DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

How is Thirteen Days?

Old 07-12-01, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is Thirteen Days?

I have yet to hear anything about this movie and DVD. How is it? The trailer looked really good but I never saw it in the theater.

Is it worth a purchase or is it just a rental?

Thanks
Old 07-12-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...go here:

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/13_days.shtml

. . .
Old 07-12-01, 09:37 AM

Except for Costner's lame attempt at a Mass. accent, this is a great movie. New Line's "Infinifilm" version allows you to jump from the film right to related points in the documentary. The historical commentary is also very interesting, playing audio cilps from the people involved in the crisis (JFK, Salinger, O'Donnell).
Old 07-12-01, 10:16 AM
Suspended

The DVD itself is really cool, and the Infinifilm thing is cool.

But the movie itself, I though was boring it was nice for a historal kinda thing to know more about what happened in the cuban missle crisis, but I just didn't find the movie too entertaining
Old 07-12-01, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty good movie with great extras. I rented it from BB because I wasn't sure if it was a good movie. I loved all the extras.
Old 07-12-01, 11:26 PM

What is this infinifilm thing?
Old 07-13-01, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"What is this infinifilm thing?"

...erm...

1) click on the review referred to above

2) once there, scroll down to where it says: "...Now we get to that part of the review that attempts to explain what exactly is an Infinifilm release..."

3) be amazed! ... be very amazed!...

...oh... and also go here:

http://www.infinifilm.com/intro.html

...and here:

http://www.thirteen-days.com/

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 07-13-01 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-15-01, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by necros
But the movie itself, I though was boring
Not to take anything away from Necros' opinion, but I thought the movie was riveting. One of the best of last year. If you are at all into history then you will love this flick!

Can't wait to watch all of the extras on this one. Commentary by JFK?! Too cool!
Old 07-15-01, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im definetly thinkin about getting this dvd
Old 07-17-01, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't seen 13 Days yet, but does anyone have any thoughts on how this compares to The Missiles of October (mid 70's).
Old 07-18-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

13 DAYS.

I found this to be riveting, as put before. The movie attempts to recreate the missle crisis between the USA and Soviet Union, and it does very well in doing so. The acting is great. Though I found nothing wrong with Costner Mass. accent, I'll let you decide, since I never been to Mass. To sum up, the movie was great, and if you liked: JFK, then this political thriller will deliver just as well.

MOVIE: 8.5/10
VIDEO: 8.5/10
AUDIO: 9/10
EXTRAS: 9/10
Old 07-18-01, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by filmguy
13 DAYS.

To sum up, the movie was great, and if you liked: JFK, then this political thriller will deliver just as well.
if i liked JFK? now i gotta buy this
Old 07-19-01, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
I agree. I thought "Thirteen Days" was one of the year's best. And Costner's accent didn't bother me a bit. The movie plays like a thriller. And I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Even though I knew the outcome.
Old 07-19-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sold......I'm gonna grab a copy today........
Old 07-20-01, 11:15 PM

Talk talk talk talk talk talk talk. After 45 minutes of it, it gave me a headache.
Old 07-21-01, 05:11 PM

"Talk talk talk talk talk talk talk. After 45 minutes of it, it gave me a headache."

Dude with all due respect, i think you should stick to movies like Driven and Tomb Raider. This is a riveting, tight-as-a-drum movie that ranks among last year's best for me and others i've spoken to that have seen it. Of course it's all talk, but Roger Donaldson did an admirable job of keeping the film flowing along over a lengthy running time. Highly recommended.
Old 07-21-01, 05:43 PM

Chief Brody. Do you like Jaws? I'm a Jaws freak! One of the best movies of all time.
Old 07-21-01, 08:24 PM
Cool New Member

I found the first 15 minutes of this movie to move very awkwardly. It seemed to me that the actors were struggling with **finding** their characters and mannerisms. Costner's accent was to far over the top, But after this slow stretch, the movie gained momentum rapidly and Costner dropped the accent down a couple of much needed notches. To label it as just a talk movie is unfair as the conversations were as riveting and intense as any action movie. I'd also be willing to bet that this movie plays better at home then at your local enormoplex where the urgency and intimacy are lost between the giggling teenagers in the back and the 6 foot 6 sitting in front of you.
Old 07-22-01, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was a great movie, especially if you like American history. I never saw it before I bought the dvd, and I liked it a lot. Also, New Line's Infinifilm makes the dvd even better. They have great extras. On a side note, Costner's accent seemed to come and go throughout the movie. Costner's accent wasn't a Boston accent but rather a mix between Forrest Gump and Mayor Quimby(from The Simpson's).
Old 07-22-01, 04:22 PM

"Chief Brody. Do you like Jaws? I'm a Jaws freak! One of the best movies of all time."

Agree 100%. But you've got to keep that outdated stuff off my desk, just the pending, alright?
Old 07-22-01, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched 13 days a couple of nights ago.....felt like the movie did a good job in re-creating the tension for the viewer that Americans experienced during this period of time. Will more than likely keep it for future viewings.

Very nice transfer
Old 07-24-01, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by The_Nigel_Tufnel
I found the first 15 minutes of this movie to move very awkwardly. It seemed to me that the actors were struggling with **finding** their characters and mannerisms. Costner's accent was to far over the top, But after this slow stretch, the movie gained momentum rapidly and Costner dropped the accent down a couple of much needed notches.
Remember that a movie is NEVER filmed in sequence. Movies are divided into scenes and are then scheduled to be shot in the most convenient fashion. Endings are often shot first. Action sequences are often shot before relaxed scenes in order to give the special effects dept. time to enhance them. So, it doesn't make sense to me that the actors were "finding" their characters at the beginning of the movie since a lot of movie was probably already filmed before that beginning. As far as Costner "dropping the accent down a notch" as the film progressed also doesn't make sense since the movie was not filmed in sequence.

It's possible, that the character development was something planned in the script. Costner's accent was sometimes inconsistently presented and so you probably noticed variations of it throughout the movie.
Old 07-26-01, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not see the movie when it came out in the theater. It was much better than I thought it would be.

I watched it twice. Once with just the movie. And then, I watched it with both of the "Pop Up White Lines" and the "Infinity Selection" turned on at the same time(you have to drill down into the "Infinity" menu to turn both on at the same time). The "Pop Up White Lines" was like reading the Audio Commentary, but you could still hear the rest of the moive. While the "Infinity Selection" was more interactive(Can choose to watch Kennedy's TV broadcast to the nation while the movie shows the actor doing the screen - very cool feature!).

The video was very good(a little soft at times, but no big "Edge Problems").

The Sound had some bass during Jet, Navy and Bomb scenes.

Movie = B
DVD = A

Looking forward to seeing how some of the other Infinity DVDs turn out.
Old 08-03-01, 10:55 AM

no DTS or subtitles ??

In all the previous replies I don't see anything about the fact that (despite the fact that in all the specifications throughout the Internet there should be DTS on the DVD) there is NO DTS on my DVD?

Furthermore, I don't get the English subtitles to be activated?

Does anybody have answers regarding these issues.

Greetings from Holland!