Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Black Orpheus CC

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Black Orpheus CC

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you!
Old 07-04-01, 11:01 PM

review black orpheus

This is one of my favorite films, and seeing it on the Criterion dvd was wonderful. I had always thought that it was in widescreen, thats how its listed in some film books, but it wasn't shot in widescreen, still the transfer is beautiful. Outstanding things about the film is the music, the lush color and several fine performances.
Old 07-04-01, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...you're welcome!...

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-.../Black_Orpheus

NOTE: the review consistently calls the director (Marcel) Camas... that, of course, should read: Camus!... but I'm sure you knew that already!...

. . . . . .
Old 03-02-02, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

finally popped this into my DVD player. one of the most beautiful and vibrant films you'll see--non-stop rhythm and color coupled with a compelling story. The Criterion transfer is MUCH better than my memory any version i had seen in the past (in a theater and i believe on laserdisc).

I highly recommend this disc to both people who have seen this movie in the past and those who have never seen it before.
Old 03-03-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second what everybody has said!

Orfeu Negro's luscious colors, great music, classic retellling of the Orphic myth make for a great film. Watch it back to back with Jean Cocteau's gorgeous B&W (1.33:1 ratio) surrealistic Orphée (1949), also available on DVD from Criterion.

Also highly recommended, though currently only available on VHS is The Fugitive Kind (1959 same year as Orfeu Negro), starring Marlon Brando and directed by Sidney Lumet from Tennessee Williams' play Orpheus Descending.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 03-04-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Review wanted: Black Orpheus CC

I just picked up the Art House Essentials DVD of this film, which I had never seen before. This is one of the best blind buy films I have ever seen. This is one great film from that time period. It's probably the most exciting, sexy old movie i've seen that's not a James Bond film. I wish I could find more timeless movies from more than 50 years ago that have such excitement and no censorship.

As I was watching this film, my wife came in and couldn't figure out if it was a film from the 1970s or the 1990s. That's what a good film it is - ahead of its time...

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-04-09 at 12:50 AM.