Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart and dvd's

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Wal-Mart and dvd's

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-Mart and dvd's

I have a question, does Wal-Mart in any shape or form edit a movie on dvd like they edit cds or do they sell the same movie every other store sells?
Old 08-04-01, 12:55 AM
AOD

They don't edit DVDs like the CDs they recieve. They don't even edit the CD's for that matter, the companies that make the CDs do (i.e. sony, columbia etc...). I got Dracula 2000 from Wally World and it was DEFINATELY NOT edited. Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-01, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's what I thought. I also heard that they won't sell unrated movies. Any truth to that?
Old 08-04-01, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They won't sell an unrated movie if it's unrated because it would have received an NC-17. For example, they will not carry the unrated version of "Requiem for a Dream."

However, they will carry unrated movies if the changes meant the difference between an R and a PG-13. They do have the unrated "Nutty Professor II."

I find the whole music vs. movies thing with Wal-Mart to be hypocritical. A CD gets a parental warning label if it uses the word "$hit," so Wally World bans it or demands an edit. But they'll turn around and carry R-rated movies, which have far more explicit material.

What kind of sense does that make?
Old 08-04-01, 01:57 AM

I almost never get a chance to go to Wal-mart, there isnt one anyhwere near here i live, the closest is about a 1-1.5 hour drive from where i am...

I have a question about the "unrated" movies, how do you tell if they're unrated? Is there a label or a sticker?
Old 08-04-01, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD-Justin
I almost never get a chance to go to Wal-mart, there isnt one anyhwere near here i live, the closest is about a 1-1.5 hour drive from where i am...

I have a question about the "unrated" movies, how do you tell if they're unrated? Is there a label or a sticker?
This just confirms that Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in North America! (There's also a really cute actress named Jewel something who sings every once in awhile in a bar there. Hubba hubba.)

Usually the studios make a big deal on the covers over the unrated versions of films. It's a great marketing tool: Hey, come buy this so you can see the naughty bits we couldn't show you in theaters!"
Old 08-04-01, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

Usually the studios make a big deal on the covers
Oh ok, so Unrated one's are really like "SE"'s of the rated versions, so all the frills and gimmicks are used, just as if the "Unrated" version was a "SE, UE, 5-Star" etc.....?

I was under the impression that unrated versions of DVD's were just thrown out there and had a sticker labeled "unrated" or something to that affect slapped on them....
Thanks...

and yeah, this city is pretty nice, been raining a lot lately though, go figure....
Old 08-04-01, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of DVDs say in fine print that the extra features are unrated. And Wal-Mart still sells those DVDs. I hear Michael Bay has a bad mouth.
Old 08-04-01, 03:37 AM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
However, they will carry unrated movies if the changes meant the difference between an R and a PG-13. They do have the unrated "Nutty Professor II."
Ready for Wal-Mart's policy to make even less sense? One of the unrated films they carry in my area is Bound. I haven't seen the film for a while, but I don't think that was hovering between a PG-13 and an R!
Old 08-04-01, 06:53 AM
Banned

Don't go to that sh!thole wallmart, those mother****ers are "family oriented" and so you won't get any decent products there heh.
Um.. I guess they would ban my post too... it's rated R
Old 08-04-01, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by DVD-Justin
Oh ok, so Unrated one's are really like "SE"'s of the rated versions, so all the frills and gimmicks are used, just as if the "Unrated" version was a "SE, UE, 5-Star" etc.....?
The only title I know of that's like that is Requiem for a Dream. The Klumps: Uncensored has a few new features, but the first one had enough to call it a SE.

We all know that Wal-Mart has plenty of R-rated movies. I recently checked just to see which version of Saving Silverman they had, and as I suspected, they only carry the PG-13 disc.
Old 08-04-01, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a strange thing happen at Walmart today. I took 2 Dvd's to the cash register in that department and the guy tried to ring it up but he said he could not ring them up because he was 17 and one was rated R.
Old 08-05-01, 02:31 PM
pat
Cool New Member

Wal-mart.com stinks. They had the dvd Legend advertised on their website, so I bought it. They sent me the wrong movie 3
times, come to find out, Legend hasn't even been released yet.
They really shouldn't advertise dvd's that aren't released yet. At
least I could return the dvd to my local wal-mart. If I had to pay for shipping to send them back, I would have really been ticked
off. I sent them a nasty e-mail, I don't do business with wal-mart.com anymore.