Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is the unrated version of American Pie really any better then the r-rated?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get Utlimate verison of American Pie and was wondering if the unrated version is really that much better then the theatrical version of the movie.
Old 08-07-01, 10:54 PM
Suspended

The only thing I noticed in the unrated version is

Spoiler:
in the pie scene, jim is on the counter on top of the pie humping it, instead of like holding it over his crotch while he's standing there

There might be other little things here and there but that's really the only thing I noticed different. I only got the new version becasue I never got the first, and I usually try to get the "best" version when there's more than 1
Old 08-07-01, 11:36 PM

I actually prefer the rated versions Pie scene. But the unrated might contain a few more seconds of Shannon Elizabeth. I would probably choose to have the unrated but wouldnt be upset about having the rated version.
Old 08-08-01, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Differences in the UNRATED version:

A different view of Kevin "cumming" in the beer cup.

Jim "humping" the pie on the counter, instead of just standing up.

More pages are shown in the "sex bible"

A few more seconds of Nadia moaning.

definately go for the UNRATED...you cant go wrong.
Old 08-08-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a fan of this movie but I can tell you that the unrated shot of the guy lying on top of the pie is simply not funny. The sight of him standing there covering himself with the pie is funny. I can't imagine that the filmmakers thought that the unrated version was worth using over the funnier version.
Old 08-08-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... the scene in the unrated version, where the guy, whatsisnameagain?, humps the apple pie on the kitchen table, is so vastly, enormously, humongously, indescribably, at-a-loss-for-an-even-stronger-description more funny than the same scene in the rated version, where the same guy, seen from the back - or was it the side?... don't remember- anyway, he does the same thing standing up, which is vastly, enormously etc. less funny, believe me... ... oops! did I just give away the best 'joke' in this fantastically, wildly, roaringly humorous comedy, that leaves other would-be fantastically etc. funny comedies like TSAM in the dust?... am I sorry?... heck no!... my advise: buy both versions, show both to your friends, parents, grandparents, in-laws, have fascinatingly deep discussions with them about the two versions, and about whether the 0,302% additional T&A shown in the unrated version improves the movie by a lot, compared to the rated version, or not, as the case may be - truly, regardless of which version you decide to choose eventually, this is one of the greatest movies, by far, to have come out of Hollywood in many a year! believe me!! yes!!!

...takes a tablet out of the bottle near his desk, swallows it, and calms down...

. . . . . .
Old 08-08-01, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by buskerdog
I'm not a fan of this movie but I can tell you that the unrated shot of the guy lying on top of the pie is simply not funny. The sight of him standing there covering himself with the pie is funny. I can't imagine that the filmmakers thought that the unrated version was worth using over the funnier version.

im gonna have to disagree.
Old 08-08-01, 08:20 PM

I'd have to say that him on the counter was funnier than standing there, but I'm not quite sure why they would cut that out of the "rated" version. You don't see anything in either version (except maybe his ass) that would require censoring. But then again, you never know how anal the MPAA is gonna be.

Also, with the shots of Nadia, I've seen both versions and can't really see a difference.
Old 08-09-01, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by TheHud
I'd have to say that him on the counter was funnier than standing there, but I'm not quite sure why they would cut that out of the "rated" version. You don't see anything in either version (except maybe his ass) that would require censoring. But then again, you never know how anal the MPAA is gonna be.

Also, with the shots of Nadia, I've seen both versions and can't really see a difference.

There isnt any difference to "see" in the Nadia scene. But you can however hear more moaning from her.
Old 08-09-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The MPAA usually frowns on implied sex acts moreso than actually nudity. The "humping" of the pie in the unrated version would piss off Mr. Valenti more than just having the pie hang on his crotch in the rated edition. No doubt the implication of Shannon Elizabeth's enjoyment of sex by her moaning made the MPAA nervous so they cut some of it out.

Another example, some of the sex scene in American Psycho was cut because the MPAA thought that too much "doggy style" may make some people think they were having anal sex so the filmmakers cut some dialogue & either reframed the shot or cut a little out (I can't remember) to decrease this implication (as seen by the MPAA).

Think of it, you can see as much T & A as you want, even some male frontal nudity, but you will rarely see a hot, steamy intercourse scene in the theaters anymore.
The MPAA has become more strict over the years. Something like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" or Cheech & Chong movies would not be released today without major changes.
Old 08-09-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TheHud
You don't see anything in either version (except maybe his ass) that would require censoring.
It's the "thrusting" that caused the MPAA to slap an NC-17 on this cut.
Old 08-09-01, 01:26 PM

I remember seeing that version of the pie-humping scene on VHS a while ago... so is the DVD Uncensored edition the same as the VHS version I saw? (can't remember the name since it wasn't mine)...
Old 08-09-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not really, but the scene ontop of the kitchencounter is better in the unrated version.
Old 08-09-01, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
There is a special edition on VHS that has been out for a while tjat contains the uncut version.
Old 08-11-01, 09:36 AM

BBoisvert is right. The thrusting has forced many a filmmaker to trim a frame or 2. Apparently, it's ok to have sex as long as you don't move while you do it. That's what the "Austin Powers" version of Eyes Wide Shut was concealing. And Spike Lee had to digitally alter John Leguizamo's ass in Summer of Sam to make it look still as opposed to "thrusting."
Old 08-11-01, 07:10 PM

i just got back from American Pie 2. HILARIOUS!! i loved it. Just as good as the first one, if not better.

definately check it out