Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted:High Noon (1952) DVD

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted:High Noon (1952) DVD

Old 07-05-01, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested in purchasing the DVD... High Noon. The original movie with Gary Cooper. I think Republic is the company that makes the DVD and I know it has a documentary.
I can't find any info on it except what Amazon has:

• Black & White, Closed-captioned, THX
• Theatrical trailer(s)
• "The Making of High Noon", a documentary hosted by Leonard Maltin including interviews with Lloyd Bridges, director Fred Zinnemann and producer Stanley Kramer
• Production stills

I have seen the movie already but am wondering about the picture and sound quality. Also is the documentary any good? How long is the documentary?

Thanks
Old 07-05-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't gotten around to the documentary yet, but the picture and audio quality are great considering the age of it. I also think I heard somewhere that this was a low-budget film, so if this is true, the quality of it is excellent. If you're a fan of the film, I say buy it. I was lucky enough to find a copy at a local Media Play for $12.99 .
Old 07-06-01, 03:54 PM

Thanks,
I would definetly buy it if I found it for $12.99

The best I found was $20 at Borders. There aren't too many bargain stores in Hawaii.

$20 would be worth it to me if the documentary is any good.
Old 07-06-01, 05:43 PM

The documentary runs only about 20 minutes, but it's a packed 20 mins. It really is informative, with nice background stories on all of the major players and good production stories. Maltin knows the movie very well and obviously loves it. All around it's a very good disc, with a picture that's great considering the age of the movie. Sound is mono but it sounds fine.

Check around on-line and you should be able to find it cheaper than $20. If Media Play has it for $12.99, that tells me that the disc had a price drop sometime in the past and Borders hasn't caught on for some reason.
Old 07-06-01, 06:55 PM

I haven't had a chance to see the documentary yet, but I haven't seen the film look or sound better. High Noon is a classic and should be in everyone's collection. The excellent A/V quality does it justice.