Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jet Li's next one will be an epic Period film!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-01, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

This may be old news to some of you... but we've heard Jet Li say that he didn't want to do anymore historic period films and wanted to focus on contemporary films... well his next film (after The One) is to be titled "Hero" (conflicting with a certain Dustin Hoffman film?). It will be directed by Zhang Yimou (Raise the Red Lantern & Shanghai Triad). This is from the Aint it Cool News site - so blame them if it's a lie... I've known about this film though for awhile now (just didn't know what it was about), so I can at least verify the title...

Before became the First Emperor of China, Ying Zheng (played by Chen Daoming), King of the state of Qin, brutal and ruthless, was the target of many assassins. Among them, Can Jian (Broken Sword, played by Tony Leung Chiu-Wai), Fei Xue (Flying Snow, played by Maggie Cheung) and Liu Zhi Tie Shou (Six Finger Iron Hand) are the best. However, their plan was challenged by Ying Zheng's bodyguard Wu Yu (Silencer, played by Jet Li). He rarely spoke and no one knew what he was up to, but something was hidden behind this eyes. Three assassins fought their way into the king's place and were killed by Silencer in front of the king. He told the king his enemies had been wiped out but the king did not trust him. When Silencer finally start to fulfill his wish, killing the king, something more deadly was waiting for him ...

According to some insider, Jet Li decided to take the project and receiving a pay-cut mainly because of the character of Silencer, psychological and tragical. Cheng Daoming has replaced Jiang Wen as the king, later became the First Emperor. Interesting enough, both of them have played Pu Yi, the last emperor of China before. Jiang Wen played the last emperor in The Last Empress (1987) and the First Emperor in The Emperor's Shadow (1996). Cheng Daoming was the lead in TV series The Last Emperor. Zhang Ziyi will play a very minor role in the film, the maid of Broken Sword. She was secretly in love with her master and was willing to sacrifice her life for him. Her weapons are twin knives.
So filming will start in about a week. I'm excited. Perhaps he might get the bug and decide to do the sequel to Kung-Fu Cult Master (yeah right )... anyway - this sounds very promising. I can't wait.
Old 08-09-01, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This could really be the one!

I just saw Shanghai Triad a few months ago and I thought it was excellent. My nose tells me that of all Jet Li's recent efforts, this could be the one that either propels him into the larger movie-goer consciousness or confirms that his best days are behind him. Of course I haven't seen "The One" so that's still an unknown.

The intelligentsia and arty house folks will know about Raise the Red Lantern and Red Sorghum -- two acknowledged modern classics.

I'm already ready for "The One," but this is the Jet Li movie I'm really waiting for.

Joel

p.s.
If you haven't seen Shanghai Triad yet, what are you waiting for?
Old 08-09-01, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm very optimistic about The One - I can't wait. The trailer looks fantastic to me - don't know why everyone thinks it will suck. I like sci-fi films. I loved Van Damme's Timecop. This looks similar. Actually - it looks more like a Highlander angle than a timetravel one.

Hero is going to be awesome - I'm so glad to see Jet Li back to doing period films. Good call
Old 08-09-01, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

about THE ONE, i dont like the idea of jet li vs. jet li...

HERO might be more successful than THE ONE cus it has a bigger cast.
Old 08-09-01, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Trigger
I'm very optimistic about The One - I can't wait. The trailer looks fantastic to me - don't know why everyone thinks it will suck. I like sci-fi films. I loved Van Damme's Timecop. This looks similar. Actually - it looks more like a Highlander angle than a timetravel one.

Hero is going to be awesome - I'm so glad to see Jet Li back to doing period films. Good call
i finally finished the one trailer download, and i agree i think it looks really cool. a lot of people have low expectations for this, so maybe it will catch them off guard if it turns out to be really good (hopefully). - it would be the opposite of KOD's high expectations and poor acceptance, but i liked it.
Old 08-10-01, 05:59 PM

I'm not sure if I'd call this "the next Jet Li" movie or the next Zhang Yimou movie... Zhang Yimou is one of the greatest directors working today - classics like Ju Dou are just so powerful... Jet Li has never worked with a director with this sensibility, so I'm very excited that both "the next Jet Li movie" and "the next Zhang Yimou movie" is coming soon...

Not to mention that Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi are in the cast...

Whew.
Old 08-11-01, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dagan
...and Zhang Ziyi are in the cast...

Whew.
This chick is frickin EVERYWHERE now... dang. I mean - she's hot, but why does she gotta be in every film coming out?
Old 08-13-01, 12:12 AM

because shes hot?
Old 08-13-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

This chick is frickin EVERYWHERE now... dang. I mean - she's hot, but why does she gotta be in every film coming out?
and can you imagine, if Hsu Chi hadn't turned down the role in CTHD, where would Ziyi be right now?