Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review request - Moby:Mobyplay

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-16-01, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone received a copy or know of review posted online of this disc yet? How is the sound/video quality, etc?
Old 07-16-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm bumping this to the top since I was going to ask for a review also. It streets tomorrow and Circuit City has it for $16.99.
Old 07-17-01, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had a look at this disc. I'm not going to comment on content, just the technical quality.

The first thing is that a number of the videos are seemingly from a VHS source. They have noise, color bleed, and the lack of definition that comes with VHS, and also some video dropouts.

Not all the videos are like this - a few are sharp and clean, as you would normally expect, and the live Jools Holland footage looks fine.

Given the nature of music videos, and the fact that I have not seen any of them before, I don't know how much of this look comes from artistic decisions. Be warned though - you will feel like you are watching a VHS for a chunk of this discs running time!

I look forward to hearing what others think on this one!

Bleddyn
Old 07-17-01, 07:26 PM
Banned

Damn! I was really looking forward to this DVD. Guess, I'll keep my money to buy food now.
Old 07-17-01, 09:53 PM

IMO, this is an excellent music DVD. All but 2 of the 10 videos are a waste of space and the 6 song concert in Holland is just o.k. but the music is incredible. If you even remotely like Techno, Trance, or Moby you will be amazed by the 5.1 channel sound. Where else can you find this type of music in 5.1? It was the first time I've been worried about my sub being able to keep up. The surrounds are a little weak, just turn it up! There are 19 mixes, many of which barely hint at the original song. Each mix transitions seamlessly to the other, all while displaying very creative mind altering graphics.

Last edited by coronawlme; 07-17-01 at 09:58 PM.