Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon: Usually NOT ship within 24 hours

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With higher and higher price, more and more trash emails, slower and slower shipping, Amazon is going down and down...

My credit card was charged on July 28... order still not shipped August 2 today.
Old 08-02-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My order shipped 3 days after the DVD came out, but check my thread, they are trying to charge me for a DVD that I was getting for free
Old 08-03-01, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, most of my "24 hours" orders are taking at least 4 -5 days to ship, and "2-3 day" items are taking well over a week. This week has been particularly bad - I have two orders I placed the middle of last week that have been sitting in "in stock - shipping soon" status since Monday (5 days). It reminds me of last Christmas when everything at Amazon came to virtual standstill and orders were taking weeks to ship. On top of that I can't even log into my account half the time.

Thankfully, I just used up the last of my Amazon Gift Certificates, so I can start shopping elsewhere where I can get it cheaper and faster. Of course, as soon as I get enough points built up on my Amazon Nextcard for another GC, I'll be right back there like the cheap whore that I am. Hopefully they'll have gotten better by then.
Old 08-03-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed with that. What's worse is when you order a 24 hour item with a 2-3 days item. Then it takes twice as long as the 2-3 day item. And why do they classify them differently if they are both "in stock" and "in warehouse." Is it too far to walk and they have to drive to the other end of the warehouse?
Old 08-03-01, 05:12 PM

Ordered today an item with a 2-3 Days availability and it already is "in stock-shipping soon". And my other orders are just processing on time. Maybe i`m just lucky but i have nothing to complain about.
Old 08-03-01, 05:27 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, I remember few months ago my order was sitting under "in stock - shipping soon" for 2 days
Old 08-03-01, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Daniel Schenk
Ordered today an item with a 2-3 Days availability and it already is "in stock-shipping soon". And my other orders are just processing on time. Maybe i`m just lucky but i have nothing to complain about.
Dont be too optimistic with that. My order was in the status of "in stock-shipping soon" since July 28 (the day they charged my credit card) and I'm now still waiting...
Old 08-03-01, 07:06 PM

I also wish they would stop using UPS Ground. I have no problems with UPS 1 or 2 day, but Ground seems like "we'll get it there whenever we feel like it".

It would be cheaper and more efficent for them to use Priority Mail, I'd think.
Old 08-03-01, 09:24 PM
Banned

In Stock - Shipping Later This Month

My most recent order has been stuck as "In Stock - Shipping Soon" for the past 8 days. I called Customer Service yesterday, but they were unable to do anything. Why does it take more than a week to put 2 DVDs in a box?
Old 08-04-01, 12:57 AM

So far I haven't had any problems with orders shipping on time. Placed probably 10 to 12 in the last three month's and everything has gone fine.

I too wish they would use USPS more. The shipping by UPS seems to be a little rougher.

On the other hand it does concern me that some of you are having trouble even after talking with a customer service rep. As a Shareholder with about 400 shares invested of AMZN, I don't won't them to become another buy.com.

saintsfan
Old 08-04-01, 02:13 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My experience with amazon's shipping has been positive. They shipped out all my preorders promptly and I received them within 1-2 days of their release dates. Even for in-stock and 2-3 days items, they shipped out the in-stock first, and then the 2-3 days within a week.

By the way, I have been forcing them to use USPS, since I specified to ship to a P.O. Box. They ship single dvd order by media mail and multiple dvd order by priority mail
Old 08-06-01, 03:19 AM

As mentioned above, my order of 2-3 Days availabilty went immediately to "in stock-shipping soon" and after a day it shipped. Pretty good i think.
Old 08-08-01, 09:49 AM

Just found Amazon changed "Usually ships in 24 hours" note to "In stock"...now that's funny, it's like "since we don't promise about shipping time any more, you can't blame me..."
Old 08-08-01, 02:27 PM

Most everything that I have ever bought from Amazon said 'ships in 24 hours', however 90% of all the orders (around $3000 or so) I have placed have waited at least 3 days to be shipped. This including a dvd player I bought when it said it shipped in 24 hours, but had to wait around 3 weeks for Amazon to finally get it in stock (since it was a new item).

I guess 'In stock' is more appropiate for them then 'we'll fill your order whenever we feel like it', eh?
Old 08-10-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Accroding to a csr their-you can reuqest USPS over UPS cuz I bitched em out about the same thing..ups sucks big time..I have yet to figure out how to request one or the other when i do my online ordering though
Old 08-10-01, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not much to add, except that I'm seeing the same problems...

"In stock -- shipping soon" items used to go out within hours. I've had one order stuck in that status for two days now.
Old 08-10-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bboisvert
Not much to add, except that I'm seeing the same problems...

"In stock -- shipping soon" items used to go out within hours. I've had one order stuck in that status for two days now.
ditto
Old 08-10-01, 10:42 AM

Recently, my experiences have been the same.

Purchased a DVD which said "Usually ships in 24 hours" on the 23rd. It shipped (usps 1st class) on the 25th. I guess that the word "Usually" is the key operative in this.

And then --- it was estimated to arrive between the 31st and the 3rd. That's 7-10 days for delivery!!! I'd think that USPS would just about have to sit on it for a few days to get it to me that slowly.

Of course - it never got here. Called cust service on the 8th, and they've shipped another copy w/ UPS 2 day delivery. So - maybe I'll actually get to watch that disk this weekend. Maybe.
Old 08-10-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Am I the only one...

...who feels that Amazon shouldn't offer Next Day Air shipping option for an item unless they will actually ship it immediately?

I mean, what good is Next Day Air if Amazon sits on the order for 3 days?
Old 08-10-01, 02:53 PM

I have both positive and negative experiences on Amazon with regards to shipping. But hey, that will not stop me from ordering from their site.
Old 08-11-01, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

amazon shipping

I am a Canadian customer and have had not one bad experience with them....yet anways.
When I put in a order it usually has the "ship in 24 hours" showing.
All the times I put my order in, the next day I get an e-mail saying it has been shipped.
And in 4 to 6 days later it is in my mail box.
For those people that say that Amazon is expensive, I personally disagree on some of that.
It depends on what you order.
My last order I purchased Space 1999 sets 3 and 4 and was charged 109.00 canadian (including the 9.99 us expedited shipping to Canada).
At my nearest dvd stor I would have had to pay 98.00 +7% gst=105.00
And here in town it is a 3-4 week wait since they don't have them in stock.
A+ for Amazon.com
Old 08-11-01, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
starved dvder if you purchased Space 1999 3 & 4 from http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/ you would've paid $29.55 CAD each (free shipping) for a grand total of: $59.10 CAD

If you wanted to go nuts, you could've spent about $20 for overnight delivery

A+ for deepdiscountdvd
C+ for Amazon

(edit: updated link for DVDTalk referral)

Last edited by sracer; 08-11-01 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-11-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dddvd

I would have bought from them but they were sold out of both copies

I am an impatient man when it comes to ordering anything, even if it is more money.
I also have never used them before and have seen more negative feedback about them
than Amazon.
Old 08-14-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazon has certianly taken a dive when it comes to prices and shipping time. I only use them now for a few reasons. 1) They carry some DVD's that you can't get in a B&M. 2) Nextcard rewards. 3) Customer Service is still better than other online DVD retailers.

However, I am begining to buy DVD's at Best Buy more often. The only problem with Best Buy (B&M) is that they don't carry most of the titles I want. For example, the Best Buy near me doesn't carry the re-release of "Marry Shelly's Frankenstein", "When Trumpets Fade" or "Run Silent, Run Deep" to name but three.

I would say that beacuse of Amazon's recent negative changes they are loosing an additional $300.00 a month from me alone.