Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Great DVDPlanet.com experience!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-01, 01:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered 10 DVD's from these guys about 11pm (EST) Monday night. I immediatly received an email summary of my order, as expected. About 11:30pm (8:30 their time) I received another email saying my order had already been processed in their wherehouse and would ship Tuesday morning. Got the package today.

So, in my experience at least, DVDPlanet had great prices, service, and shipping ($7) was resonable for 10 DVD's! Highly recommended!

Jim
Old 07-12-01, 05:24 PM

DVD Planet is the online representation of Ken Crane's software retail store in Westminster, California which has been in the laserdisc & dvd business from the start. They are a class act all the way and I have never seen a negative comment about either the b&m store or the online entity.

Highly recommend them!
Old 07-12-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jason Merrick,

You havent been around here long have you? But they were really rotten in the first few months of this year and things seemed to get worse when they moved their shipping to Las Vegas, I think it was. I might try them in the future if I continue hear good things about them but mentioning Ken Cranes does not mean a thing. I guess I get a 1, negative feedback but there were alot more in the January to May or so timeframe.
Old 07-13-01, 12:44 AM

I have heard more positive than negative about DVD Planet/Ken Cranes. And Yes, I've been here for a long time ernestrp, so don't ask (I've only been posting since my what it states next to my name). I beleive that Ken Cranes has had less complaints than DVD Empire and DVD Espress (when they were still conducting a normal business that is) combined and DVD Planet/Ken Crane's volume is higher than both of them. So taking that into effect and their complaint rate is pretty good. I would recommend Ken Cranes in a heart beat and I'm glad to see that their distribution bugs have been worked out (which was that time they were having those few complaints).
Old 07-13-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been shopping at KenCranes/DVDPlanet for over 10 years and have no complaints. They are a great retailer -- with good customer service, great prices/selection, and prompt (and cheap) shipping.
Old 07-13-01, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by ernestrp
Jason Merrick,

You havent been around here long have you?
You're right, that I haven't been around HERE for very long, but I've been shopping there for years, and I've been active at HTF for the past couple years, so I am no newbie despite what my DVDTalk member status shows... I am assuming that is based on post content alone...
Old 07-13-01, 07:01 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been shopping at Ken Crane's for a couple of years now, and purchased something from DVD Planet once. While I find their prices to be too high, their selection is good, and I have no problems with their customer service. So, if you are willing to pay a little extra, or if you can't find a DVD elsewhere, this is a decent place to go.
Old 07-13-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, like I said if someone has a good time with Dvdplanet on an order I will listen but I really hate to hear Dvdplanet is so good because they took over K. Cranes so they must be good. I will say one good thing about Dvdplanet, atleast they arent has bad as TROMA.
Old 07-13-01, 08:10 PM

ernestrp- Actually, Ken Cranes/DVD Planet is the same company as it was 10 years ago. The only difference now is that a different comapny owns them. Ken Cranes Big Screen TV (which is Ken Crane Sr's operation) owned them before Image Entertainment bought them. Kenny (Ken Crane Jr.) still runs the day to day operations along with the same exact same crew that ran it when Ken Crane Senior was the financer. As for as the problems they were having, it was only caused by the growing pains that accompanied the growth into a huge distribution that's shared with Image Entertainment (the new owners). Maybe it's me, but when you have to get a distribution center new computer system to work with Ken Crane's system, especially when they are two totally seperate and different systems down to the programs used, it's allot of work and bugs will arise. Any how, if you need anymore questions answered let me know and I'll fill you in.
Old 07-14-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dvde,

While I said in my first post if I kept hearing good things about Dvdplanet I might try them again but I also noticed on Dvdpricesearch they only get 2 1/2 star rating.

I kind of gave up on-line ordering for awhile I decided to give DeepdiscountDvd a chance and while it has not been perfect, its been better than expected when they told me what was on Backorder. I should get 18 titles in July from various on-line places. close to the old days....but a little more expensive.
Old 07-15-01, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I placed an order a few days ago with DVDPlanet for an item that is in stock. I have yet to receive that second e-mail. It's not looking too good; I don't think I'll deal with DVDplanet in the future.
Old 07-15-01, 12:42 PM
Cool New Member

As an International shopper I wouldn't even consider them because of their requirement in wanting a photo copy of credit card and credit card statement, as do a couple of others, they go on to say that this is for both the protection of themselves and the international customer because " Most internet fraud originates from foreign countries"

I find the first requirement too dangerous and wouldn't give it to anyone let alone to someone the other side of the world. And the remark about foreign countries and lumping basically everywhere outside the U.S. as being a risk is offensive.
Plenty of other stores to choose from.
Old 07-16-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How in the wide world of sports do I cancel an order with DVDPlanet?
Old 07-16-01, 02:30 PM

They're not bad, but they're definitely not the best. They have a horrible on-line tracking system. Unlike a company like DVDEMPIRE in which you can modify, combine, delete, and keep track of your orders. That is good for me since 95% of my DVD orders are pre-orders. DVDPlanet told me that they are working on an on-line tracking system.
Old 07-16-01, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I placed an order with DVDplanet on the 4th of july during their sale. Item still shows in stock on the web page and it has yet to ship. When I called them last Thursday they said that it shipped out on Monday and that I should have it by Saturday. I called them Saturday only to have a lady tell me that it was out of stock and that it hasn't shipped but they were nice enought to go ahead and charge my card and send me a receipt in the mail for my purchase. I called them back again today to see what was going on and they said that it hasn't shipped but just as soon as they get the movie back in stock they will ship it right out, and again the lady was nice enough to point out that they had already charged my card for the order but it should be back in stock soon.
I don't think that I will ever do bussiness with them again. I will not recomended them to anyone that I know. Why did they charge my card if the movie is not in stock? and why does it still show up as in stock?
Not impressed at all. I hope they go the way or checkout.com soon.
Old 07-17-01, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
My Latest DVD Planet experience

Last Friday (the 13th...ooo Scary!) I pre-ordered the Special Edition of "Basket Case" which was supposed to be released today 7/17 along with a couple of other titles. Much to my surprise, I received a box yesterday (the 16th) with my complete order including the pre-order. I got the standard shipping (Priority Mail) which usually takes 3-5 days from either coast.
The only way I could have gotten it this fast is if the order shipped Friday. I really believe DVDPlanet is the best. I have never had a problem with them and they seem to have worked out how to do business efficiently and at very competitive prices.
I know their profit margins must be pretty narrow, but I plan to support them by buying all my DVD's from them in the future. I hope others will too.