Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD stores with a liberal return policy?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-01, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received 2 DVD's as a gift that I already have. My friend got them thru CH. I would ideally like to take them to a store and exchange them for DVD's that I want. Is there any store out there this nice? Best Buy would be ideal but I'm pretty sure it won't work there.

Thanks
Jay

p.s. Both DVD's are still shrink wrapped and sealed, of course
Old 07-22-01, 01:41 AM
TCR
Cool New Member

Just a question....are CH's dvds anything like BMG's cd's? Like marked in a specific way to tell their origin. Like on a BMG cd I had..it had a BMG logo on the back bottom cover. If not, is there a barcode and is that the same as the retail versions? Something I would think about. Just a thought though...I am probably wrong!
Old 07-22-01, 02:19 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CH's DVDs are identical to the retailer version in every way.
Old 07-22-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

W**mart. However, they do not carry all titles. No Boogie Nights, Imax, etc.
Old 07-22-01, 12:00 PM

Electronics Boutique has a liberal return policy if you get the right employee with or without receipt. They are usually found in Malls and sell hundreds of DVD's...

Bruce
Old 07-22-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Walmart did the exchange! I'm psyched I got Die Hard 5 star, ID4 5 star and Toy Story 2 pack in exchange for my 2 movies and 10 bucks.

Jay

p.s. They did have IMAX titles
Old 07-24-01, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by schlitz100
Walmart did the exchange! I'm psyched I got Die Hard 5 star, ID4 5 star and Toy Story 2 pack in exchange for my 2 movies and 10 bucks.
Damn! What 2 movies did you return?
Old 07-24-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, the Walmart folk are always nice, so are Target employees.
Old 07-24-01, 10:18 PM
Cool New Member

Bestbuy is strange and very manager dependant. I went to the BB 2 minutes from my house to return a DVD, no reciept, fully packaged, which was actually bought from BB. I walked in, all alarms go off (due to the fact that it still had their security device in), walk up to the return desk, and am told no reciept, no business. I told them I dont want money back, store credit will do, I even tell them to watch as I walk through their detectors and sound alarms, they scan the DVD and it shows in stock, etc. Everything points to gimme store credit. Right, wrong, no reciept leave. So I get in the car, drive 20 miles to the next BB, walk in. Get this, in leaving the last BB, I was so pissed, I tore the plastic covering on the DVD (security stickers still intact though). I notice this walking into the BB and think no go now. Wrong, they not only give me store credit with no questions, but open all of their Jurrasic Park DTS to see if they are D2R2 (non were). So I said no thanks, took my credit and walked. Bottom line, it all depends on the person behind the counter!
Old 07-27-01, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The BB next to me is pretty lenient this way. They take back the DVDs but only give store credit and they do check my driver's license (i'm assuming to keep track of returns per person).

But it's funny, because I have a Canadian driving license,... I used to live there and haven't gotten a new one yet. Anyway, whenever I show them my canadian license when I want to return something, they don't know which state to type in, 'cuz there's really no state ID for quebec (PQ doesn't work). The state has to be american. I just tell 'em to put in a different state each time, and so nothing shows up, 'cuz it's like putting in a different ID each time. I know it's complicated and stupid, but the end result is they can't check my return history. But i've only done this twice, so i don't feel too guilty........