Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Remove Willy Wonka from Coming Soon ad at the top of the forum screens?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering about your thoughts on removing Willy Wonka from the rotation of "coming soon" ads that appear at the top of the forum screen. I know other sites are doing all they can to fight this travesty and this might just be still another way of going about it - not advertising it.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-07-01, 10:32 AM
Registered

I agree.

Removed !

I have a call into WB but they have yet to return my call.
Old 08-07-01, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by gkleinman
I agree.

Removed !
Good form!
Old 08-07-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree.

Removed !

Cool! Way to go buddy!
Old 08-08-01, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
I agree.

Removed !

No answer from warner to anybody as of yet. Hmm..
Old 08-09-01, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pestilence

No answer from warner to anybody as of yet. Hmm..

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bignews.shtml#997394613

Supposedly, somebody called The Big Picture. And they said, "Thanks for taking our sides on this fiasco....great job on the positive review...one more step to the AOL World conglomerate that edits all your movies from the theaters to DVD....in snapper cases" or something to that effect.
Old 08-09-01, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also worth noting is that WB is saying "the press release never specified aspect ratio". So by not saying anything, we're to assume they're gonna alter a movie from its OAR by default???!!!! This is B.S.!
Old 08-10-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad that DVDtalk has removed Wonka from the banners.

Old 08-11-01, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
glad you removed it. I hope this release sits on the shelves with no sales.
Old 08-13-01, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In case you didn't notice, on the front page of DVD Talk there is still an ad for Willy Wonka. True, there's negative stuff written about it. But there are two affiliate links within the paragraph to buy Willy Wonka at Amazon.
Old 08-15-01, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LBPound23
In case you didn't notice, on the front page of DVD Talk there is still an ad for Willy Wonka. True, there's negative stuff written about it. But there are two affiliate links within the paragraph to buy Willy Wonka at Amazon.
What's wrong with that? Although the majority of people are very upset about Warner's decision, I've also read plenty of comments from people satisfied with an open-matte release.

As I said in another forum where you brought this up (and accused Geoff of being more interested in profiting off of the release than sticking to his guns) I think Geoff is doing the right thing. He's warning people of the true nature of the release and letting people who still want to purchase it help support DVDtalk.
Old 08-15-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Peep

What's wrong with that? Although the majority of people are very upset about Warner's decision, I've also read plenty of comments from people satisfied with an open-matte release.

As I said in another forum where you brought this up (and accused Geoff of being more interested in profiting off of the release than sticking to his guns) I think Geoff is doing the right thing. He's warning people of the true nature of the release and letting people who still want to purchase it help support DVDtalk.
I don't think anything's wrong with it. I just thought that the people who thought the image on top was wrong would be upset by the front-and-center ad. Doesn't bother me either way.
Old 08-15-01, 11:32 AM
Registered

I hardly think a blurb on the front of DVD Talk saying that Warner Screwed up is an ad.

We link all titles we talk about to e-tailers so people can go and check it out on their own.

But to say I'm more interested in profiting from Wonka than resolving this widescreen issue is just absurd! I've had several long talks with folks at WB and DVD buyers at many of the major etailers about this issue and have helped 'behind the scenes' to get the word communicated lound and clear that this choice to omit the widescreen version of Wonka was a big mistake.

But LB, you've been critical of almost everything we've done almost from day 1.
Old 08-15-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But LB, you've been critical of almost everything we've done almost from day 1.
I don't believe that's a fair statement to make at all. How have I been critical at all? All I said was that people got mad over the ad on top but not on the links on the main page. It doesn't offend me, I was just pointing it out.

I really don't think that makes me "critical of almost everything" you've done. Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else?
Old 08-15-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh and the statement about earning referral fees was more important than sticking to what you believe in, comes across WAY stronger in writing than I intended. I thought of a gentler way of putting it, because I do believe that the widescreen issue is very important to you (even more important to sales), I just had no other way of putting what I felt was the issue at hand.
Old 08-15-01, 02:48 PM
Registered

LB, Don't mind my grumpy mood, I've been sick for the past week with a KILLER flu AND pink eye. So I appoligize if my post was pissy but the statement felt true...
Old 08-15-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

LB, Don't mind my grumpy mood, I've been sick for the past week with a KILLER flu AND pink eye. So I appoligize if my post was pissy but the statement felt true...
and don't forget lack of sleep due thanks to the newborn!
Been there & done that.
Old 08-15-01, 04:25 PM
Registered

Yep sleep deprivation can do a number on you. It's been a pretty miserable week. Everyone in my family is sick and is on some sort of antibiotic. So sleep isn't something I've done a lot of lately. But I am feeling a little better today, so I'm trying to catch up on my work.