usually get a good deal this way, and if it ends up a better deal elsewhere...no hassle at all.....take the "Die Hard Collection"

I pre-ordered it for 59.99, a decent price... Best Buy advertised it for 49.99, so I canelled my pre-order, and purchased it at BB. Besides, "Media Play" and "Suncoast" gives me points on my "Replay" account, just got 30.00 worth of certificates in the mail.

Current Pre-orders there... "Batman: The Movie" (1966) $14.95, "The Goonies" $19.95, "Silence of the Lambs" $19.95,
and "Hannibal" $19.95. Even better, all 4 come out on a Replay week, meaning I get triple points for purchases.....cha ching!!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks II

Last edited by JarJarBinks; 08-13-01 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-13-01, 09:47 PM

I do all my prebook through DVD Empire because they have pretty much every title covered. That's about 85% of my DVD business.

The other 15% gets split between CDNow (with the occasional CD purchase) and my local Media Play which lets me browse and pick up some good bargains.

The stores that dont get my business are:

Amazon (They still owe me noney!)
Deep Discount DVD (Their site is too incomplete, and they take too long!)
Buy.com (No customer service!
and Express (Yes, I got the E-mail and they did a great job selling their old product, but I want to see someone get something new from them first!)

Sorry for the rant and I hope I didn't miss the point of the post, but I have been shopping for a long time over the DVD net and I miss the good old days of Reel.com. DVD Empire comes closest to them as far as service and price goes!
Old 08-13-01, 10:48 PM

CDNow, with a 30% regular discount plus a 15% coupon (see the discounts thread) and $7.20 shipping for up to 3 discs to Australia gets my vote.
Old 08-20-01, 02:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Since all the gift certs are gone, I've been buying from Deep Discount DVD. Of course, I've only preordered the Die Hard Trilogy, Point Break, and new Dave Matthews Band lately, everything else I'm either renting or getting through Columbia House. I'd rather save a couple bucks and not fight traffic than drive to Circuit City. Although, with my latest preorder, Circuit City has it for $17.99 plus tax, which is cheaper than anyone but DDD. So I may not be that far off from going B&M.