Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: Various IMAX and Friends

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-01, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I've noticed that there are some IMAX movies on DVD for sale on the web.

I was wondering if anyone has seen any of them and if they are worthwhile. I am particularly interested in the one about sharks (I love stuff about sharks). Any info. on the picture, sound, extras, etc. would be appreciated.

I know IMAX movies are usually shown on a fairly large screen. How does this translate to home, especially on a standard 4:3 TV?

Also, looking for any reviews on the Friends 2 DVD set that came out awhile ago. No luck finding reviews on it. How is the picture and are the extras worthwhile?

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-01, 10:28 AM

I've seen a few of these, but would say that they are really best seen in theaters. Of course, if you're really keen (and have a pretty decent audio & visual setup), then one or two might be worth investing in.
IMO, The Living Sea is one of the best IMAX movies around, so if you like sea stuff this one is really recommended; the music (by Sting) works well, as does the narration (by Meryl Streep, I think).
Of the others, Antarctica is an oldie but still a really fine film. On the other hand, Yellowstone is mediocre and not worth investing in.
As for extras, I think that one of the more recent IMAXreleases (T Rex ) has a half hour "Making of...", but I'm not 100% sure and don't know what extras (if any) the other discs carry.
The films would generally be OK when watched on a 4:3 TV, but given the (fairly brief) running times of the films I don't know if they justify the expense for such a setup.
Old 07-25-01, 12:21 AM

Here's a review for "Friends":

http://dvdreview.com/quickpeek/collect/317.shtml
Old 07-25-01, 05:43 PM
Banned

i do not like any imax movies i've seen because they are poor, boring, and sentimental. really not educational whatsoever. mainly experiments with the photographic process if you ask me. not good unless you're DEEPLY interested in photography
Old 07-27-01, 12:01 PM

Hi.

I have the Imax movie of Super Speedway and it is almost the best sounding dvd experience I have.